• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agoelesina - went to your website. must say, the soles are nice and have a nice bevel to the waist. the last the shoes are on are nice and chiseled. the sole might be better off double sole tapering to single sole at waist.

you should add more of your shoes to your website.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, anyone who really appreciates their work would research the place where they wished to post [& advertise] their goods to anticipate reception. Any amount of lurking would have revealed that this isn't the sort of shoe received here favorably by the masses. I can appreciate the disdain for the negative reception of one's hard work. But a wise man once said, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
IMHO, anyone who really appreciates their work would research the place where they wished to post [& advertise] their goods to anticipate reception. Any amount of lurking would have revealed that this isn't the sort of shoe received here favorably by the masses. I can appreciate the disdain for the negative reception of one's hard work. But a wise man once said, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

But persons could certainly use a lesson in politeness and also real criticism.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
But persons could certainly use a lesson in politeness and also real criticism.

+1

I appreciate seeing the work of an artisan, even if it isn't completely to my taste, and it concerns me that flippant, dismissive comments will prevent them from wanting to post their wares.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
+1

I appreciate seeing the work of an artisan, even if it isn't completely to my taste, and it concerns me that flippant, dismissive comments will prevent them from wanting to post their wares.

Hey, if you've got something good, your work will speak for itself.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Artists always have suffered the slings and arrows, some cut off an ear, some quit posting.

Live goes on.

And just who are these masses you speak of? My nuckles have been off the ground for at least a generation.
laugh.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's easy to shoot off on the internet. If this was real life, and you were at some artisan fair, would you walk up to a shoemaker and tell him that his creations are hideous? Maybe, but it would be pretty asinine of you to do so. There are better ways to express yourself.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IF this^ was directed at me, I most certainly would go up and say this in person. I actually make it a point not to say anything I wouldn't say to someone's face. Of course, in person, a conversation might ensue where I would be able to offer my criticisms. Or a fight. Either way I'm game.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
the actual calf used looks less than top notch.

i do not agree.

unfortunately italian shoemakers are somewhat underrated/underrepresented on sf. would like to see more. they are certainly amongst the top class in the world.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoelesina
p1020365s.jpg

By agoelesina at 2010-01-28

antiqued finish, box calf, wholecut style, Norwegian welted, goiser stitched...

p1020359c.jpg

By agoelesina at 2010-01-28

I love them! Certainly not for everyone, though. IMO, this shoe has great lines, a gorgeous color and while the welt stitching isn't for the faint of heart, I believe it works really well for this model as a whole.

Bellissimo! Keep up the good work!

agoelesina

Reaction score
A particular thanks to IndianBoyz, Cary Grant, imatlas and unjung, I appreciate the comments. I have another "werd" pair of shoes in the works
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoelesina
1. Thanks fritzl: maybe you could better comment on this, since you are from Austria. The stitching, which takes some noteworthy skill to execute, is called "Goiser" (from the Austrian town of Goisern) on norwegian welt,

2. ....and is actually quite widespread in continental Europe, maybe not in the UK or the US, but on the continent it's actually considered conservative/casual. But it is far from a novelty I just did a "remix".

1. hmmh, yes and no.

it looks slightly different from what i know under "goiserer" stitching. yours has a three row and mine

here and here

i can confirm, that it takes a lot of skill. fortunately, i have a young shoemaker here, who does it "perfect" and yes i live 20 miles away from the town Bad Goisern - www.goiserer.at
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

it's not really widespreaded, but you find it on the haferlshoe, which is part of our and bavarias national costume.

Haferlschuh
Hofsttter5.jpg

darlynx1234

Reaction score
That is an EG plymouth i think...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads