• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Narrow waist, large thighs: what are my options for trousers?

Howfener

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today was going to be a big day for me: I was going to buy my first sport coat. To my horror, however, when looking in the full-length mirror at the shop I realised that my trousers just don't fit at all well. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a new jacket when I had to keep tucking my shirt into my waistband and hoisting my trousers up from around my arse.

My problem is that too much squatting has made my thighs and arse disproportionately larger than my waist. This becomes a problem when buying trousers off the rack. My only decent pair of trousers are a RTW pair with a 34" waist to fit over my thighs, but this means they just won't stay up. Thus my trousers look like hell because they don't hang properly and I have to keep pulling them up, and my shirt won't stay in because my waistband has about 3" to spare.

What are my options? I'm hesitant to get the trousers waisted because such a dramatic change might make the silhouette look ridiculous. More pertinently, it tightens the fabric across my crotch making my junk more visible.

Am I going to have to suck it up and pay for MTM trousers? Or are there brands which cater to people with this problem?

Here are the trousers shortly after I pulled them up to my waist. I seriously had to censor my crotch because the fabric becomes so tight that everything is on show. (Please ignore my shirt hanging out. As I said, it's another annoying consequence of the problem.)

manofstyle

Reaction score
Go bespoke, I mean how many pairs of light grey trousers do you need?

For most other occasions, chinos are inexpensive. I find that American brands are roomier in the thigh. I buy chinos in all colours from J Crew, I am a 30 waist with largish thighs.

overdog

Reaction score
mc-hammer.jpg

In all seriousness, I once had a pair of Faconnable chinos that were very full in the leg but flat front as well.

oroy38

Reaction score
Quick fix:
Buy pleated pants. The pleats will give extra fullness throughout the thigh and hang better than flat fronts would on your legs. And no, pleats actually don't look that bad! They just gotta fit right.

Or go bespoke.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you avoid slim legged pants [cigarrete type] I think you'd be fine.

31 inch waist? Which I guess means you're buying 32?

Howfener

Reaction score
Hmm some good ideas so far guys. I'm not sure about pleats given that I'm only 22, I think flat-front trousers look more appropriate for my age.

I've been quoted MTM trousers starting at £195. Is this reasonable? I certainly can't afford that at the moment, though could save up for them over a few weeks if they would be a good investment.

Originally Posted by Nicola
If you avoid slim legged pants [cigarrete type] I think you'd be fine.

31 inch waist? Which I guess means you're buying 32?

34 waist because 32 won't fit over my thighs and arse. I can fit my fist between my waist and the waistband but, when I'm sat down, can't pinch any extra material on the thighs.

drop

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I've spent a lot of time and money buying size 34 (or 36) trousers and having my tailor take in the waist. Now I'm slowly replacing all of 'em with MTM, and the results are much better.

Perhaps you could try internet MTM, if local options are too spendy?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you do front and back pleats, it will be okay. That's still age appropriate and should help drape better than a truly flat front.

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Howfener
Hmm some good ideas so far guys. I'm not sure about pleats given that I'm only 22, I think flat-front trousers look more appropriate for my age.

Flat front trousers that squeeze your junk are hardly "appropriate" regardless of your age. Doesn't matter how old you are, if they fit, then they fit.

Gobe

Reaction score
I also have a similar body structure. I typically will buy my slacks in a larger waist size. The larger the waist size the larger the leg openings.

Then it off to the tailor to adjust the waist. This has been been the best workaround.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those legs don't look out of porportion. I know some brands make very skinny legs but not all brands do. The biggest point of thighs are only 4cm smaller then my waist. I can't fit skinny legs but otherwise I'm fine.

FWIW Italian pants are sized on your hip/butt area. So at least it's easier to figure out that part of the question.

manofstyle

Reaction score
I've been quoted MTM trousers starting at £195. Is this reasonable? I certainly can't afford that at the moment, though could save up for them over a few weeks if they would be a good investment

A local tailor should be charging £150 upwards for a pair of trousers in a basic fabric, MTM at £195 sounds expensive.

You could also drop your bodyfat a bit, I'm not calling you fat, but the thighs are one of the obvious places where bodyfat initially falls away, in my experience anyway.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about pleats given that I'm only 22, I think flat-front trousers look more appropriate for my age.

Bull. ****.

If you want trousers to hang properly, what about braces/suspenders? Extra room in the waist=no problem.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
You could also drop your bodyfat a bit, I'm not calling you fat, but the thighs are one of the obvious places where bodyfat initially falls away, in my experience anyway.

Did you actually read his post?

too much squatting

^ I don't think fat is the problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads