• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Question for those who have played Dragon Age and WoW or Everquest or Morrowind/Oblivion:

I'm thinking of picking up Dragon Age: Origins for my PC

Wanted to know about standard load times and GUI... does your PC need to be state of the art to reduce load times, and what can be expected from a middle of the road PC?

Also, what kind of view options are there? My preference is to be able to control the view similarly to WoW and Everquest and Oblivion, where you move using the "A, W, S, D" keys and moving the mouse moves your view if you right-click and hold down, and where scrolling the mousewheel up/down acts as a zoom in/out feature. Also, this enables your main character to remain in the center of the screen no matter what's going on, unless you physically change the view-type.

Is this style of view/play possible in Dragon Age? Because I tried Neverwinter Nights 2, and quit after one day due to the lack of view-control I'm used to while playing Everquest and/or WoW.

And finally, what has more total play time: Dragon Age, or Oblivion?

Thanks

My brother's middle-of-the-road PC plays Dragon Age just fine. Vista requires more from your PC than XP does. Load times are contingent on your hard drive fragmentation; defrag if you want them reduced.

There is a view option like the one you're familiar with in WoW. It's the one I use, although if you zoom out all the way the controls turn into the RTS-type, with the ability to select multiple characters and scroll the screen. You can always zoom back in for controls to reset to WASD. Mousewheel controls the zoom.

Oblivion has way more playtime. I still haven't explored every Ayleid ruin yet.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
My brother's middle-of-the-road PC plays Dragon Age just fine. Vista requires more from your PC than XP does. Load times are contingent on your hard drive fragmentation; defrag if you want them reduced.

There is a view option like the one you're familiar with in WoW. It's the one I use, although if you zoom out all the way the controls turn into the RTS-type, with the ability to select multiple characters and scroll the screen. You can always zoom back in for controls to reset to WASD. Mousewheel controls the zoom.

Oblivion has way more playtime. I still haven't explored every Ayleid ruin yet.

Awesome, thanks much for the answers!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psyren
Anyone try the battlefield demo?

I assume you mean Bad Company 2. I play the multiplayer Beta it for PC. It's pretty taxing on hardware at higher levels of detail/quality but looks great. The game is loads of fun. It took me about half an hour to get reacquainted with the style of gameplay; it's VERY different from a MW2, but if you're familiar with the Battlefield series it should be like riding a bicycle. The Beta limits your rank and about 3 weapon unlocks per class. I only have a couple left to unlock.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Update: played House of the Dead Overkill for a few hours Sunday and yesterday. Still pretty fun and funny, really weird/sick storyline, pretty short overall but fun.

I do wish I had known that the Perfect Shot guns are pretty uncomfortable after a while. The grip area is really blocky and square and eventually kind of cuts into your palm. They work fine if you are holding them lightly though. And I don't know that there is necessarily a good substitute anyway.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I do wish I had known that the Perfect Shot guns are pretty uncomfortable after a while. The grip area is really blocky and square and eventually kind of cuts into your palm. They work fine if you are holding them lightly though. And I don't know that there is necessarily a good substitute anyway.

Can you get a Hogue Handall grip sleeve on there, or would that interfere with function?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
Can you get a Hogue Handall grip sleeve on there, or would that interfere with function?
You could try putting a grip sleeve on it, but it would make it even bigger than it already is (it's thicker and squarer than a Glock). What we need is one of these with interchangeable grips or at least backstraps. (and a real lightweight trigger mechanism)

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psyren
Anyone try the battlefield demo?

I cant see anything. Everything is the same color in the demo. They dont let you go prone either. I'm not a huge BF fan, but 2142 was the best IMO.

Psyren

Reaction score
It's probably your TV/monitor it's easy to spot things in the map. And yeah I spend so much time playing 2142 on PC when it came out like 4-5 years ago, plays kinda like BC2, minus Titans and gundams.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nintendo Game sells for $13k

link to the Ebay Auction

Originally Posted by yahoo
Everyday folk discovering colossally valuable collectors' items amid everyday junk has been the lifeblood of antiques shows for years, but it's not every day you see a real-life gold-in-the-attic tale play out on eBay.

Last week, North Carolina eBay user lace_thongs35 thought she was putting up an everyday, 80s-era Nintendo Entertainment System (together with five games) up on the popular auction site. But less than an hour after the first bid, the price was over $6,000 -- and on Wednesday, when the auction closed, the final selling price topped $13,000.

Why? Not the console itself, but one of the games bundled with it -- a deeply obscure 1987 release called Stadium Events, a highly sought-after collectors' item. But it wasn't even the game itself that was worth the bulk of the money -- it was the original cardboard box, which collectors value at a breathtaking $10,000. Fewer than 10 complete copies of the game are thought to exist, and retro gaming aficionados consider it one of the hardest-to-find NES games ever made.

Bet you're wishing you hadn't let Mom throw out your Nintendo collection now, eh?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Man, and I thought getting $80 for my Chrono Trigger cartridge was good.
smile.gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lace_thongs lolol

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dragon Age is a fantastic game. Any mid-range PC should be able to handle it just fine. Grab Mass Effect 2 while you are at it. Another great game.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Dragon Age is a fantastic game. Any mid-range PC should be able to handle it just fine. Grab Mass Effect 2 while you are at it. Another great game.

Yeah I got Dragon Age installed today. Will start playing it on Monday

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in the game, (unlikely but I'll chime in any way), I have been playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat since I got it a few days ago. It really is fantastic. Much better than the second in the series (Clear Sky). Have not completed it yet; have been taking my time running side jobs and missions to gather as much cash and equipment as possible before venturing in to Pripyat itself.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the Heavy Rain demo. I think it's amazing. I'm tired of shooters, rpgs, and everything in between, and this game seems to fit my current gaming needs. They did a great job with the ambient sounds, too. I played it in 5.1 and everything sounded awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads