• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I fix my social skills?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They let male non-members/pledges into fraternity parties these days? That's a change.

I disagree with sho'nuff. I think your better off just getting used to talking to people. I also disagree that people need a reason to have a conversation. I am frequently at parties where I talk just to talk. I mean, what the heck else are you going to do?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ please explain. if you think that you'll get a good response from a dude (ie make a friend) if he thinks you're hitting on him, you are wildly out of touch.

i'm guessing this is yet another case of wild oversensitivity to anything even mildly related to homophobia. i don't let that phenomenon keep me from discussing things realistically.

separately, **** off (for calling me stupid for no reason...)

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
^ please explain. if you think that you'll get a good response from a dude (ie make a friend) if he thinks you're hitting on him, you are wildly out of touch.

i'm guessing this is yet another case of wild oversensitivity to anything even mildly related to homophobia. i don't let that phenomenon keep me from discussing things realistically.

lol8[1].gif
and
facepalm.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quoted for stupidity.

limester816

Reaction score
It's hard to meet people at parties like that. People go in groups, and stay in their groups. Like you said, even if you barely know someone, but recognize them at a party, it's like you've just met a long lost friend (assuming you're both drunk). I guess the trick is to meet more people sober, and once you get drunk with them, you'll connect that much more.

I don't know if that helps or not.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tips from those other threads I mentioned and which I agree with condensed:

Do stuff. Follow interesting classes. Go follow some sort of course: Photography, dancing, writing, anything really. Join a club, any club. Talk to the people who follow the course, are members of the club. You already have a subject...

Talking to strangers at such close knitted parties is next level stuff. You may someday get there. Most likely you'll get there some of the time but not other times. Just as most everybody else. It doesn't matter.

But most importantly, be
careful not to come off as gay if talking to a guy. then everyone straight will avoid you. dressing too fancy will also cause this.
So don't dress to fancy.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
They let male non-members/pledges into fraternity parties these days? That's a change.

It was basically "see the group on facebook, go, pay $10, drink whatever you want, hang out." No one was invited, you just show up.

Also, thanks for the tips everyone.
smile.gif
I agree that I need to get involved in clubs and stuff, and that way I will meet more people and make lasting friendships.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the women I dated in college/university I met in class. You already have something in common then, so you aren't meeting somebody who is completely unknown. ALSO - not that anyone who is first year, as you are, is ALSO first year (or many of them are). So THEY don't know people either. They are probably feeling the same pressure/anxiety you are. SO take advantage of that. They will be HAPPY that you started a conversation with them.

Examples of conversation starters:

- On the way out of class to cute girl: "Did any of that lecture make sense to you?" Followed up with "How did you do on the last exam?", "Did you take any courses like this last year at your old school?". "Me and some friends had a study group back then... I'm thinking about having one now - give me your number/email and we can get together and study".

- And contrary to what people tell you on here, I got laid because I dressed better than the other guys. I was at a huge party one night and the hottest girl in the place, who had on a killer party dress (the only girl in a dress) walked right up to me and said, "Let's dance". She then was all over me on the dance floor. We ended up back in a dorm room. Not bad for a math geek.

At a frat house party - girls are there specifically to meet guys. So you can take the initiative and find two girls who are not with any guys: "Hey you want to meet some great guys, right?". Them : "Umm... yeah". "Ok, pick out any guys here, I'll introduce you to them". Then go find get the guys and say "Hey, these girls over here want to meet you". Then take the guys over. This makes the guys thankful to you - and the girls see you as somebody who is interesting and makes things happen. That makes you a good find. One of the girls *might* be interested in you... and/or you can find two other girls a bit later. The key to the above is to have fun with it. There are plenty of people there - most of them want to meet other people. Otherwise they'd be back in their dorm room reading or...

If it helps, practice the above before you go to the frat party. It's just a few lines and then you are off to get the guys. Pretty easy to do. And trust me, it works. I can't tell you the stuff I've pulled off just by changing things around a little. One example changes the "you want to meet guys" to.. "pick any girl you want to kiss".

But you aren't ready for the advanced material yet.
devil.gif

r...

Reaction score
Watch Donnie Darko often. Then pepper your conversations with quotes from the movie, it will make you sound real intellectual and ****.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ please explain. if you think that you'll get a good response from a dude (ie make a friend) if he thinks you're hitting on him, you are wildly out of touch. i'm guessing this is yet another case of wild oversensitivity to anything even mildly related to homophobia. i don't let that phenomenon keep me from discussing things realistically. separately, **** off (for calling me stupid for no reason...)
Sorry, but if you want to discuss this realistically, I have to say that "everyone straight" do not necessarily avoid gay guys, charming gentlemen such as yourself excepted.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Tips from those other threads I mentioned and which I agree with condensed:

Do stuff. Follow interesting classes. Go follow some sort of course: Photography, dancing, writing, anything really. Join a club, any club. Talk to the people who follow the course, are members of the club. You already have a subject...

Talking to strangers at such close knitted parties is next level stuff. You may someday get there. Most likely you'll get there some of the time but not other times. Just as most everybody else. It doesn't matter.

But most importantly, be So don't dress to fancy.

quoted for stupidity. i have just as much basis as you did.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred

- And contrary to what people tell you on here, I got laid because I dressed better than the other guys. I was at a huge party one night and the hottest girl in the place, who had on a killer party dress (the only girl in a dress) walked right up to me and said, "Let's dance". She then was all over me on the dance floor. We ended up back in a dorm room. Not bad for a math geek.

Gay.

quoted for stupidity. i have just as much basis as you did.
Quoted for stupidity.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just asked some people in the bar to teach me to play pool with some degree of skill.

Ended up playing for Pints for a few hours and it broke the ice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads