• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puerto Rico

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are traveling to PR Monday; staying in Fajardo with her grandparents. I'm looking for tips on:

- places to go/see
- restaurants
- sartorial shopping stops

On my list currently is going to Old San Juan, and hiking through El Yunque.

Thanks gents.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do a night kayak in one of the bioluminescent bays, either the one at Vieques or the Las Croabas Lagoon adjacent to Fajardo. The one at Vieques gets most of the coverage, but I think the lagoon is actually better as time passes because the structure of the bay is a bit more protective.

With that, hiking in the rain forest, and seeing the old city, you've got the highlights covered. Consider a zipline run through the canopy if you want to add something to the hike.

There are no good restaurants. If you want a semi-authentic experience, try La Parilla, which is one of the kioskos on the Balinareo, near the beach in Luquillo.

As for clothes: what?

- B

mr.loverman

Reaction score
Go deep sea fishing. There is a deep trench right off san juan. World class wahoo, yellowfin tuna, etc.

Saenek

Reaction score
Maybe a day trip to the beaches, etc on the south end of the island. Flamenco beach I think it was called is very nice, picturesque.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Do a night kayak in one of the bioluminescent bays, either the one at Vieques or the Las Croabas Lagoon adjacent to Fajardo. The one at Vieques gets most of the coverage, but I think the lagoon is actually better as time passes because the structure of the bay is a bit more protective.

With that, hiking in the rain forest, and seeing the old city, you've got the highlights covered. Consider a zipline run through the canopy if you want to add something to the hike.

There are no good restaurants. If you want a semi-authentic experience, try La Parilla, which is one of the kioskos on the Balinareo, near the beach in Luquillo.

As for clothes: what?

- B

Great advice; thanks. Fodor's told me there are good restaurants, but I was skeptical.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The better restaurants will be on Condado, which is relatively near Old San Juan.

I don't know that there are "good" restaurants in Fajardo. The Conquistador resort is probably where you will find the nicer, albeit over priced restaurants. I have not been to the east end in many years.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Great advice; thanks. Fodor's told me there are good restaurants, but I was skeptical.
I recall a couple of nice restaurants, but I have a better memory of some really tasty Mojitos. I don't remember the names of the places where I ate or drank.

I was there about three years ago and will likely return this summer, so this thread is of interest to me.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I recall a couple of nice restaurants, but I have a better memory of some really tasty Mojitos. I don't remember the names of the places where I ate or drank.

I was there about three years ago and will likely return this summer, so this thread is of interest to me.

Where to start? I lived in PR for 20 years so I can probably help. For starters there are dozens of local cheap restaurants all over the place. They are called fondas and are great for traditional food like rice and beans and chicken and mofongo. The kiosks at Luqillo are great. Have a couple cold Medallas as well. In the Condado you should eat at Ajili Mojili. Do visit the rain forest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads