• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
The thing that pisses me off about J.Crews sizing is that they market the shirts as slim. The models are wearing slim shirts. The shirts have to not only be pinned in the chest, but the sleeves and waist too.
If they can sell neon watchbands, leather flasks, jeans slimer than 511s, cummerbunds, satin bow ties, almost 70 different pairs of boots,... they can at least try making a slim fit shirt.

I think most j. crew shirts are not overly roomy. Depending on the type, some are slim. I don't think you'll ever see the secret wash be slim. That's not what it is. But the lightweight summer shirts get fairly slim.

If you want really slim, I guess you have to go somewhere else.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about how much great stuff is out there now from different retailers. Seems like J Crew may have started it; maybe the others are chasing them. But besides the great pieces coming out of J Crew, I've recently discovered M+O and been really impressed, and I even thought Levi's had some cool things in store besides jeans. To me, only BR seems to be lagging, but even then I think it's because they've chosen a different track, and it's just not to my taste. Gap premium jeans are better - although not as good as the Levi's selvedge IMO.

I think all these guys are stepping up their games. It makes it so that you don't have to reach for the EG, RB, or RRL to get some really cool, and oftentimes unique stuff. Then if you catch a sale...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The thing that pisses me off about J.Crews sizing is that they market the shirts as slim. The models are wearing slim shirts. The shirts have to not only be pinned in the chest, but the sleeves and waist too.
If they can sell neon watchbands, leather flasks, jeans slimer than 511s, cummerbunds, satin bow ties, almost 70 different pairs of boots,... they can at least try making a slim fit shirt.

I know that a few of the button up L and L-T sizes restrict the movement of my shoulders and arms because it's a little tight in those areas even if the rest of the shirt fits ok. Not sure if that qualifies it as "slim" or just an awkward cut for me, but if I decide to buy one of the shirts that fits me like that I will end up doing an XL-T and get it altered down a so I have the shoulder/arm movement.

xanatos

Reaction score
You know what I can't wait for is that blue greysh blazer that looks unconstructed in the solo ads. It looks cool cause it's all wrinkly and has a diff texture. Unless I'm just seeing things and it's a regular one. But if it's what I imagine. That'll be my splurge.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys don't mind all the stitching and the patch on Levis?

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
Anyone know which sperrys this dude is wearing? http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...1694/21694.jsp
m9atd1.jpg
looks like the sperry x jcrew collab i think they temp. took em off the site during the 20% off sale but they were there last week

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys don't mind all the stitching and the patch on Levis?

Since it's Levi's, I don't mind. It's their signature. It doesn't feel to me like it's someone trying too hard, because it's the way they have always been.

SpacePirate

Reaction score
anyone tried out the urban fit stanton pant? was wondering what the fabric was like because from the website pics it looks almost the same as regular chinos with a wider hem.

SpacePirate

Reaction score
ugh, it seems the black utility is on backorder til end of march in large. serves me right for waiting around too long i guess...

dunelly

Reaction score
i'm convinced all jcrew shirts are meant to be tucked + cuffed
i dont think there is a picture of their models wearing the sleeves fully buttoned

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpacePirate
ugh, it seems the black utility is on backorder til end of march in large. serves me right for waiting around too long i guess...

Don't worry about it. Its a lightweight shirt so you probably weren't going to enjoy it until Late March/early April anyway.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
You know what I can't wait for is that blue greysh blazer that looks unconstructed in the solo ads. It looks cool cause it's all wrinkly and has a diff texture. Unless I'm just seeing things and it's a regular one. But if it's what I imagine. That'll be my splurge.

its already out.. the selvedge cotton blazer.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MinnesotaNice
If you call M+O they can try to find an item in a store, and they will usually ship it to you for free. Awesome customer service, I think the quality is on par with jcrew, and the cuts are better in some regards.

they will also price match online sale prices if you find it in-store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads