• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney vs Perth

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its between the city and the coast and benefits from cooling wind (fremantle doctor)

its also got the benefits of the best resturants, schools, pubs etc

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Cool. I hope you and your new family like WA.

Thanks Justin
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
its between the city and the coast and benefits from cooling wind (fremantle doctor)

its also got the benefits of the best resturants, schools, pubs etc

Gotcha... great advice. Thanks
worship.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i suggest you find somewhere west of the city to rent.

Personally, I would start looking around Mount Hawthorn, for a small family rental - Federation era homes, medium blocks, close to beach, city center and shops. Hyde Park, Leederville, Mt Lawley and North Perth are also nice. There are some good areas around South Perth close to the river but then you are getting further away from the beach.

Simon Templar

Reaction score
Personally, I would start looking around Mount Hawthorn, for a small family rental - Federation era homes, medium blocks, close to beach, city center and shops. Hyde Park, Leederville, Mt Lawley and North Perth are also nice. There are some good areas around South Perth close to the river but then you are getting further away from the beach.

What are rents like in these areas? Just curious to see how they compare to Adelaide and Sydney. Say a 3 bedroom conventional, renovated home per week?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ever since I first found Perth on the map I have been fascinated by it. I imagine it is like the Lost World. Are there T-Rexes?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Aren't you guys worried about the next Hitler and stuff?

That's Palin, right?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ever since I first found Perth on the map I have been fascinated by it. I imagine it is like the Lost World. Are there T-Rexes?

Imagine a nicer version of San Diego, with the Napa Valley just below and inland ... and then nothing else until you reach the East Coast or Texas.

My old post grad history supervisor, Prof. Anthony Barker wrote some fascinating books on US-Western Australian cultural history during WWII and then when the spy bases were located in the North West. I highly recommend the former.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon Templar
What are rents like in these areas? Just curious to see how they compare to Adelaide and Sydney. Say a 3 bedroom conventional, renovated home per week?

In 2006 I was paying $410 a fortnight for a nicely renovated 2 bed & study federation home, medium sized yard, in a nice part of Mt. Hathorn. Then I moved OS.
smile.gif

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
In 2006 I was paying $410 a fortnight for a nicely renovated 2 bed & study federation home, medium sized yard, in a nice part of Mt. Hathorn. Then I moved OS.
smile.gif

Good to know some of the better areas.

BTW, I like your location
wink.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Good to know some of the better areas.

BTW, I like your location
wink.gif

There are much more expensive areas - but the ones I mentioned are a little younger and hipper but still very nice. Sort of like Surrey Hills or Glebe in Sydney, maybe?

If I were buying in Perth now, I'd look for an an untouched 1950s-era 3x1 quarter acre block former Homeswest property in Doubleview. Great location in a suburb that will continue to improve in value (as Homeswest sells off stock and gentrification rolls onwards). Also gives you an option to subdivide the block if you really want.

In reality, I live in the crusty, sweaty old Y-fronts of America: Houston, Texas! But we seem to have an Are You Being Served meme going in CEPM this week, so ......"third floor: ladies' underwear, going down".
smile.gif

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

not T-rex's, but most would argue the local males are fairly unevolved.

you also dont have to travel far to find Bungarras
2590838.jpg

or wallaby eating Olive Pythons
olive1ih4.jpg

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

probably add 50% to that now

check www.realestate.com.au

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool photos, Mr. H!

John, you might also want to look at Fremantle. Its got quite a scene, a few nice beaches and you can commute to the conservative business dress by train. Never appealed that much to me, but I can see the appeal.

This thread is making me homesick!
frown.gif

perth.jpg

l182b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads