• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor Custom Suits

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Can you specify button stance? For instance, the button placement on your jacket is a bit too high for me, so could they make it an inch lower? How do you think they would be with options that aren't on their site? For instance, I would prefer a hook tab waistband extension, side adjusters and forward pleats. Would asking for a suit from them to my specifications be asking for trouble?

I know other posters on here have been very detailed on the size (height), length and point design of their MTM shirt collars so I think they could do the same or like on the alterations of your suit.
I'll bet if you email them and ask they will respond.

Martin Syb

Reaction score
ModernTailor claims to offer bespoke tailoring. In my mind, bespoke means that you can ask for everything you want in term of measures, comfort, placement, options etc. Some options can be charged over the standard price I guess but feel free to ask them before order.

Slim fit pants are not an option. There's an option for slim fit (whole) suit. But there is a comment field at the bottom of the measurement page where I recommend to add precisions about your needs, how you measure yourself etc if different way from explained on the site.

For lapel/shoulder roping, I did my best with the picture. Not sure to be able to do better.
colgate.gif

I would say it is "normal", "main-stream", I did not ask for everything special about this.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Does the suit have pick stitching? Is the lining used in the body of the suit jacket also the lining used underneath the pocket flaps of the jacket?

Martin Syb

Reaction score
No pick-stitching. And yes, it is the same lining used for flaps.

BltByKrmn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.
If it's your first time to order ModernTailor suit, please order our suit swatches Just put a note that you'd like to order suit swatches so you can have a feel of the material we use.

When you get the suits after a couple of weeks and think that the fit needs alterations, please have it altered in your own local area. Once you have the measurements that you think is perfect for you (as advised by your tailor), then please make another order on our database. We'll send you another suit based on the new measurements you entered for FREE

Emma
ModernTailor Customer Service

I wonder if they are still doing this, I emailed them yesterday and this is the response I received (my questions are numbered):

Thanks for your inquiry. Please see the answers to each question:

1. Do you have a "suit gallery" similar to that of the existing shirt gallery?
- We will soon put up the suit gallery for our customers' shopping convenience. Our programmers are working on it already.

2. Are you able to copy a specific look?
- Yes. We do believe that you can design this specific look when you place your order. Our order process will enable you to style your suit from the lapel finishing to pockets.

3. I've had problems in the past with online tailors since they add too much to my provided measurements. Can you let me know if your slim fit is a true slim fit, not just a "slimmer fit"?
- Our fit is a true slim fit, however, if you do have a suit with a fit that you want, we'd rather have the exact suit measurements so we can just copy them. Or, if you will submit body measurements and want to be assured of your definition of "slim fit", we highly suggest that you tell us how much allowance you'd want for it so we can advise our tailor.

4. Are the fabric options limited to the ones listed on your website?
- At the moment, all fabrics listed on the website are the only ones available however, we continuously add more selection to our fabrics collection to have a wider variety.

5. Are the liners limited to the ones listed on your website?
- same answer as 4.

Should you have further concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Anne

a-rock

Reaction score
I wish they had more textured fabric like tweed and flannel, or more patterns for sport coats. Too many douchey blacks and grey stripes. They were giving out $50 vouchers back in Nov when they first launched the suits. I asked if I could still get the voucher and they obliged. Pulled the trigger on a single button peak lapel jacket. At first I thought it'd only cost me $115 because on top of the $50 voucher, I had $25 in credit on my account. Unfortunately they emailed me after I placed the order and said only the $50 suit voucher would be applicable.

Technically I probably could have argued with them but I said what the heck since they've been good about customer service and I didn't mind keeping the remaining credit for future shirt purchases. They also gave me another $10 credit on top of that (with similar caveat that it had to be used separately from the other credits.) It's a fair policy although they really need to have a way of keeping all those credits separate in their system. Right now I just have a big lump sum of credit on my account, with a whole bunch of caveats that they're supposed to be used for separate orders of which there's no way to account for.

a-rock

Reaction score
yup, they call it top-stitching on the website.

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
A poster in another thread said that he e-mailed them for a picture of the "top stitching" and that it is NOT "pick stitching". I believe he described it as "something out of the 70s".

a-rock

Reaction score
Holy $%#$. I just emailed them and told them I do NOT want the BeeGees option on the lapels. I hope it's not too late because my order doesn't say processed yet. When I sent in the order I got a confirmation but it noted that their factory is closed until 2/19 for Chinese New Yrs.

suiturself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
Holy $%#$. I just emailed them and told them I do NOT want the BeeGees option on the lapels. I hope it's not too late because my order doesn't say processed yet. When I sent in the order I got a confirmation but it noted that their factory is closed until 2/19 for Chinese New Yrs.

good luck
blush.gif
that really does look awful. i was thinking about getting a suit from them (very happy with my dress shirts from MT) but i want to see people's impressions first.

Cal Bear

Reaction score
+1

I need to build a work wardrobe quick and this seems like a great way to buy 3-4 suits without spending $5000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads