• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
Lets see...I am a college educated working professional and most people I associate with are as well. I am saying that sadly most college educated 20 somethings working professionals prefer to dress like slobs and prefer men to look like some bum in college
20 somethings? Heck, even many college educated 30-somethings (and some 40-somethings) working professionals prefer to dress like slobs and prefer men to look like some bum in college! (Disclosure: I live in Atlanta, so this is quite normal).

Originally Posted by Patek14
My SF wisdom for 20-somethings is dress well because you prefer to and because you have self respect, not to look good to 20 somethings females
Definitely! Do what makes you happy in life. People will be drawn to you automatically.

lyonnaisdecoeur

Reaction score
as a college undergrad, i can say that it definitely goes both ways.....if you are the type of arrogant frat-boy who dresses in tight abercrombie polos and flip-flops then you will have no problems with girls....as long as you spend all day in the gym....that said, if you wear a suit to class then you will not meet any of the 'fun' girls who hover around the frat guys....i think the problem with the people wearing the suit...is that there is a really dorky kid who wears a suit poorly, meaning one right off the shelves at macy's that is 2 sizes too big....he also thinks he is the next senator....girls really aren't too interested in this.....personally, i go to school in nyc, and people can get away with dressing up fairly nicely....i sometimes wear a decent jacket to class...and don't shy away from a nice sweater or anything....but if you over-do it then you will be stuck with the strange girls....no one wants that....my best advice....wear lots of burberry...if you wear anything showing the burberry design then you will have hundreds of naive clueless middle-class decently attractive girls jumping on top of you asking 'is that burberry?' try it, it works....not that i am an advocate for burberry or anything....i think the new england girl has officially ruined the burberry scarf

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lyonnaisdecoeur
if you wear anything showing the burberry design then you will have hundreds of naive clueless middle-class decently attractive girls jumping on top of you asking 'is that burberry?'

This is true... :)

Reaction score
You women want good looking guys. Full stop. What makes them good looking depends on the girl. But it's all about whether or not they like your face.

A good looking guy in a suit is stylish, a bad looking one is a dork.
A good looking guy in jeans and A & F is hip, a bad looking one is a slob.
A good looking guy in khakis is cute, a bad looking one is lame.

When a good looking guy surprises her at work, or sends her a card or buy her the perfume she smells best in or whatever rom-com bullshit, he's sweet. When a bad looking guy does it, he's creepy.

Girls say they like funny guys, they just laugh at whatever a good looking guy says.

Just be good-looking. Whatever else you do doesn't matter, they'll justify it if you're good looking enough.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by one random poster
You women want good looking guys. Full stop. What makes them good looking depends on the girl. But it's all about whether or not they like your face.

When a good looking guy surprises her at work, or sends her a card or buy her the perfume she smells best in or whatever rom-com bullshit, he's sweet. When a bad looking guy does it, he's creepy.

Girls say they like funny guys, they just laugh at whatever a good looking guy says.

Just be good-looking. Whatever else you do doesn't matter, they'll justify it if you're good looking enough.

Not really. Women want "attractive", not necessarily "good-looking" guys. To women, an "attractive" guy is one who is confident, has a good sense of humor, spikes their emotions, takes the lead and is fun to be around.

A not-so-good-looking guy can overcome his (lack of) looks with those traits, whereas a "good-looking" guy who does not have the above traits will crash and burn with women. I have seen it done countless times.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I do agree with you ...

If you're very good looking , you can wear flip flops and shorts and still being attractive to women.

All this debate about casual/smart is only paramount if you're average or below average looking..

If you're completely honest ,the same concept can be applied to women....

A model can wear bin bags and still look sexy when some have to make a effort to attract our attention...

Very shallow but terribly honest...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Not really. Women want "attractive", not necessarily "good-looking" guys. To women, an "attractive" guy is one who is confident, has a good sense of humor, spikes their emotions, takes the lead and is fun to be around.

A not-so-good-looking guy can overcome his (lack of) looks with those traits, whereas a "good-looking" guy who does not have the above traits will crash and burn with women. I have seen it done countless times.

Women think good looking guys are funny, smart and engaging. Women don't go after Jon Lovitz types because he's funny, women just tell you how funny they think Jude Law is. Or how Robert Pattinson "gets" them on an emotional level.

Confidence is important though. I'll agree with you on that.

(I'm not some ladder theory misogynist. Men are just as bad about this. We pretend that Hayden Pattiniere can do comedy and that Mila Kunis can act.)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I haven't read all of this crap but any woman worth it wants a dude that looks like he'll bust her in the head at any given moment, has just enough to inflict pain in her abdomen if he's feeling like it, can pick out the choicest women's pieces at any location and can dress himself well enough that she feels the need to keep up with him. Yet, he doesn't spend time in the mirror or take away from her bathroom time and doesn't shave every day.

Now, go bang out responsibly.

What BigBris1 is saying is women want to see in a man 4 basic things:
propsperity, intelligence, strength & sartorialism (P.I.S.S.).
laugh.gif

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I do agree with you ...

If you're very good looking , you can wear flip flops and shorts and still being attractive to women.

All this debate about casual/smart is only paramount if you're average or below average looking..

If you're completely honest ,the same concept can be applied to women....

A model can wear bin bags and still look sexy when some have to make a effort to attract our attention...

Very shallow but terribly honest...

laugh.gif
So true...
I love how some people still try to argue with this.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most relevant finding from a recent study:
In this article, individuals, particularly men, expressing humor were rated as more desirable than nonhumorous individuals for a serious relationship and marriage, but only when these individuals were physically attractive.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chouse
laugh.gif
So true...
I love how some people still try to argue with this.

A large dose of hypocrisy , a hint of jealousy and a little bit of self-esteem boosting medecine..

Most people on earth are between mildly to fairly attractive and fairly to frankly ugly...

The really good looking people can afford many sartorial mishaps whithout losing any of their attractiveness...

We can tell each other tales of intellectual inner beauty and all that crap but we do know that sleeping with people we do fancy is an enjoyable exercise...

columbia92

Reaction score

So you're suggesting that we'd be better off spending our hard earned cash on plastic surgery instead of buying descent clothe?

Reaction score
Nah, excercise a little to start. You'd be surprised how those extra pounds make you look older. Get a proper haircut, focus on grooming.

You'd be surprised how good looking the average person is when they take care of themselves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads