• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo vs H&M

gotlighters

Reaction score
On this forum, Uniqlo is mentioned a lot. There's always someone trying to sell a pair of chinos or Uniqlo denim. Also, people are willing to pay other people to buy stuff for them and ship it. I am from California and of course there isn't an Uniqlo here. I looked at the prices and the stuff looks like something you could find at H&M or even a Forever 21 Mens.

What is the hype all about?

What is the quality like? That of an H&M, Forever 21, etc?

If it's all that worth it, I was going to order some stuff over the phone.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly **** quality at reasonable-cheap prices. Similar to H&M. SF folks go apeshit over it because let's face it, most of them: a. are Asian or underfed whites or starving hipsters and thus have skinny Asian bodies that Uniqlo fits and makes them feel good about. I mean, a chest size of 37-38 is a "L"? Only in Uniqlo. b. it's relatively cheap and most of the people here are college-age or otherwise mooching off their parents. c. have never experimented with broad swaths of not-black-not-white-not-khaki-not-blue colours before. Ooh! A wine-coloured pair of denim pants! Or a forest green sweater! I am falling over myself to get to it! d. purchase it for the (insert designer) collaborations, which design notwithstanding, are of course are of the same ****** Uniqlo quality. They may not be able to actually afford the 'real' designer stuff as well, so this is as close as they are going to get to telling their friends "Yeah, I'm wearing a Jil Sander". e. think that any fashion by the japanese is automatically crazy hot. f. all of the above. That is all.

XeF4

Reaction score
This topic is better suited for SW&D, but its basically the same **** with a different name. Don't let anybody fool you and try to say Uniqlo is surperior. They are both in the lower end of the spectrum, but I wear H&M a lot and am more than happy with the price to quality ratio.

fox81

Reaction score
i love uniqlo. i own nothing from h&m

uniqlo is great for the staples. cashmere or merino knitwear. selvage denim. the quality is miles ahead of h&m

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
uniqlo is great for the staples. cashmere or merino knitwear. selvage denim. the quality is miles ahead of h&m
If your benchmark is H&M, well...
confused.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Mostly **** quality at reasonable-cheap prices. Similar to H&M.

SF folks go apeshit over it because let's face it, most of them:

a. are Asian or underfed whites or starving hipsters and thus have skinny Asian bodies that Uniqlo fits and makes them feel good about. I mean, a chest size of 37-38 is a "L"? Only in Uniqlo.

b. it's relatively cheap and most of the people here are college-age or otherwise mooching off their parents.

c. have never experimented with broad swaths of not-black-not-white-not-khaki-not-blue colours before. Ooh! A wine-coloured pair of denim pants! Or a forest green sweater! I am falling over myself to get to it!

d. purchase it for the (insert designer) collaborations, which design notwithstanding, are of course are of the same ****** Uniqlo quality. They may not be able to actually afford the 'real' designer stuff as well, so this is as close as they are going to get to telling their friends "Yeah, I'm wearing a Jil Sander".

e. think that any fashion by the japanese is automatically crazy hot.

f. all of the above.

That is all.

+11111. SW&D
ffffuuuu.gif

That being said, if you accept that the quality is nothing special, you can get fairly trendy clothes at prices far below those of its competitors (Gap, Zara, H&M). It's the cheapest way to get a serviceable pair of raw denim jeans with selvage, for instance.

Uniqlo cashmere.
confused.gif
That's unfortunate.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a reasonable amount of stuff from Uniqlo - a few oxford-cloth, button-down collar shirts, a couple of pairs of jeans and a couple of pairs of casual pants, a couple of v-neck merino sweaters, and a navy cashmere half-zip knit.

Certainly, the quality is not outstanding.
However, the jeans cost $30 or $40 each, the v-neck merino sweaters cost $20 or $30 each, and the cashmere knit cost $60.

The cashmere is thin (which is actually what I wanted), but I've worn it a number of times, by itself and under jackets, and I've yet to see any signs of wear or pilling.

I've been wearing the v-neck merino sweaters for a couple of seasons now and they've retained their shape well although their is a bit of pilling showing now, which I will have to remove.

Self-evidently, people's body shapes differ. However, I find that Uniqlo stuff fits me very nicely and at the prices they charge, I am certainly not going to complain.

Don't expect the shirts to be equivalent to Gitman Bros in durability and don't expect the jumpers to match up to Johnstons of Elgin or something like that, and just appreciate the fact that you are getting well-fitting clothes at ridiculously cheap prices.

Of course, the downside to that is the fact that the clothes are made by Chinese people working in dire conditions earning a pittance and that the factory probably contravenes all sort of international work safety and pollution standards.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Uniqlo products are made in China but they are also VERY cheap. At the very least you are not getting ripped off by brand name markups. Their goods have clean solid basic cuts and no external branding. The construction is good and the materials in their products range from OK to very good. For example, on the one hand they make jeans from very good quality Japanese denim, on the other they sell pretty much the cheapest cashmere products.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never describe Uniqlo as great quality, but it's much better than H&M. For basics like chinos they're fine and not all their stuff is low-rise skinny fit.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M? I'd describe Uniqlo as more of a Japanese Gap or Old Navy with slimmer fit and more poly/tech material.

I can't pull off half the stuff they have in store. Their shirts aren't made well; the quality of their clothing is cheap feeling. At least they charge cheap prices to match, I suppose.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos

SF folks go apeshit over it because let's face it, most of them:

a. are Asian or underfed whites or starving hipsters and thus have skinny Asian bodies that Uniqlo fits and makes them feel good about. I mean, a chest size of 37-38 is a "L"? Only in Uniqlo.

d. purchase it for the (insert designer) collaborations, which design notwithstanding, are of course are of the same ****** Uniqlo quality. They may not be able to actually afford the 'real' designer stuff as well, so this is as close as they are going to get to telling their friends "Yeah, I'm wearing a Jil Sander".

e. think that any fashion by the japanese is automatically crazy hot.

The man speaks truths

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
What with all the hatin'?
It's not hating. The stuff is relatively affordable. We're just trying to bring it back down to earth.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend bought for me a wool pea-coat at H&M. Quite nice, I really like it. No idea how much she paid for it though.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently went into a Uniqlo for the first time ever and was pleasantly surprised. They seem to have a wider price-quality range than somewhere like H&M and some of the jeans and sweaters were really nice.

I must confess to wondering if there's anyone who could actually get into their 'skinny fit' jeans however. The 'regular fit' ones I bought are my slimmest fitting trousers...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads