• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ate at Chicago's Osteria Via Stato today for lunch and Rick Bayless was sitting at the table next to me eating with his wife and daughter. I actually went to Xoco first, but they're closed on Mondays, so as he was leaving I told him that I went to his place first and Via Stato as a backup.

It's strange because I've seen him at least 4 times around town (from summer dance to restaurants).

Lowndes

Reaction score
Highly recommend Rivoli's in Berkeley, Ca. Best meal I've had in the Bay Area.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been in SFO for business this week... after some fine Dim Sum in Oakland Chinatown (much better than SF Chinatown, IMO), I had a fantastic dinner at the Wood Tavern. Reminded me a lot of West Town Tavern in Chicago (one of my absolute favorites), but with a different and very creative menu ... and incredible value for the money. Tonight I ate at Sebo, admittedly because it was on Anthony Bourdain. (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...5d9998e&ref=nf) .. but it was absolutely incredible. Was able to sit at the bar, the chefs were friendly, and the fish was divine. Lots of varieties you just can't get many places, especially off the west coast.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colicchio & Sons was very good. Nothing really too creative or surprising on the menu but strong flavors (I like that - a nice change from the watery "subtle" broths everything has been sitting in for the last few years) and great ingredients. A little too much repetition of pork and truffle accents IMO but everything I ate was very well executed. Desserts weren't too impressive but they often aren't. I'm not a huge fan of the space - hasn't changed much since Craftsteak but service is impeccable. Colicchio was there in and out of the kitchen and at the roasting station.

bullrams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I have been in SFO for business this week... after some fine Dim Sum in Oakland Chinatown (much better than SF Chinatown, IMO), I had a fantastic dinner at the Wood Tavern. Reminded me a lot of West Town Tavern in Chicago (one of my absolute favorites), but with a different and very creative menu ... and incredible value for the money. Tonight I ate at Sebo, admittedly because it was on Anthony Bourdain. (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...5d9998e&ref=nf) .. but it was absolutely incredible. Was able to sit at the bar, the chefs were friendly, and the fish was divine. Lots of varieties you just can't get many places, especially off the west coast.
Try Yank Sing for some great dim sums. Try and get a reservation - there is waiting time but worth it. imho!

ricecakey15

Reaction score
i thought yang sing was good but way overpriced for what it is when i visited. the best part about it is the sheer convenience of location

my two cents in the oc/la area:
providence: i went last month and it was wonderful. went on a monday night but it still filled up, just goes to show u what a great restaurant it is.
ikko: in costa mesa. i prefer this over blue fin (by a mile actually). was planning to go to kitayama to compare but havent had a chance. maybe on v-day?

WJSESQ

Reaction score
Heading to san diego this week and plan to stop at Georges in La Jolla, Donovans and will also make the trip out to the Stone Brewery. Any other thoughts for "can't miss" culinary delights?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
I ate at Chicago's Osteria Via Stato today for lunch and Rick Bayless was sitting at the table next to me eating with his wife and daughter. I actually went to Xoco first, but they're closed on Mondays, so as he was leaving I told him that I went to his place first and Via Stato as a backup. It's strange because I've seen him at least 4 times around town (from summer dance to restaurants).
Tried Xoco last week and am looking forward to the next time I can get there. Really, really fantastic. Menu starts with breakfast until 10 AM, lunch until 3 PM. Tortas are the main lunch offerings. They also have a variety of chocolate drinks made from freshly ground cacao beans. Desserts are great. I brought one of everything home with me. After 3 they add a soup menu I want to go back and try. Bayless can do no wrong. This is every bit as high quality as his other restaurants next door but a very simple basic menu. Have to go early or late, very long lines. Bayless was in the kitchen at Frontera when I ate there last week. Seems like a solid guy.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Tried Xoco last week and am looking forward to the next time I can get there. Really, really fantastic. Menu starts with breakfast until 10 AM, lunch until 3 PM. Tortas are the main lunch offerings. They also have a variety of chocolate drinks made from freshly ground cacao beans. Desserts are great. I brought one of everything home with me. After 3 they add a soup menu I want to go back and try. Bayless can do no wrong. This is every bit as high quality as his other restaurants next door but a very simple basic menu. Have to go early or late, very long lines. Bayless was in the kitchen at Frontera when I ate there last week. Seems like a solid guy.
Xoco's great... but on a nice day the line just never goes away
frown.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Xoco's great... but on a nice day the line just never goes away
frown.gif

First visit was around 2:30, no line. Went back the next week at 11:30 and people were waiting outside on the side walk to get in the door so I went to Frontera and got a table, no waiting, no problem.

At Xoco I had the torta with pork that is served vertical in a bowl of spicy tomato broth.

Let me know if you go back, would meet up there.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with pork the tomato broth torta as well!

I'm traveling next week, but I'll pm you to meet over there for lunch one day, maybe the week after. If I have a light day, maybe I'll start with a visit to your shop. I live a few blocks away, but have never been in.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with pork the tomato broth torta as well!

I'm traveling next week, but I'll pm you to meet over there for lunch one day, maybe the week after. If I have a light day, maybe I'll start with a visit to your shop. I live a few blocks away, but have never been in.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to xoco twice now and the first time I got a breaded chicken torta (good) and the second time I got the pork with tamato broth. While tasty, I found it nearly inedible after a minute or two as the broth made the delicious bread return to its doughy beginnings and all my pork and goodness spilled out into the broth. That sort of pissed me off (and I wasn't about to gobble up the sandwich in two minutes to avoid this), but I was more than placated by the pecan cookie, and absolute must. Probably one of the best cookies I've had in my life. The churros and ice cream combo (or just the ice cream with all sorts of goodness on top - caramel, bacon, pecans (iirc)) is also worth a second go around.

Having gone twice, I'm not sure if I'll go back. Total damage for my two sandwichs couple of churros and ice creams and pecan cookies was close to $50, which seems expensive after waiting in line for two hours (Even if my time is worth minimum wage, the real cost was closer to $70 - a meal at Topo).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dhc,
I can understand all your issues with that pork/tomato broth deal. I alternated eating both halves of the sandwich to avoid the soggy bread. Take a bite, return to broth, pick up the other half, repeat. It is a bit of an ordeal. It might be good to just dump it all into the broth and eat it with a spoon.
I will go back but wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes to get my order in.
I'm a big Bayless fan and I think the way he roasts beef and pork is great.
Those cookies are fantastic. Those little fruit tarts were tasty too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads