• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

mfais

Reaction score
been wearing my jeans for almost a month now, when should i wash them?

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the appeal people see in Imperials? They are completely over priced for what they are. For the same price you coul get much nicer denim and construction. The back pocket stitching ins't too nice either.

gvaz28

Reaction score
---Just realized that I didn't reply with the appropriate quote and not sure how to change it now.---

However the message I was replying to was #9154:

"Can you elaborate on what you like specifically about the 005s so we can guide you to other options?"

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been away from home. I like the fit of my Takumi's as well, but what I particularly like about the PBJ's is that they seem to fit better all around. By which I mean, they are the both comfortable and but the cut of the jeans makes me look slimmer at the same time, since there really isin't a lot of extra material around (which the Takumi's have). I don't know if that was a good description of what I like about the style, but that was the best I can think of. I guess I could post a pic if that makes more sense.

Also over the weekend I bought a pair of Momotaro 701's from Blue in Green. I really loved them, though am quite concerned about the size. The 34's (which I bought) are defintely tight. But when I tried on the 36's, they were too large. I really needed a 35--which of course, they don't make. So I am really hoping that the 34's will stretch out to close to my PBJ size. According to BiG's website, it won't stretch that much, but I didn't really know what to do. I really loved the denim and the cut.

Anyone have experience with them and the stretching? And i'll still take recommendations on more jeans, assuming that my description of what I liked about the PBJ's was more helpful! And like I said, i'd be happy to post pics of all of my jeans if that helps as well.

Thanks again, everyone on here is remarkably helpful!

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Whats the appeal people see in Imperials? They are completely over priced for what they are. For the same price you coul get much nicer denim and construction. The back pocket stitching ins't too nice either.

Have you felt a pair in real life? The denim is very nice; is it overpriced compared to it's competitors? Likely. But it's no scam, it's not by any means an inferior jean- some people like the backpocket stitching and they have nice fits.

boff

Reaction score
I've been through a few pairs of Nudie Regular Ralphs and feel like a change. Any suggestions? I like the whole raw denim thing, but since moving to Australia I need a jean that is no heavier than the Ralph (heat, humidity etc).

Jump Around

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Short answer is: whenever you want/need to. Don't matter really. Don't believe all the hype.

Just to make sure, when it stains or starts to smell go for a wash. And don't believe that washing jeans prolongs denim life?

MortyGras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula

I agree with you.
The denim is boring to say the least, the fit is yesterday SuFu style and the pocket stitching makes it all so uniform.
And i'm saying that wearing KMW with that horrible pocket selvedge.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvaz28
---Just realized that I didn't reply with the appropriate quote and not sure how to change it now.--- However the message I was replying to was #9154: "Can you elaborate on what you like specifically about the 005s so we can guide you to other options?" Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been away from home. I like the fit of my Takumi's as well, but what I particularly like about the PBJ's is that they seem to fit better all around. Also over the weekend I bought a pair of Momotaro 701's from Blue in Green. I really loved them, though am quite concerned about the size. The 34's (which I bought) are defintely tight. But when I tried on the 36's, they were too large. I really needed a 35--which of course, they don't make. So I am really hoping that the 34's will stretch out to close to my PBJ size. According to BiG's website, it won't stretch that much, but I didn't really know what to do. I really loved the denim and the cut.
If the Momotaro are too tight now, you may have a problem, and I usually wouldn't be so quick to say that with most jeans. They just don't stretch the way other jeans do. I've owned two pair, sized up on both, sold both and now have 32w which are perfect (I tried the 30 and 31). Send them back and get the 36, IMO. Then put them in the dryer if they're still too big after a hot soak. Important: Have you soaked these? If not, you will get and inch shrink in the waist, and they get considerably tighter, so the 36s may be ideal. Momo's are some of my all-time favorites. Sometimes it's just a trial-and-error till you get the right fit. The PBJ are amazing too. If you like the momotaro, try the new 013 PBJxBiG collabs. Awesome.
Originally Posted by Jump Around
Just to make sure, when it stains or starts to smell go for a wash. And don't believe that washing jeans prolongs denim life?
Yep. Wash when needed, soak occasionally to keep them smelling fresh and clean-ish. Washing is very good for the jeans and necessary to prolong their life. I meant the hype about having to wear for six months with no wash for any 'true' fading, or the hype about washing being horrible for indigo loss, marsupialing the fades, ruining the creasing, etc. It's silly.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boff
I've been through a few pairs of Nudie Regular Ralphs and feel like a change. Any suggestions? I like the whole raw denim thing, but since moving to Australia I need a jean that is no heavier than the Ralph (heat, humidity etc).
You are weak, there are people wearing IHs down there. Not familiar with Nudie cuts but look for denim 14.5oz and under, loose weave if you can find it (like the SExSC06 but they're only left in 28s and 29s). Rag & Bone has pretty lightweight denim, I'm perfectly fine skating in KMWs, PBJs, etc. both in low-humidity 100degF weather in Washington and high-humidity 100degF weather in Hawaii so they shouldn't be too bad for you
Originally Posted by MortyGras
I agree with you. The denim is boring to say the least, the fit is yesterday SuFu style and the pocket stitching makes it all so uniform. And i'm saying that wearing KMW with that horrible pocket selvedge.
I don't see what's wrong with the denim....... It's no IH heavyweight but it's quick fading and generally high-contrast. Different strokes for different folks.

schrike

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of black jeans for semi-daily rotation (so something I can wear in Seattle in the summer) -- requirements are slim cut, at least a 35" inseam post-shrink, waist size about 30". I have a few candidates so far: RJB 66BSPBK, IH 9301 (might be too heavy for summer?), Oni Black Fit @ BiG (not sure if these will be long enough after shrink).

Which of these would you suggest, or are there any other good options?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by schrike
Looking for a pair of black jeans for semi-daily rotation (so something I can wear in Seattle in the summer) -- requirements are slim cut, at least a 35" inseam post-shrink, waist size about 30". I have a few candidates so far: RJB 66BSPBK, IH 9301 (might be too heavy for summer?), Oni Black Fit @ BiG (not sure if these will be long enough after shrink). Which of these would you suggest, or are there any other good options?
Email BiG and SelfEdge and ask what they're stocking at the moment. 3Sixteen and that new EP brand have them for under 200. Both are lighter weight. http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ght-Leg/Detail http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=482 Jean Shop has a nice lightweight black jean too. Nice stuff. See Rocker 'X' cut with button fly. http://www.worldjeanshop.com/

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Could also make an appointment with Blue Owl if you want to see KMW/PBJ/SC/other offerings. I really like KMWs
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads