• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simple weight loss advice for college freshman

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LWAYS was one of those kids who could eat whatever they wanted, drink whatever they wanted, and not gain a pound. Rather always had a very decent physique/flat stomach.

They said it wouldnt last, and it didn't. Started college at 148-150, now im 165, and its actually noticeable, which I don't like. Quite literally gained the freshmen 15

I used to be on the swim and wrestling teams in HS, so that definitely helped me stay in shape. Nowadays I dont even go to the gym, but facilities are available.

I'm knowledgeable for what to do in weight training, it's the cardio that i'm unsure about.

Treadmills
Elliptical
Stationary bike...?

What are good cardio excercies to lose weight?

BP348

Reaction score
Any cardio exercise is going to help you loose weight.

The problem is finding the exercise you will do on a regular basis.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
drink light beer.

drink water instead of sugary drinks (including fruit juices)

eat a proper 3 meals a day so you dont pig out at night.

dont pig out at night.

eat less refined carbs, more higher quality carbs (ie low glycemic index), more lean protein, watch your fat intake

if you want to lose weight fairly quickly and safely google lyle mcdonald. i used his program to get down to about 10, 11% bf (-_-; although since i used calipers that could easily be 15, 16%)

ektaylor

Reaction score
Gain more weight.

Google "starting stength"

dhaller

Reaction score
A college campus is - in principle - a great place to stay fit; you have a campus to jog/run/cycle around, and access to fitness/swim facilities.

First, it's easy to eat/drink crap in college - so lay off the Doritos, Papa Johns and beer/cola. Keep on a regular, healthy meal schedule with healthy snack in between meals (like a banana or something).

Cardio is the foundation of any fitness regimen, but cardio for weight loss differs from cardio for fitness or endurance training... however, in your case (young and not *that* overweight) I think you can go straight for fitness. Try to get 30-60 minutes of cardio daily (mix it up for interest, running, swimming, cycling, whatever) and try to keep your heartrate in the aerobic zone (google this, but it's about 65-85% of your max heart rate, or 220-(age)) - it's worth investing in a heart rate monitor for this (you can get a basic one from Polar for 50 bucks).

After you get that routine going, look into Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program for strength training - muscle is much more metabolically efficient than fat (duh), so the more muscle you add, the more efficiently you'll burn food. Plus you'll be stronger, and it will be easier to schlep your big-ass book bag from class to class during those five minute breaks. By the way, do NOT ignore flexibility as you train for strength - learn to stretch. You probably have yoga classes at your school, and there are probably hot chicks in them, so don't pass that up!

Finally, college presents a ton of opportunities to get involved in sports - hook up with groups of people for tennis, basketball, golf, whatever. It's great for fitness, and also for releasing stress, very important especially if your college is pretty academically competitive.

Bear in mind too that fitness will promote clarity of mind, as well, and it's always good to be a bit smarter while you slave for that degree
smile.gif

DH
*spoken from someone who spent 10+ years in colleges getting 2 bachelors, 1 masters and 1 PhD*

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI

What are good cardio excercies to lose weight?

Start having lots of sex.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pizza, fries, dessert during the week. Have one day a week where you cheat, but that's it. Don't eat anything that comes out of a box.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
No pizza, fries, dessert during the week. Have one day a week where you cheat, but that's it. Don't eat anything that comes out of a box.

This. And try to cut out sodas as well. Also watch out for the munchies, when you're downing a box of pizza at 3am on a saturday it can easily set back all the progress you make during the week.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You were a wrestler and don't know how to cut 10 pounds, what's up with that, guy?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eat more protein. There, I think that covers all the folklore.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to college with zero muscle and all pudge. Not obese, but very close to overweight. I did not exercise in high school and I ate a lot of french fries and chips.

I probably lost 15 lbs freshman year and another 10 the next. I simply limited my intake of ****. I'd drink all the light beer I wanted one night a week and often had late night pizza one night, as well. My roommate freshman year actually became concerned that I might be chronically ill as I dropped the weight.

I did, however, nearly never take a bus anywhere and I was on a very large and spacious campus. I walked everywhere. My senior year, one of those walks was really ridiculously far. I'd give myself 45 minutes to rapidly walk it with a full book bag and it probably took me 35.

I didn't even consider loosing weight. Simply walking all day did it.

hastur

Reaction score
Your diet is a lot more important than doing a half hour of cardio every single day. Cutting out the (more than likely) massive amounts of carbohydrates/useless calories you're getting every single day from things like soda, juice, beer, and starchy foods is more likely to have a noticeable effect on your weight/body composition than just getting your heart rate up a bit.

Sherlock

Reaction score
Take up mountain biking or even just road biking. Not many fat bikers. Why would anyone ride a stationary bike indoors when they can be outside enjoying the scenery.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlock
Why would anyone ride a stationary bike indoors when they can be outside enjoying the scenery.

You've never lived in New England near the Canadian border, have you? Winter bike riding=snots glued to face, a strong desire to cry, and unshoveled sidewalks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads