• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The thread in which we assist vox in combining jackets and pants.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The back does look better. But the blockiness from the front flummoxes me. I think Foo has a good point about the coat looking a bit disconnected from the rest of the outfit, but I wonder if the shape isn't playing a role, rather than just the colors.

This gave me a tingle. Triangle flaps with buttons. (Do those have a name?) Though it might look odd with the patch breast pocket.

I call them envelope flaps or sometimes envelope flaps with button and buttonhole.
I think the breast flap would be vintage styling.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I call them envelope flaps or sometimes envelope flaps with button and buttonhole.
I think the breast flap would be vintage styling.

Thanks, D. So envelope flap on breast patch is done? I don't know that I've ever seen that, but I haven't seen all that many envelope flaps in general. I really like them.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, D. So envelope flap on breast patch is done? I don't know that I've ever seen that, but I haven't seen all that many envelope flaps in general. I really like them.

I saw this in a store window here in Chicago. Three patch, envelope flaps with buttons. Grey on grey plaid cloth IIRC. The patch had inverted pleats too. It really looked good. It was old school but modern looking. You would have bought it Doc...then purged it.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Navy blue pants are ugly. Navy blue corduroy pants are an abomination, and making them full is just adding insult to injury.

Originally Posted by srivats
Huh !? Since when ?

And on what planet?

Inquiring minds want to know, Foo.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
And on what planet?

Inquiring minds want to know, Foo.

Planet earth. Since now, or before, but you have now been notified.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw this in a store window here in Chicago. Three patch, envelope flaps with buttons. Grey on grey plaid cloth IIRC. The patch had inverted pleats too. It really looked good. It was old school but modern looking. You would have bought it Doc...then purged it.
That sounds right up my alley. I dig this funky linen coat, what with the absent breast pocket and envelope flaps below:
waywlinenstripefull-small.jpg
As for purging, it's not usually the quirky stuff that goes. Instead, I'm systematically eliminating the items that display good taste. That way, by the time I'm an old man, I'll always be dressed in the full-on crazy.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have a pair brick red, but on the bright side, Kiton moleskins that I might try. It's a pair that Eddie suggested earlier in the thread.

I don't have green pants. Odd, but true.

Maybe some day you'll make something for me...since you like that Scabal tweed jacket, maybe you can best it with that unmade length that I have.

- B

Vox, try the gun club with jeans and heavy khaki whipcords - a pair of whipcords from Ben Silver that have a lot of texture and a little more contrast than the H&S offerings work really well with the cloth. The cloth is a monster 19 oz and needs to be worn once or twice in the rain to break it in.

I have yet to find a tie that i like with the jacket but just received a S Hober dk maroon/brown grenadine, we'll see. The cloth is pretty bold and works well with an open collar.

Braised

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oddly, right after I posted this, I came across this on the Bay.

Charming in its vintage way.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might take up golf when I am 80. - B
Of all the things you do, I'm surprised you don't play golf. Judging by the drop in your right shoulder in your WAYWRN shots I'd guess you did play some sport that had a handedness (hockey, football, rugby, etc.), but not one that was extremely one handed (like tennis or pitching). Before there was cycling...what earned Vox his varsity letter in college?

BBC

Reaction score

Here's a linen coat I picked up a while back with button-down, envelope-flapped pockets with pleats (please excuse the crappy pics as it was a first fit pic) and the jacket also has bi-swing shoulders and a belted back.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox - the gun-club is crying out for green cords, pale blue shirt(or maybe white with a subtle overcheck) and an ascot in either a bright yellow/gold or read.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alright: 99% of the assistance comments were about the gun club jacket. I see two camps:

A. The mid-gray to charcoal solid pants crowd:

niidawg3: try it with mocha (dark brown/chocolate) pants ... also with charcoal pants, but without those shoes ... go for leather vs suede.

SkinnyGoomba: I think that brown jacket would look good with mid gray pants and dark charcoal without stripes.

Mildly Consumptive: I would prefer Navy moleskin, or cinnamon cords, and lighter grey pants for sure. And by lighter I mean medium grey. Also, I like the idea of pomegranate moleskins, but not cords.

Parker: How about mid-light gray pants? Seems like they'd go with all of your jackets. Too boring?

mafoofan: I think you need lighter grey pants and a different tie to make this work--but it's really the tie that kills it. A brownish, reddish one would make a world of a difference. From a regular viewing distance, beige and red are the jacket's predominant colors. The coloration is warm and bright. Dark, muted, cool colors will naturally clash. The clashing is made even worse if you don't reference the bold, red overcheck elsewhere in the outfit.

B: The bright, textured pants crowd:

ajv: Mustard pants, "Red-ish" tie

A Y: For colors, I'd try orange, maybe red, green. Basically, something brighter and more colorful, and more textured to stand up to the gunclub.

philosophe: concurs with A Y

BBC: I love the gun club check and might try pairing the jacket with mustard moleskins, heavy green flannels, or red corduroys. I have a pair of green flannels that probably get more use than any other pair of flannels during the colder months.

edmorel: Anyway, try the kiton brickish twill cotton pants you have or the RL light grey flannel.

braised: Vox, try the gun club with jeans and heavy khaki whipcords - I have yet to find a tie that i like with the jacket but just received a S Hober dk maroon/brown grenadine, we'll see. The cloth is pretty bold and works well with an open collar.

ManofKent: Vox - the gun-club is crying out for green cords, pale blue shirt(or maybe white with a subtle overcheck) and an ascot in either a bright yellow/gold or read.

So, I'll try a solution from each camp shortly.

Back to the pic that launched this thread:

784619201_5g9HT-X2.jpg

I assume everyone hates the pants? Irredeemable?

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I assume everyone hates the pants? Irredeemable?

You could try recutting them as a jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads