• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

GloStiX

Reaction score
I'm considering Indochino for a fashion suit but I was curious if the SF'ers who have tried them were satisfied with the results. Especially young, slim guys. I want a suit as skinny as their model pictures, but I don't know their actual cut. I've seen a blog suggest you subtract 3 inches from certain measurements, etc. but I don't want to be at fault if I get a suit cut pencil-thin
biggrin.gif
They have a 20% off code right now (FREE20) so a basic poly/rayon suit is $240 shipped. Wrinkle-resistance is a benefit, but what are disadvantages of poly/rayon suits anyway? Thanks.

GloStiX

Reaction score
Hey MDGD, show us your new suit!

I'm glad to hear they are willing to accommodate special requests like surgeon's cuffs on the 1st suit, Left/Right arm/leg disparities, etc.

So if your tailor estimates the tailoring to >$75 they'll remake it? I need to find the best tailor in town then
smile.gif

sodamnred3

Reaction score
If you want a slim-fitting suit I would strongly suggest following the measurement tips on madetomeasureny.com. I ordered a suit from there recently, and I followed all the adjustments on the blog for the most part. For example, the blog suggests -5" from your measured bicep measurement. I thought this was extreme, so I only put -4". My bicep measures 13.5" around, so I input 9.5". The bicep on my suit jacket when I received it was ~7.75" across, so ~15.5" around.

The blogger is pretty spot on when it comes to the expansion to your measurements that Indochino's tailors will make. I definitely think the arm would look and feel better if I cut off the extra inch, so I am adjusting this on my remake. Remakes are free, but you have to pay return shipping, or you can use their $75 alterations credit if it's more convenient for you.

Suit quality definitely isn't the greatest, and is comparable to H&M/Zara.. but it's great for something that fits better than OTR suits at sub-OTR prices. Don't waste your money on their shirts or ties unless they're free, though.

If you want a more shapeless suit then I suppose you could do without the adjustments, but I would definitely cut some of the measurements that he suggests by a bit at least. I'm fairly sure it will turn out better fitting and you have nothing to lose besides shipping cost anyway.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to thread-crap or anything, but I have yet to see a picture of an indochino suit where
the shoulders look good. And shoulders are notioriously difficult to alter.
Heck, even their models on the web site seem to have not-too-great fit.

I was this >< close to buying a suit from them. I like the web site and the customer service along with their satisfaction guarantee seem to be great. But if you can't get the fit right on an MTM? If someone can point to pictures of well-fitting indochino suits, I'd appreciate them.

Redwoood

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Not to thread-crap or anything, but I have yet to see a picture of an indochino suit where the shoulders look good. And shoulders are notioriously difficult to alter. Heck, even their models on the web site seem to have not-too-great fit. I was this >< close to buying a suit from them. I like the web site and the customer service along with their satisfaction guarantee seem to be great. But if you can't get the fit right on an MTM? If someone can point to pictures of well-fitting indochino suits, I'd appreciate them. Redwoood
I agree their shoulders as they are made... their house style if you will, is pretty bad. However you can ask for natural shoulders and i'm pretty sure it will fix those ugly shoulders. I think I will purchase one with natural shoulders in the near future. in action:
dsc01118p.jpg

weilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothmoose
So here's an update and review on my brown flannel suit from Indochino.

SUIT QUALITY, 4/5: Brought it to my tailor and he agreed it's a very nice suit with good construction quality. The flannel is definitely on the lighter side, which is what I prefer, but might be too light for someone expecting a heavier fabric. Also, one of my buttons has a very noticeable hairline fracture on it. I know small defects are normal for horn buttons, but this button should not have been put on the suit.

SUIT FIT, 3/5 (initial), 4/5 final: So I ended up remaking my suit. When I ordered I asked for a slim fit. Honestly most were tweeks of measurements (0.5-1") adjustments, except for the jacket hips and crotch which where both adjusted around 1.5". It's just all the tweeks ended up over $140 so Indochino approved a remake instead. If I were not that picky we probably could have gone with less than $75 of tailoring. Not bad for a first try, but my advice to others is, measure your crotch area pretty tight, and if you're short like me, watch out for jacket hip flare. Also if you are measuring from and existing suit that is not as slim fitting, take 0.5-1" off your shoulder measurements. I guess it's pretty hard to nail it online the first time.

SERVICE: 5/5: Yup they want to keep you happy. Email questions are answered. And delivery was super fast for me 8 days for both the original suit and the remade one. The also accommodated all my special requests: surgeon cuffs on first suit, different sleeve lengths for L and R, etc.

OVERALL 4/5: I will likely order a suit from Indochino again, now especially they have my measurements nailed down. With the free tailoring or remake, they pretty much take the risk out of buying online. Just make sure you have a good tailor that can recommend the right tweeks.

OTHER NOTES: I took advantage of their 2 free suit special with a suit. Their shirts fit great the first time, better than Jantzen and Tailorstore one. However the material feels pretty cheap, maybe even cotton/poly blend, even though it says 100% cotton. I can tell you the fabric is pretty anti-wrinkle. I would only get the shirts as freebies.

Here are the pics below, let me know what you think. Sorry bad lighting and some shadows here.
- Indochino brown flannel suit
- Shirt and tie from Tailorstore.com
- flip-flops (not shown)

Shoulders are poor- divots. Also seems to be some pulling at the shoulders which you can see from the back below neck.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
I agree, the shoulders can be better. I would ask for less padding next time. I didn't notice the pulling from the back, not sure if that's due to my stance or something else. Overall, I actually had the shoulder width reduced 1/2&quot; as it was too wide along the side deltoilds were the arm meets the shoulder. Perhaps the pulling due to difference in my front to back shoulder balance?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linsook
I agree their shoulders as they are made... their house style if you will, is pretty bad. However you can ask for natural shoulders and i'm pretty sure it will fix those ugly shoulders. I think I will purchase one with natural shoulders in the near future. in action: {Img}
I presume that's what you want the shoulders from Indochino to look like? If they can't get their house-style shoulder right, I suspect they might struggle even more with special requests. But I guess somebody needs to go ahead and bite the bullet before we can come to any conclusions. Better you than me
wink.gif
I wish you the best of luck. Redwoood

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
just fyi,

You can use coupon code
REDFLAGDEAL
to get the usual 25% off, plus a free shirt and accessory.
Coupon expires on Feb 14th (though more are sure to come)

Damn, saw this post and pulled the trigger on the DB. Thanks for making me spend money.

worth

Reaction score
I know I am bumping an old thread, but I purchased an Indochino suit back in December. I was quite pleased with it, however, I do not have near the knowledge most of you have, as this is generally all very new to me.

What I can do for you is post some pictures of the suit. In addition I also got 2 shirts with the suit, which is what made me take the plunge. Got trousers, jacket, and two shirts for $369 which is a steal obviously.

I was so pleased in fact that I went back a couple weeks ago and bought 3 more shirts. They are due to arrive early next week.

So i'l go home this weekend and get some pictures of the suit and next week i'll take some of the new shirts that come.

Also, just a side note, i'm very much enjoying reading this site. I definitely do not have the budget for many of the items on here (hence the $369 suit), but I appreciate the ideas and recommendations you all have for each other.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by worth
[...]
So i'l go home this weekend and get some pictures of the suit and next week i'll take some of the new shirts that come.
[...]

Awesome. Looking forward to the pics.
smile.gif

Just make sure you use a timer or have somebody else take them, otherwise, the shoulders
will get distorted by your operating the camera.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads