• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm starting to figure this out...

...are you about to spring a hitherto unkown middle European horn button carver on all of us?

confused.gif

- B

surely not.

you spend a fair amount on your clothes and you write extensive exposures on tailoring details. so why would you want cheap lookin buttons on them, just asking.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
surely not.

you spend a fair amount on your clothes and you write extensive exposures on tailoring details. so why would you want cheap lookin buttons on them, just asking.

laugh.gif

Maybe I also enjoy irritating people on the InterWebs.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Those are not cheap buttons. They are expensive (and classy) Weldon horn buttons.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MAnton
Those are not cheap buttons. They are expensive (and classy) Weldon horn buttons.

Do not divulge Goon Member secrets.

- B

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Maybe I also enjoy irritating people on the InterWebs.

- B

that's for sure
wink.gif

not wanting to be a spoil sport, but overly discussing tailoring details bores me to dead.

fwiw, i like most of your stuff. i do not divide it into good or bad or best or whatever.

mostly it comes down to personal prefernces, which is normal and in the nature of human beings.

will go heia now.

keep it coming.

ps: thankfully you directed poo back to sartorial issues. he has a weighty word to it.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice-- the side-by-side helps a lot to look at the different styles. I guess the things I really like about the rubinacci are the sharp, wider lapels angled upward (at least, they look that way to me). I'd also guess that to achieve a nice drape on the jacket, the shoulders are cut a bit wider since softer. the lapels of the Steed look shorter, less angled, and might possibly have a slight space between the lapels and the collar?

Damn, I would really like to own a suit like that-- does Rubinacci ever do the USA-visit thing (now that I live in one of the civilized parts of the world again)? I'm guessing the price would be about the same as a brioni RTW, although it would take a year to complete.

Funny that the Rubinacci has a lower pocket-- I guess Isaia must have copied this hallmark of the Neopolitian-style coat, as I was just commenting on this on an Isaia sportcoat the other day.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
It's part of the charm of the tailoring style and suit. You are also in good company:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...613#post898613

--Andre

you must be kidding. this little pisser was entertaining but not to be taken serious for quality issues. i remember, that i didn't and still do not saw an issue with the buttons.

much more important. what happened to lucky strike. he is really missed...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V12 would be nice, but way more money than I want to spend on a daily driver. The main practical issue with Astons in the US compared to Porsche is the number good mechanics, with the number hovering around zero for Aston-Martin. - B
If you were big time, you would have the mechanics come over from England a la Deboise. You sir, are small time.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Damn, I would really like to own a suit like that-- does Rubinacci ever do the USA-visit thing (now that I live in one of the civilized parts of the world again)? I'm guessing the price would be about the same as a brioni RTW, although it would take a year to complete.

It's great that there's a style that appeals so strongly to you, and I hope that you get the chance to try it out yourself.

Rubinacci do visit the US, particularly NYC. They don't do a formal "tour" like the SR houses and the HK makers...I think it more like if you express interest, they'll let you know when someone from Rubinacci is traveling to the States to take orders.

The last that I read, a suit would be $5600-$6000-ish. There's some asymmetry to the pricing in Naples, London, and elsewhere.

I suppose if you wanted to try it, given the price, I would try to convince you to travel all the way to the mother ship on the first two or three items.

Check out details in the Rubinacci thread, and that's also a good place to post questions.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
If you were big time, you would have the mechanics come over from England a la Deboise. You sir, are small time.

If I were big time, I would have a country house with stables in some nice horse country in the south of England and keep the Aston there.

Also, Edwin would visit me more often.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were big time, I would have a country house with stables in some nice horse country in the south of England and keep the Aston there. Also, Edwin would visit me more often. - B
I sense that you are an Anglophile Mr. V.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's great that there's a style that appeals so strongly to you, and I hope that you get the chance to try it out yourself.

Rubinacci do visit the US, particularly NYC. They don't do a formal "tour" like the SR houses and the HK makers...I think it more like if you express interest, they'll let you know when someone from Rubinacci is traveling to the States to take orders.

The last that I read, a suit would be $5600-$6000-ish. There's some asymmetry to the pricing in Naples, London, and elsewhere.

I suppose if you wanted to try it, given the price, I would try to convince you to travel all the way to the mother ship on the first two or three items.

- B

Actually I would go a little further than that Bill. If your going to shell out that kinda dough at a minimum you need at least one fitting in Naples. If I had to do my experience over I would have done so to start and not wait until my second order. In addition, I would urge you to deal with Mariano directly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Actually I would go a little further than that Bill. If your going to shell out that kinda dough at a minimum you need at least one fitting in Naples. If I had to do my experience over I would have done so to start and not wait until my second order. In addition, I would urge you to deal with Mariano directly.

That's obviously the way to do it ideally, and anything short is bound to be a false economy and missed opportunity for the pleasures of interesting travel.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I sense that you are an Anglophile Mr. V.

I love all good things...and several bad things as well.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads