• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I walked out with a few single women on my waistband.
teacha.gif

rimshot.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Yesterday's visit to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art and then on to Helsingør.
Have fun!

I really enjoyed Helsingor in spring, and IIRC the main square has a bit of construction going on right now, but don't forget to pay a visit to Kronborg castle.

You can pass Helsingborg (Helsingor's Swedish sister city), btw. That's where my Better Half originally hails from, though there is an interesting menswear store in the middle of the city.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
P2076812.jpg
P2076797.jpg

MM, I admire your stylist for the photos [you?]. You always have the perfect relation between your shirt and jacket sleeves in your photos.

- M

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
otzrqh.jpg

The shoulders seem to be a tad wide with the aggressive drop, or am I wrong?

I think the drop is exaggerated because you stick your hand in the pocket, so can't really make out, but on the first look I like it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Showing socks !? When will people learn to think of the children ?
confused.gif

Even with braces, your trousers seem too short to my eyes. But what I do I know, I wear very boring double pleated RTW pants, uncuffed, with belts, with a good amount of break. Beware that this maybe worn with the big collared shrits and clunky shell PTBs with double soles. Does this make me a TastelessHeathenâ„¢?

This old G. Bruce Boyer quotation from Eminently Suitable summarizes what I like best:

"The English writer Arnold Bennett used to say that his tailor advised him tha trousers should 'shiver' on the shoe but not break."

Exactly.

- B

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
otzrqh.jpg

The shoulders seem to be a tad wide with the aggressive drop, or am I wrong?

If anything I thought the shoulders on that coat is too narrow.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Sunday Stroll - trying to bring a bit of colour to a dull old day:

20100207.jpg

Cord SC: Hackett
Gingham shirt: M&S
Jeans: Levi 501s
Shoes: Barker Nairn

Felt a PS was too much.

Great sportcoat!

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
DSC00058.jpg

digging this TR!! the tie and jeans look is not very loved on SF, but you rocked it ... very stylish!!

Interesting observation ... and i noted you made a similar observation on Parker's fit the other day. Just for my edification - do you believe shoulders should be wide enough so that the arms drop straight down without a curvature around the arm? I find that if you go with wider shoulders, there is the risk for divots, since on most people, the point of the natural shoulder is a few cm away from the edge of the arm at the bicep. i think the wide shoulder works for skinny people since their biceps are narrow and the arms drops down perfectly, but for bigger folks, with bigger arms, its almost like a choice of two evils - either have natural shoulders with a smooth drop on the arm, or wide shoulders and the "possibility" of divots because of the hole created between the natural shoulder and the suit shoulder ...

i'm probably not using the right terminology, but i'd like to know. thx.

Bored

your bowtie is dripping with swag ...lol.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
should 'shiver' on the shoe but not break."
- B

Shiver, although looking good in static poses, IMO can sometimes come off trying too hard and look-at-my-shoes showy.

How about drape but not droop?

- M

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the way his legs are crossed may be misconstruing his proportions for me. Maybe if the stance of his legs was 'normal' the proportions may be more suiting.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Shiver, although looking good in static poses, IMO can sometimes come off trying too hard and look-at-my-shoes showy.

How about drape but not droop?

- M

Well, for me it has nothing to do with thinking about what "looks good." When I was growing up, breaking pants meant (1) someone forgot their belt or suspenders and their pants were pooling at their feet or (2) they were from alien lands.

If anything, the old dudes in their Brooks or Chipp wore their hems sky high..almost but not quite at Tom Browne levels. Not even a bit of shiver.

- B

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
Interesting observation ... and i noted you made a similar observation on Parker's fit the other day. Just for my edification - do you believe shoulders should be wide enough so that the arms drop straight down without a curvature around the arm? I find that if you go with wider shoulders, there is the risk for divots, since on most people, the point of the natural shoulder is a few cm away from the edge of the arm at the bicep. i think the wide shoulder works for skinny people since their biceps are narrow and the arms drops down perfectly, but for bigger folks, with bigger arms, its almost like a choice of two evils - either have natural shoulders with a smooth drop on the arm, or wide shoulders and the "possibility" of divots because of the hole created between the natural shoulder and the suit shoulder ...

i'm probably not using the right terminology, but i'd like to know. thx.

I'm not a very good iTailor but I think it's defnitely possible to have wide shoulders that extend beyond the natural shoulder joints without the "divots". It all has to do with how the shoulder is constructed. Two soft shoulder example:

P9221229.jpg
PB303783.jpg

Both suits have shoulders are that around 19'', exceeding my natural shoulder joints significantly, yet both show no "divots".

Another example with a more constructed shoulder:

P1276507.jpg

Again, the shoulders are extended, are artificially shaped (although still considered a soft shoulder), but no "divots".

Finally, for comparison, here is a jacket where the shoulders are narrow and the sleeve caps are hugging the deltoids:

P9221213.jpg

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
This old G. Bruce Boyer quotation from Eminently Suitable summarizes what I like best:

"The English writer Arnold Bennett used to say that his tailor advised him tha trousers should 'shiver' on the shoe but not break."

Exactly.

I just can't digest the idea of showing sock when I am standing still, whether the trousers shiver, tremble or outright bow in shame. I am no fan of the puddling pants look, but I strongly prefer pants with a bit of break. Don't know why
confused.gif
I suspect that researching this will also uncover the reasons to my dislike of 2" cuffs and monk shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads