• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Innersound called Sanders now?
confused.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like it. We've reviewed quite a few of their products. They make the Kaya Loudspeaker, the only electrostatic hybrid I've heard that I like. Really good speaker.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Looks like it. We've reviewed quite a few of their products. They make the Kaya Loudspeaker, the only electrostatic hybrid I've heard that I like. Really good speaker.

I just remember hearing the Eros at one of those shows in the NYC Hilton and really liking it. Was awhile back though.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a pair of the new Monitor Audio RX6 in walnut yesterday. These will be used as fronts and split evenly between music and video use. I haven't decided on a new AV receiver yet, but am leaning towards either the NAD T747 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 640R. This will replace a old Luxman R115 stereo receiver that I have had for a long time that might be relegated to our den/2d bedroom. Building off of this base I'll probably add full surround but am hesitant to do so as there is no good spot to put the rears in the living room. Also will probably swap out my older DVD player for the OPPO 83.

Any recs on AVR receivers at the 1000 mark that can power the MAs that I should think about?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Just bought a pair of the new Monitor Audio RX6 in walnut yesterday. These will be used as fronts and split evenly between music and video use. I haven't decided on a new AV receiver yet, but am leaning towards either the NAD T747 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 640R. This will replace a old Luxman R115 stereo receiver that I have had for a long time that might be relegated to our den/2d bedroom. Building off of this base I'll probably add full surround but am hesitant to do so as there is no good spot to put the rears in the living room. Also will probably swap out my older DVD player for the OPPO 83.

Any recs on AVR receivers at the 1000 mark that can power the MAs that I should think about?

I would lean toward the Cambridge. I like NAD also but I prefer the new Cambridge gear. Also look at the Peachtree Audio integrateds.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on new speakers. Maybe look at the Pioneer Elite SC-05, which is their least expensive model that uses ICEpower amp. I don't have any personal experience with it though.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I would lean toward the Cambridge. I like NAD also but I prefer the new Cambridge gear. Also look at the Peachtree Audio integrateds.

Originally Posted by Dmax
Congrats on new speakers.

Maybe look at the Pioneer Elite SC-05, which is their least expensive model that uses ICEpower amp. I don't have any personal experience with it though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dmax - The Pioneer Elite units have been on my radar if I go in the Onkyo, Denon, Marantz type direction. It seems the Pioneer are well regarded and would be at the top of my list

AF - I took a look at the Nova. It looks pretty interesting, but it appears is only 2 channel. I am looking for an AVR that will handle DVD, Wii, hD cable, and all of that junk. If I had my druthers I would just keep the old Luxman I have and just listen to music.

I think the Cambridge Audio 640R might be the way to go over the NAV. The one thing that scares me with NAD is the dichotomy between stereo and AVR track record. There seems to be many more problems with the surround receivers whereas the stereo are bullet-proof.

Yngling

Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. AF - I took a look at the Nova. It looks pretty interesting, but it appears is only 2 channel. I am looking for an AVR that will handle DVD, Wii, hD cable, and all of that junk. If I had my druthers I would just keep the old Luxman I have and just listen to music.
You may just need a low priced receiver then but it's a shame as you can get better sound if you can manage two channel. In my experience, good two channel trumps mediocre 5.1. However, if you watch a lot of movies that may be a tradeoff you are willing to make. 5.1 receiver = medium sound quality at $1K imho. 2 channel integrated = great sound quality at $1K imho.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may just need a low priced receiver then but it's a shame as you can get better sound if you can manage two channel.

In my experience, good two channel trumps mediocre 5.1. However, if you watch a lot of movies that may be a tradeoff you are willing to make.

5.1 receiver = medium sound quality at $1K imho.
2 channel integrated = great sound quality at $1K imho.

I know what you mean. Maybe I will look more into the Peachtree Nova and/or the Emotiva setup of UMC 1 and UPA 5. This is confusing and fun at the same time but I have been wasting too much time at work researching this.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Maybe I will look more into the Peachtree Nova and/or the Emotiva setup of UMC 1 and UPA 5. This is confusing and fun at the same time but I have been wasting too much time at work researching this.

I will try to come up with some new ideas for you later as well.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may just need a low priced receiver then but it's a shame as you can get better sound if you can manage two channel.

In my experience, good two channel trumps mediocre 5.1. However, if you watch a lot of movies that may be a tradeoff you are willing to make.

What about using an AVR for switching only through pre-outs to power amps for speakers?

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by eg1
What about using an AVR for switching only through pre-outs to power amps for speakers?

Part of the problem is my stereo receiver is on its last legs right now, so I need something to replace that. If I buy a new AV receiver today I think you are looking at buying at the minimum a $500 receiver for one with a pre out. It might be easier to go the separates route right than do this. If I had something that was functioning with a pre-out I would definitely look at picking up an amp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads