• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

This thread comes back every few years like the films in a horror movie franchise.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

This thread comes back every few years like the films in a horror movie franchise.

The best comeback in this thread was from March 7, 2002 to August 1, 2007
wow.gif
wow.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
The best comeback in this thread was from March 7, 2002 to August 1, 2007
wow.gif
wow.gif

Actually I'm pretty sure we lost some posts from that timeframe back in the great Style Forum server crash of 2006.

I know I had responded back in '02 about the boots I own. This was one of the first threads in which I participated.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Actually I'm pretty sure we lost some posts from that timeframe back in the great Style Forum server crash of 2006.

I know I had responded back in '02 about the boots I own. This was one of the first threads in which I participated.

Like driving through the old neighborhood..
laugh.gif

westerndesign

Reaction score
I really like to wear cowboy boots. I wear them proudly with a wide range of outfits.
Remember that you don't have to look like a cowgirl to wear cowboy boots. These can be a great addition to modern, conservative and trendy pieces.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Well, this thread needs a bump......we Cowboy Boot wearers must endure the slings and arrows till others follow our lead.

Recent non-e*b*y find, vintage Tony Lama Black Label Sea Turtle in cognac. Has 6 line stitch, two in cognac.

Complete disinfection, then new soles and heel caps, condition and then a touch of polish.

(the sole edge is a brown to match the shaft, not black.)

dsmolken

Reaction score
Very nice!

I've got another pair on the way, this one in sueded ostrich leg.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Have one pair of Lucchese Classic ropers. Great with jeans.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swan Song
Well, this thread needs a bump......we Cowboy Boot wearers must endure the slings and arrows till others follow our lead.

Recent non-e*b*y find, vintage Tony Lama Black Label Sea Turtle in cognac. Has 6 line stitch, two in cognac.

Complete disinfection, then new soles and heel caps, condition and then a touch of polish.

(the sole edge is a brown to match the shaft, not black.)

Your sea turtle Tony Lama boots look similar to these Tony Lama alligator boots. Just curious, how do you know for sure what skin you have?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I'm at the ranch I'll wear 'em ... anyplace else ... I won't.

However, I was once photographed by a very demanding photographer who insisted I wear them for the integrity of the shot ... even though the shot was to be waist up. What a waste.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Your sea turtle Tony Lama boots look similar to these Tony Lama alligator boots. Just curious, how do you know for sure what skin you have?

those big square scales on your picture(the vamp part) tell me they are alligator.

on Sea Turtle....medium-roundish scales tapering rapidly to those small and smaller scales on each side of vamp= Sea Turtle. They only can use(well, not now, but back before the ban) the front belly(medium round scales) and the scales leading to the flippers(small and smaller scales).

Now if you have a really vintage Alligator skin, on a high-end boot, then they used the REALLY BIG skins that can only come from NON-farm-raised alligator. see this picture, also mine, from Lucchese back 25-30 years when they were made in San Antonio.

nowdays they have to use two farm-raised skins to match the vamps, and the scaling is very uniform and smallish because ya gotta live long and prosper in the wild to get big enough to produce the big roundish scales.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Sea Turtle picture.....I do not know if this was the species of Turtle they used to make boots.

Swan Song

Reaction score
here are the sides of mine, still Sea Turtle.....Love the color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads