• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best untanned belts

alexwgoody

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting an untanned leather belt, and it seems like in the $100 and less range, it's Tanner, Corter, or ALD. Which is the best quality leather? The ALD one is the most expensive, but is that only due to the brand being well known? Have any other suggestions?

JoyDiffusion

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one from Hollows Leather... found him on here, and his stuff looks really nice. Some stock pieces, some custom I think. Maybe someone who's gotten one of his untanned can chime in...

rapdancin

Reaction score
unlucky

i just got one from him, its fantastic (and was also inexpensive--$55)

iwhelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexwgoody
I'm looking into getting an untanned leather belt, and it seems like in the $100 and less range, it's Tanner, Corter, or ALD. Which is the best quality leather? The ALD one is the most expensive, but is that only due to the brand being well known? Have any other suggestions?

I don't know which is best, but I have a Corter belt (not the super-thick one) and it has been great for the last year or more. I like it a lot.

-Ian

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexwgoody
I have a Leather Goods Connection bridle leather belt in "natural" undyed leather. The leather is thick and supple...
DSCN1970.jpg

FYI, I guess you mean to say "undyed or natural" instead of "untanned". All leather is tanned. Tanning is the process in which the animal hide is "cured" to prevent rotting. Whether or not it is dyed or stained is another matter.

Barrylicious

Reaction score
I was just about to post about LGC belts. Really, really like them.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do peeps find that raw denim tends to bleed onto the belts?

NeurotRP

Reaction score
I have a corter leather belt, I highly recommend it.

socialdtk

Reaction score
Unlucky makes an amazing belt at an unbeatable price. I own two unlucky belts and bought several others as Christmas gifts for family and friends. You can find more infomation on Unlucky and his belts here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=horsehide

amongmany

Reaction score
I'll throw in a vote for Tanner. I bought one of their tan belts about 18 months ago. It has aged so wonderfully that I recently picked up two more in different colors. Be prepared to wait for your order for a little while as they make them per order, but their quality is excellent.

Chip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Do peeps find that raw denim tends to bleed onto the belts?

Yeah son, they gets blue stains on they belts.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my Tanner belt well over 2 years ago and I've worn it almost every day since then. It's nice, but I might get one of those LGC belts to have something a little nicer looking for work.

I've bought leather goods from Tanner, Corter, and Hollows, and all are really good leathercrafters. You'll wind up with a nice piece no matter which direction you end up going.

brimley

Reaction score
I see that this is an old thread, but I'll comment on my Tanner. Have had it well over a year, leather is awesome, nice thickness and width without being ridiculous in either department. The aging of the leather is fantastic, makes me happy every time I handle it.

However, the hardware is unimpressive in heft, shape, and finish. It's just a little too...ordinary, compared to the character of the rest of the belt.

I got mine pretty cheap on B&S (~$45?) and I'm definitely not disappointed. However, if I buy another untanned belt I will probably go with ALD, maybe unlucky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads