• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff your dad or trusted older male taught you

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicad2000
They lied
laugh.gif

It isn't that they lied, it is that the world is dramatically different for my generation than their generation.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How to whittle with a pocket knife.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never resort to usury, if you cannot fund a project with the funds on hand, the project should not be undertaken.

moralitly and empathy are only needed for appearances.

and how to take a beating.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pittsburgh sucks Browns rule
confused.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there are 3 groups of things that my dad tought me:

1. sorry to say this, but for the most part, when I think of a decision that I have to make, I usually (used to do this all the time and now only do it rarely) think "what would my dad do?" and do the opposite. ********* up a lot of his life, and I have used him as an example of what not to do

2. he did teach me, through stories and the basic culture of the family, that work is important, that being an adult and being a man is largly about working and making a living for your family, and being in a position to be economically independent

3. the one thing that I can remember him teaching me, in terms of a specific lesson was "if you are going to hit somebody, make sure that you either have something hard in your hand or that he will land on something hard". it always struck me as good advice

I spend a lot of time with my son (and will with my daughters as they age) teaching him life lessons. I have told my son (starting when he was 6) that my job is to teach him to be a good man - to be able to make a good living, have a good family life and be a good citizen.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
never resort to usury, if you cannot fund a project with the funds on hand, the project should not be undertaken.

moralitly and empathy are only needed for appearances.

and how to take a beating.

Explains a lot.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How to set-up a linear, V-shaped and L-shaped ambush. Yes, I had an odd childhood.
blush.gif
I'm trying to think of something else, but I think the other lessons I took from my dad were just by his (good) example.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taught me how to fly fish.

That's about it.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad tought me a mixed bag of things;

1. If you've worked for less than 10 hours in a day, then you've wasted it. There is always more jobs that need doing or more money to be made.

2. Never spend more than £60 on a suit. The man makes the suit, and a truly powerful, inspirational man could run his empire naked and still demand respect.

Not sure how far number 2 is correct, but suffice to say I just assume he missed a 0 off of his calculations!

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The importance of minimalism, how to stand up to authority, how to think for myself.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
My father taught me

the value of good work ethic
integrity
the truth is always the best answer
how to throw,catch, and hit a baseball
all police radar has a small rate of error, so if necessary you can drive 3-7 miles above the posted limit

My Mothers father taught me

-how to pick wild blackberries without getting cut by the thorns
-how to pour beer/ a coke into a glass
-how to flirt with girls in an appropriate way (it sounds odd, it wasn't like we sat down and had a conversation about it, but the man is a shameless flirt grocery cashiers,bank tellers,..., he just has a smile and laugh for everyone, especially good looking girls)

My fathers father taught me

- never to drink scotch, it is to be sipped
- how to hit a golf ball (but I still don't do it right)
- a gentleman dresses for the occasion
- to respect any establishment (business,home,church) by removing your coat and hat at the door.
- the financial suicide involved with bad habits (especially smoking)
- how to win at cribbage
- how to play snooker

But I've had the pleasant fortune of being surrounded by so many intelligent men, from bosses, to elders at church, and teachers, etc.

and there are all sorts of lessons friends and acquaintances teach you sometimes without your knowledge until years and years down the road.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad taught me that everyone takes the owner of a company to lunch-take care of the person who actually does the work and they will take care of you. He would bring jars of home raised honey to secretaries, give a bottle of liquor to delivery guys, etc. Whenever he needed a favor they were happy to help.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Confucius taught me:
- Never believe everything you read on the interwebz
- Michelin stars are over-rated
- Never wear black suit except for funerals
- Never pay retail

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not all Appreciation sites are created equal.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
How to set-up a linear, V-shaped and L-shaped ambush. Yes, I had an odd childhood.
blush.gif

I'm trying to think of something else, but I think the other lessons I took from my dad were just by his (good) example.

with claymores?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads