• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

jakejake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
You are very welcome roma. Sorry for the late response. The Ushers really do sound nice. I know the importer Atul (another McKinsey guy but don't hold that against him.
smile.gif
) and I have heard them on many occasions.

We use the Usher Be-718 monitors to master our classical recordings. Revealing and musical.

AF - Have you listened or compared the Von Schweikert VR-1 to the Usher?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
I like the VR-1s. Albert's an interesting guy. Here's an old tour of the factory. 12 years ago. The Iron Age in WWW years.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Yes, I prefer the Usher but I really like the new Von Schweikerts. I've talked to the designer several times and he is a really nice guy. I'd say he is doing some of his best work lately. The Unifield 3 is really good.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Triangle Heliades and they remind me of impolite step brothers of De Vore Gibbons. But for the price of 699.00 I can live with them for a while.
They are very efficient and could be played quiet without loosing the detail. Great imaging, great detail of sound but not so great bass(dry and chocked).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
I bought a pair of Triangle Heliades and they remind me of impolite step brothers of De Vore Gibbons. But for the price of 699.00 I can live with them for a while.
They are very efficient and could be played quiet without loosing the detail. Great imaging, great detail of sound but not so great bass(dry and chocked).

I like the Triangle speaker line. Some of the higher end ones are really terrific.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Triangle speaker line. Some of the higher end ones are really terrific.
For sure, but the cheaper models I find way too soft edged and monochrome, at least the ones I heard a couple of years ago.

deaddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
The best finishes in the biz. By far. $$$$$

I know they don't get a lot of love from audiophiles but I just picked up a pair of Paradigm Signature S2. Sound is very, very good and look fantastic in birdseye maple. Maybe not quite as furniture-like as SF but damn close, with a slightly curved cabinet and excellent wood finishing. I didn't listen to the bigger models but I did see them and they are equally good-looking. And, at least for the S2, they are blowing out the v.2 for about 1/2 price.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of companies have good refinishers, incl ProAc, Focal, etc....the trick is consistency. That's where SF wins. They have been using the same artisans for many years.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deaddog
I know they don't get a lot of love from audiophiles but I just picked up a pair of Paradigm Signature S2. Sound is very, very good and look fantastic in birdseye maple. Maybe not quite as furniture-like as SF but damn close, with a slightly curved cabinet and excellent wood finishing. I didn't listen to the bigger models but I did see them and they are equally good-looking. And, at least for the S2, they are blowing out the v.2 for about 1/2 price.

A friend of mine has these and they sound terrific. Ditto on the S4s. Paradigm is a good company.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
For sure, but the cheaper models I find way too soft edged and monochrome, at least the ones I heard a couple of years ago.

Could you elaborate a little : What do you mean by soft edged: soft in treble, tube-like?
What does monochrome sound means?
Why audiophiles insist on speaking in some sort of code language?

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the VR-2s are extremely good speakers for the money. They sound better than many speakers 2-3 times the price (and the bass is incredible)

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Could you elaborate a little : What do you mean by soft edged: soft in treble, tube-like?
What does monochrome sound means?
Why audiophiles insist on speaking in some sort of code language?

Like many hobbies from clothing to shoes to home theater, there is a certain established language that helps describe sound quality differences. While obscure on first read this language is often very valuable in coveying differences.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like many hobbies from clothing to shoes to home theater, there is a certain established language that helps describe sound quality differences. While obscure on first read this language is often very valuable in coveying differences.

Thank you for that clarification. Does it mean you speak "audiophile" and could trasnslate for me what he ment?
smile.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Thank you for that clarification. Does it mean you speak "audiophile" and could trasnslate for me what he ment?
smile.gif

Monochrome is not a common code word but I would guess it was a little sterile sounding which means not rich in tone or warm or particularly musical...prolly a poor midrange.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monochrome is not a common code word but I would guess it was a little sterile sounding which means not rich in tone or warm or particularly musical...prolly a poor midrange.

I like to think that he was just listening to some Bruckner.
devil.gif

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads