• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

dls6128

Reaction score
wlfaj4.png

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
What do you dudes think of this for a spring jacket?
11914-1-900.jpg

I saw this on Oi Polloi today. I really dig it, and I particularly like the hem actually. Get that shiz, especially if you ride.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some wool and cashmere knits

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
shore, you just convinced me to wait till next year. I like the charcoal with windowpane. I'd been looking at this jacket since Oi Polloi first put the grey one on their site this F/W, but it'd be a huge investment for me right now.

The only reason I would hesitate is that there's no guarantee anyone will stock that color next fall. Plus, sale price is nice

dmass1

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to buy a pair of APC new standards or not.

I'm currently wearing a pair of Levis 501 STF that I've had for about 7 months now and have not soaked or washed yet (I only wear them about 2-3 times a week). I sized down an inch in the waist and they fit pretty good. However, they are ready for a wash and I anticipate the inseam shrinking to an undesirable length as they are perfect right now, and I don't like the bright indigo color of standard Levis after a wash. They will probably be a beater pair after the wash.

My question is, should I continue to purchase Levis 501 STF every 6 months or so for the look of new raw denim that I like or go with a pair of higher quality APCs that I'll continue to wear once faded and fit a little better in the rise/seat as well?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On final sale right now. Its not that i need them, but I use RWs alot, so I wouldnt mind some more rotation. Not crazy about the sole, but I think I´ll manage (or switch it out for something lighter and lower profile).
82920091019154721911100_L.jpg
82920091019154748584112_L.jpg

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bschram

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
They sure look to be. Gotta love that 'boutique' **** though. No mention at all of whether raw or not, stf or sanforized, type of denim, inseam length, fit dimensions, etc. Dior Homme has it's fans, but I think they're marsupialed expensive fwiw.

I'm now thinking that they aren't selvage. They offer those at a much higher price. I wish I could tell whether or not they're raw. Any thoughts?

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're probably raw looking at the pictures. if you're looking for raw selvedge denim to fade why are you looking at dior?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmass1
I am trying to decide whether to buy a pair of APC new standards or not. I'm currently wearing a pair of Levis 501 STF that I've had for about 7 months now and have not soaked or washed yet (I only wear them about 2-3 times a week). I sized down an inch in the waist and they fit pretty good. However, they are ready for a wash and I anticipate the inseam shrinking to an undesirable length as they are perfect right now, and I don't like the bright indigo color of standard Levis after a wash. They will probably be a beater pair after the wash. My question is, should I continue to purchase Levis 501 STF every 6 months or so for the look of new raw denim that I like or go with a pair of higher quality APCs that I'll continue to wear once faded and fit a little better in the rise/seat as well?
People who buy shrink-to-fit denim and don't soak them are idiots.
Originally Posted by mlyngard
They sure look to be. Gotta love that 'boutique' **** though. No mention at all of whether raw or not, stf or sanforized, type of denim, inseam length, fit dimensions, etc. Dior Homme has it's fans, but I think they're marsupialed expensive fwiw.
No DH denim is unsanforized, inseam is 37-38 on raws and 37-40 on washed, dimensions are easy to find with a search, DH jeans have wax treatments that you won't find on any other pair of jeans... Nostalgy is the MII raw and Brut is the MIJ raw.
Originally Posted by bschram
I'm now thinking that they aren't selvage. They offer those at a much higher price. I wish I could tell whether or not they're raw. Any thoughts?
There are only a few models of selvedge made by DH, Made in Morocco red selvedge and Made in Japan silver selvedge are the ones that come to mind. Most people don't buy DH jeans for a normal raw, selvedge jean. They aren't super well constructed or special, there are far better choices for the money unless you spend on the wax treated or washed jeans. Also, both the blue and black raws are notoriously hard to fade (most especially with blacks)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads