• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer in NYC - what would you do?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd hit the Jersey shore.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Five Guys, every day. Om nom nom nom. Also, go to a club once and watch all the bridge & tunnel guidos in their element.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a place on the beach and commute to work

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can stay in my basement for $1200 a week. hit me up.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
you can stay in my basement for $1200 a week. hit me up.

pulpmarsellubutch.jpg

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
all these people bitching about summer in NYC.

In south texas it's usually near 100 degrees with near 100% humidity almost all summer.

stop bitching
ffffuuuu.gif

There is grass in Texas. NYC is nothing but steel and concrete....the heat absolutely radiates! I've never been to a place that's worse then NY in the summer.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i am the gimp.
lol8[1].gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Day trips to Long Beach, Jones Beach or Fire Island.

I think NYC summer might be worse than Texas. In a hot summer it is absolutely commensurate w/ Texas temps/humidity. Then you have the a/c culture vs. non-a/c. Throw in a couple of daily trips down into the subway (10-15 degrees hotter - more like a humid Baghdad or Riyadh). Then top it off with the seasonal disparity (I don't think Texas gets anywhere near as cold), and NY is the clear winner.

TEPLimey

Reaction score
Where's your office going to be? The last thing you want to do is have a pain ********** commute. You can get from point A-B anywhere in Manhattan for under a $20 cab ride on weekends. Do yourself a favor and make your daily trek easier and then worry about nightlife.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Day trips to Long Beach, Jones Beach or Fire Island. I think NYC summer might be worse than Texas. In a hot summer it is absolutely commensurate w/ Texas temps/humidity. Then you have the a/c culture vs. non-a/c. Throw in a couple of daily trips down into the subway (10-15 degrees hotter - more like a humid Baghdad or Riyadh). Then top it off with the seasonal disparity (I don't think Texas gets anywhere near as cold), and NY is the clear winner.
+1 I have had some of the most disgusting days of my life in that city. You just feel like you want to sit in your shower with cold water spraying you for the entire day. There's this sickening sight and feeling you get in manhattan at around 2pm where every smooth surface glistens with such an intensity that you get an instant headache. The air is like this emulsion of sweat, gasoline, and old spice deoderant. I honestly feel delirious once I step outside in those conditions. There's something about intense weather in an intensely unnatural environment which almost magnifies the severity of the natural element.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hit the reply after seeing the budget. Trust this:

Spend as little as possible on housing, even if it means you have to travel a bit farther on the commute. NYC is always alive and it's fairly easy to get around. Also, get a bike. Something you wouldn't mind laying down.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent the summer in Beijing wearing full suits and neckties on my volition--Beijing summers may be even more egregious than New York given the Oriental element that doesn't prioritize sanitation plus the pollution.

Shanghai summers are even worse, however, given the extreme humidity. It's slightly more redeemable than Beijing in that one doesn't have to walk across vast expanses of obscenely over-scaled avenues in the sweltering heat.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TEPLimey
Where's your office going to be? The last thing you want to do is have a pain ********** commute. You can get from point A-B anywhere in Manhattan for under a $20 cab ride on weekends. Do yourself a favor and make your daily trek easier and then worry about nightlife.

Agreed. Minimize your commute. You can't minimize your weekend trek, cause you could be going anywhere.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
Agreed. Minimize your commute. You can't minimize your weekend trek, cause you could be going anywhere.

Yea - better to live in a depressing midtown neighborhood with nothing going on but bums and trash bags than to add 5 or 10 min a day to your commute to live in a neighborhood that doesn't make you want to shoot yourself when you're done with work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads