• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"stylish" Headphones?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i loved the styling comfort, and even sound quality of my AKGs (240s & 401s)

alas, in-ear phones are superior in every way

k5014055cbc23760d-c2d38dfbc0c2b57690964bdf37420705.jpg

zillka

Reaction score
people who use anything outside of earbuds on the street are utter assclowns...

if you're a dj and use this for your set at guest house on west 27th to bring home an 8(night)/6(day) from short hills, nj then it would suffice

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zillka
people who use anything outside of earbuds on the street are utter assclowns...
Why's that? Earbuds are uncomfortable, bad for your hearing, and you can get better sound for your money with headphones. I guess maybe if looks are all you care about, I don't know.

zillka

Reaction score

EMY

Reaction score
Grado/Alessandro's

I have the Alessandro Music Series One and they sound great, but offer absolutely no isolation since they are open air.

mccvi

Reaction score
RS-1's with the RA-1 headphone amp. A low budget (relatively) and humbly warm analog pairing. Highly recommended.

axe

Reaction score
Good Lord people, stop recommending open phones for the guy. He's looking for office phones, I doubt he wants to share his music with the whole damn floor.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
Good Lord people, stop recommending open phones for the guy. He's looking for office phones, I doubt he wants to share his music with the whole damn floor.
+1 from http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...guide-271258/:
Under $70 Closed Headphone 1-Sennheiser HD201 ($22) 1-AKG k81dj ($54) Bassy dj headphone. Better with some damping. Good for rap and Hip-Hop $70 to $150 Closed Headphone 1-Sony Mdr-v6 ($71) A very neutral headphone. Good mids, highs. No bass bloat IMO. 1-Sennheiser HD280 ($80) Extreme isolation in a closed Headphone. Slightly anemic bass. 1-Audio Technica a500/700 ($98 and $140) Very balanced overall sound. Good for rock and metal. Speedy, controlled bass. Cheap pleather pads. 1-Equation rp21/rp22x ($85-$90) Plenty of awesome bass. Slightly recessed mids, good highs 1-Audio Technica ES7 ($110) 2-Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO ($150) Bass monsters! Also a good gaming/movie watching 'phone. 1-Denon d1000 ($130) $150 to ~$200 Closed Headphone 2-Sennheiser HD25-II ($175) 1-Audio Technica a900 ($200) Massive soundstage, strong bass, and comfort are its strong points. Great for movies and jazz. Slight weakness in the low-midrange. Crappy pleather Pads. 2-Beyerdynamic Dt250 ($200) 2-AKG 271s ($185) $200 to $300 Closed Headphone 2-Denon D2000 ($260) 2-Ultrasone PROLine 750 ($263) ?-Audio Technica ESW9 ($280) $300 to $500 Closed Headphone 3-Audio Technica w1000 ($399) 3-Denon D5000 ($559) Closed Headphone 3-Audio Technica w5000 ($699) Woody headphone which is known for troublesome fit and being picky about amplification. If used successfully - very worth the trouble. 3-JVC/Victor DX1000 ($889) 2-Ultrasone Edition 9 ($1,499)
I personally think stylishness should be the last consideration for something like headphones. If anything, when I see headphones that are stylish but of poor sound quality, I think they are unstylish.

mccvi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe

Didn't see that part. Very true. MMC.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Why's that? Earbuds are uncomfortable, - foam earphones > pressure applied from headphones
bad for your hearing, - uh... what?
and you can get better sound for your money with headphones. - not at all

disagreed on all 3 points

amnesiac

Reaction score
i'm partial to the sony v6 and the akg 240's, both are often stated as being 'standards' for in studio headphone monitoring. Especially with the 240s (which i think look great in a bulky way), they were used on so many recordings that i like the romantic notion (that has some merit) that older recordings especially sound good through them since the original sound engineers would have at some point listened to them through the same phones with the same sound signature. That being said, both are bulletproof and closed and under $120. My brother has the k81 djs and i pulled off the foam covering over the driver and that opened up the highs that were attenuated by the thick foam. Also, i switched the really thick earpads (which coupled with the clamping force of the band hurt my ears after a while) with some less padded ones and it helped de-boom them. the dt 770 are really not that great. The bass is deep but the impact wasn't so great. I prefer a slightly boomier bass (not like skullcandy or dre beats level) because deep bass really needs the impact that you can only get from subwoofers. also, they're huge and also clamp pretty hard on your head. I really like the sennheiser hd25. these are actually the same headphones that you see every sports broadcaster using. they're really durable and sound great (or as great as closed headphones can sound) and they isolate incredibly well, which is why they're used at loud stadiums. I like grado. i've got sr80s that i've modded with black grills and will soon mod to single cord with a 1/8" jack on the left cup, but they bleed way too much and they're obnoxious for walking around with, although i have done it. My everyday headphones however are the koss portapros. I think they're cool, in a very retro, 80s walkman kind of way. they don't leak too much, i've used them at the library and as long as you don't turn it up too much and the ac/heater is going you're fine. I even use them on airplanes though you have to really turn up the volume to do that. They have great bass, not too much treble (not as much as the famous ksc75 clip ons which have the same driver except with a titanium coating), and they stick on my head without hurting my ears even after hours. I walk around with them, exercise with them and sit at my computer with them when i'm not using my speakers. also, all koss headphones have a lifetime warranty. you just send the headphones in with a $6 check and get a repaired or new pair back. i've done this twice because i suck and pull out the cables every year or two after getting them caught on something like a desk or a door handle etc. you might also want to check out the sennheiser px100s which are also semi-open and sound great, though i really can't stand the 5-spoke car wheel design. I would browse head-fi but stay away from the cable and burn in stuff. head-fi is a tremendous resource but it's so overrun with sound-science bs these days. Finally http://www.acgears.com/index.php?cPath=23 they have a lot of pretty cool headphones and the audio technica selection is particularly nice as far as sound quality and aesthetics go. I take that back, their selection has shrunk. the at sq5 have always looked so sweet though. especially in that red. also,
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
disagreed on all 3 points
+1 and they sound and feel weird.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads