• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is swagger? discuss

PaulSLH

Reaction score
"...and now the dudes are lining up because they hear we got swagger, but we kick 'em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger..."

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Well being cool and slender is key. Slender allows the clothes to hang on you naturally and even look good in things that fit a little bit off (if it's too tight it'll just look skinny if a little loose it'll just look oversized). When you're slightly overweight or average (which in actuality is slightly overweight just our standards are so low in the US) it's very easy to unflatter yourself. Being cool/comfortable just allows people to like you when hanging out in real life or give off a vibe that you'd be fun. Some posters that post here don't necessarily look like a good time.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
When you're slightly overweight or average (which in actuality is slightly overweight just our standards are so low in the US) it's very easy to unflatter yourself.
Skinny fat/slightly over weight looks so god damn awkward. I think straight up fat, like Biggie or Don Corleone, has more swagger in it than when you look like ET with your shirt off.

everybodynobody

Reaction score
Being cool/comfortable just allows people to like you when hanging out in real life or give off a vibe that you'd be fun. Some posters that post here don't necessarily look like a good time.
I guess I just don't get "swagger." People who are concerned with having "swagger" don't seem like they'd be fun to hang out with at all. If I saw these guys pictured below in real life, I'd feel the urge to punch them rather than want to hang out with them. They need to lighten up and lose the 'tude.
Originally Posted by indesertum
43023352601bc668eda5o.jpg
fuuma.jpg
tumblrkuawyjuffc1qzarie.jpg
north.jpg

Some of the stuff this forum comes up with just makes me go WTF?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
really, the top guy, baguette from what i've seen on sufu looks like he's a cool guy. Fuuma seems to be fun and quite the drinker as well. Hap has always seemed kinda pretentious and lame but that yannick guy from sufu is really man-pretty so there'd always be ladies where he goes.

everybodynobody

Reaction score
really, the top guy, baguette from what i've seen on sufu looks like he's a cool guy. Fuuma seems to be fun and quite the drinker as well. Hap has always seemed kinda pretentious and lame but that yannick guy from sufu is really man-pretty so there'd always be ladies where he goes.
Maybe they're actually fun guys to be around in real life, but from the pictures they look pretentious, vain and unapproachable. I don't get a fun or friendly vibe from them.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by everybodynobody
I guess I just don't get "swagger." People who are concerned with having "swagger" don't seem like they'd be fun to hang out with at all.

If I saw these guys pictured below in real life, I'd feel the urge to punch them rather than want to hang out with them. They need to lighten up and lose the 'tude.

Who says we'd want to hang out with you anyway? We're cool remember? Cool people don't mingle with the plebes.

More seriously you have to consider the crowds people run with, I'm sure accountants from Oregon would think I dress like a poof and want to punch me if they dared break the law but in large urban areas, hanging out with the arts/hangers on/fashion/nightlife people my wardrobe is fine and dandy without making me a clone of everyone else. Same is true for Baguette and I'm guessing the other people displayed. There is very few things more naive than thinking the doxa that applies to you can be extended to everyone else.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I just don't get "swagger." People who are concerned with having "swagger" don't seem like they'd be fun to hang out with at all.

If I saw these guys pictured below in real life, I'd feel the urge to punch them rather than want to hang out with them. They need to lighten up and lose the 'tude.

Agreed, that's why I said OP clearly confuses 'Emo' with swagger.

The ultimate irony, IMO, is that you'll never have swagger if you consciously aspire to have it. That's why it's so elusive.

I think this thread is more about identifying that swagger quality in others, not how to wear it ourselves.

More music swagger:

claxtonbaker.jpg

060918_cal_coltranes.jpg

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Agreed, that's why I said OP clearly confuses 'Emo' with swagger. The ultimate irony, IMO, is that you'll never have swagger if you consciously aspire to have it. That's why it's so elusive. I think this thread is more about identifying that swagger quality in others, not how to wear it ourselves. More music swagger:
This is the kind of mythologizing and aura effect (extending looking cool to mean the person possesses a bunch of other qualities) that is ridiculously debunked by taking a quick look at people like The great white Duke, an entertainer as self-conscious and calculated as can be.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Pictures above lead me to another thought:

Swagger that appeals to other men doesn't always appeal to women, and vice-versa.

Are "men" and "women" two monolithic blocs?

everybodynobody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Who says we'd want to hang out with you anyway? We're cool remember? Cool people don't mingle with the plebes.

More seriously you have to consider the crowds people run with, I'm sure accountants from Oregon would think I dress like a poof and want to punch me if they dared break the law but in large urban areas, hanging out with the arts/hangers on/fashion/nightlife people my wardrobe is fine and dandy without making me a clone of everyone else. Same is true for Baguette and I'm guessing the other people displayed. There is very few things more naive than thinking the doxa that applies to you can be extended to everyone else.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
video removed
But you do understand what I am trying to convey, right? Otherwise we're just talking past each other. I'm not trying to quantify coolness right now, just sayin' different circles have different codes and ways to convey meaning through clothes, attitude, language etc. Something that should be self-evident to anyone over the age of 10 but is often forgotten in the mist of debating. In the end, even if you want to punch me in the face/don't like me, might it be that, with no hatred or malice directed towards you, I am not trying to connect with you anyway? ps: the first paragraph you quoted was a joke, I wouldn't talk to you because my mom doesn't want me to talk to strangers.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
But you do understand what I am trying to convey, right? Otherwise we're just talking past each other. I'm not trying to quantify coolness right now, just sayin' different circles have different codes and ways to convey meaning through clothes, attitude, language etc. Something that should be self-evident to anyone over the age of 10 but is often forgotten in the mist of debating. In the end, even if you want to punch me in the face/don't like me, might it be that, with no hatred or malice directed towards you, I am not trying to connect with you anyway?

ps: the first paragraph you quoted was a joke, I wouldn't talk to you because my mom doesn't want me to talk to strangers.

Oh, I agree - swagger, like 'cool' is totally contextual and cultural, even regional. What's swagger to a straight male Texan isn't cool to a bisexual Manhattan woman. Sexual lines are as hard to define as the regional dialect of 'cool'.

But there are undefinable elements of swagger that are timeless and cross-cultural, like Bruce Lee. Or Coltrane above.

Funny too how the West seems to worship this vague Eastern Yakuza/samurai mystique and the East seems to idolize some Western Americana ideal, even if both are stereotypes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads