• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's a man's tote if a man carries it.

however I do think that the smaller the bag is, the less appealing it looks on a man

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Exactly. Handle length or whatever makes no difference... a briefcase has VERY short handles and a relatively small size, for example, but we don't consider it a woman's bag.

As others mentioned, it is mostly about perception and what we pass on as a culture about clothing "rules." Beyond that, size, styling, color, materials, etc. also play some part. Nevertheless, in Japan (for example) where there are a lot fewer "rules" and proscriptions and "pink is for girls, blue is for boys," a lot of really creative young people gender-bend the bags and really make them work.

It mostly comes down to personal styles, preferences, and knowing what you like best and what works best for your body size.

As well, like perfumes, mostly bags are targeted at specific genders for marketing and advertising. This is true of some brands of clothes, too. For example, Gaultier for years has had almost completely unisex collections that have "Gaultier Homme" or "Gaultier Femme" tags stitched onto the back IN THE STORE, not in the factor.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Par example, I would not advise this:

bryanboy_plaid5.jpg

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Well that is one **** looking fella carrying a sassy bag!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^^^that's not a chick?

ah nm, another ULH

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Par example, I would not advise this:

bryanboy_plaid5.jpg

That **** is tough. As a "one of the girls" concept.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Isn't that Bryanboy? Anyway, I've seen him before... he's a fairly famous fashion/purse blogger sort. EDIT: Sorry, jut realized; that's GoSurface. It was the frilly shirt that confused me.
lol8[1].gif
(j/k)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
saw this before you clarified you were joking lol
Haha, yeah, I figured I'd clarify in case people didn't know. It really look nothing like GS (except for the purse.) I'm pretty sure it's Bryanboy. http://www.bryanboy.com/

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Haha, yeah, I figured I'd clarify in case people didn't know. It really look nothing like GS (except for the purse.)

I'm pretty sure it's Bryanboy.
http://www.bryanboy.com/

So I had to go to his website. I was surprised to see that we have the same taste in wallets. He wants the Margiela discoball wallet, which I have coveted for some time.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bryanboy is an e-celeb as well on another forum I lurk on. Epic.

I've been jonesing for a Saddleback Leather bag lately, likely going to make my cop this summer. Possibly the medium or large satchel in light tobacco brown, or perhaps one of the similar styles.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Bryanboy at least is thin; I sometimes see fat ULHs with bad complexions carrying fake Hermes Birkins or some Gucci logoed purse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads