• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

bwsbbc

Reaction score
What color DB's should i get. Id like to stay away from the all too typical tan (already have them in tan) and also dont like the beeswax leather (?) style. Im open to any color, but am really feeling the brown ones. Maybe grey? Help me stylish ones.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ibrock
It looks pretty solid to me, nothing special just the usual SW+D steez but it's alot better then some of the things the newbies post...

+1
Good fit for a new guy.

bubbleboys

Reaction score
pl694246-00vliv01.jpg
pl694246-00drvliv01.jpg
first pair of chelsea boots, plan on only sticking to one for a while, so sticking with black color how are these?

blynch

Reaction score
^if you are just getting one boot, go with brown over black as it is more versatile. I don't really care for those, but I don't really like chelseas anyways.

edit: they are calvin klein, so I'm guessing they aren't too great of quality

fiasco

Reaction score
I should be graduating and getting my bachelors in June...im gonna need to buy my first suit for the interview process. i dont have a ton of money but i want something that fits well and has decent quality.

So basically my question is, whats a good suit for a first time suit buyer?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A) Go to MC
B) Solid charcoal or navy

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
^if you are just getting one boot, go with brown over black as it is more versatile. I don't really care for those, but I don't really like chelseas anyways.

edit: they are calvin klein, so I'm guessing they aren't too great of quality

is there something particularly wrong with calvin klein build quality? Also, any particular reason you don't like Chelsea boots? From what I read up about them, they seem very versatile, able to be worn in a wide range of situations.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys
is there something particularly wrong with calvin klein build quality? Also, any particular reason you don't like Chelsea boots? From what I read up about them, they seem very versatile, able to be worn in a wide range of situations.
A) The leather is beyond **** quality, it feels like plastic B) In all likelihood they have cemented soles C) Stitching and construction is going to be miles behind good shoemakers

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting some Raf Simons basic tees. Anyone here familiar with the sizing? I have a 40 in. chest, should I just get a sz 40? Or is it not that simple? It's on Yoox where I've had some buying catastrophies before.

airrmaxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fiasco
I should be graduating and getting my bachelors in June...im gonna need to buy my first suit for the interview process. i dont have a ton of money but i want something that fits well and has decent quality.

So basically my question is, whats a good suit for a first time suit buyer?

The first suit I bought for that grad ceremony was a nice gray banana republic suit. Tailored/slim fit, two button suit jacket and slim fit pants. I got it for 140 total during their sales. Sometimes they have great coupons. H&m, uniqlo are nice and cheap but quality is not that great.
Hope that helps.

airrmaxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwsbbc
What color DB's should i get. Id like to stay away from the all too typical tan (already have them in tan) and also dont like the beeswax leather (?) style. Im open to any color, but am really feeling the brown ones. Maybe grey? Help me stylish ones.

I am really diggin the taupe ones. I own the beeswax brown and that is aging nicely. I was really tempted in buying the taupe or dark brown. I got mine from BR for 59 after a 40% coupon.

fiasco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airrmaxx
The first suit I bought for that grad ceremony was a nice gray banana republic suit. Tailored/slim fit, two button suit jacket and slim fit pants. I got it for 140 total during their sales. Sometimes they have great coupons. H&m, uniqlo are nice and cheap but quality is not that great.
Hope that helps.

how do you feel about thick as thieves? is this something i should consider?

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fit will be spot on only if you know how to measure yourself (best to have someone help or if you are really unsure go to any tailor and ask them to take your measurements). Construction isn't going to be the best ever but it's better than most of what you'll find at that price (H&M, Zara, BR, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads