• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much living area do you have in your pad/crib?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Sun-Biltmore-House-2.jpg

Let's just say that this is the kids' playhouse.
wink.gif

You must have a lot of marsupialed kids. Maybe stop reproducing?
frown.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I am super interested in small footprint modern homes, My "dream house" would probably be sub-1000 sf, contemporary, and with creatively maximized use of space. I like many of the small-plot homes being built in Japan, and some of the green pre-fab's coming out.

Particularly interested in the new HOMB project.

This +1. I want a small modern home. 1000sf. intelligent design. maybe a weekend retreat for space

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You must have a lot of marsupialed kids. Maybe stop reproducing?
frown.gif

You shoud know about marsupialed, douche.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
This +1. I want a small modern home. 1000sf. intelligent design. maybe a weekend retreat for space

Thats what I work so hard for is so I can have a 1000sq ft home.
eh.gif

Just moved in over the weekend it's 980sq ft in total. It's fine for living space but if it wasn't for my warehouse space for all my bikes, climbing gear, cars, extra furniture the place would be another junk pile. I would say I use about 1000sq ft of the warehouse.

(don't rip on it to much I have lived there 2 days. Not sure which way to go with decorating the place)
livingroom2010.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
eh.gif

Just moved in over the weekend it's 980sq ft in total. It's fine for living space but if it wasn't for my warehouse space for all my bikes, climbing gear, cars, extra furniture the place would be another junk pile. I would say I use about 1000sq ft of the warehouse.

(don't rip on it to much I have lived there 2 days. Not sure which way to go with decorating the place)
livingroom2010.jpg

It's more done up than my place and I moved in a month ago
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
eh.gif

There is a big difference between what one could call an excess of space, and enough space. Maybe you use a lot of space. Maybe you just don't realize how much space you Don't use. I dunno. I don't want, need, or use a lot of space. There is an enormous amount of space that you will never really use (in that picture) Oh, you might buy something to "fill up" the space. But they way that room is designed, you NEED extra space so that you don't "feel" closed in. There are ways to more intelligently utilize space so that you don't need huge rooms. When I say I want to 1000 sq ft. house, I'm not talking about a "wasteful" 1000sq ft western style house. I'm talking about a consciously designed, well-thought out 1000sq ft house. This house is built on a 322sq foot lot. Less than 900sq feet of floor space.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. This house is built on a 480 square foot lot.
mineralhousejapan1.jpg
mineralhousejapan3.jpg
mineralhousejapan2.jpg
mineralhousejapan4.jpg
mineralhousejapan5.jpg
You can see the built-in storage for things like shoes, bedding, and etc. in the floor below:
reflectionmineraltekuto.jpg
Carport:
japanesehousemineral4.jpg

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
It's more done up than my place and I moved in a month ago
smile.gif

I broke up with a long term girlfriend and sorta left in a huff and left everything. Moved into a place with nothing but my clothes. Spent the next 3 months of weekends buying everything. It's amazing how much you really do have to buy when you have nothing. No couch, no bed no tv.

Won't make that mistake again.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still down the couch and TV...I have a small love-seat thing but not large enough for a friend to crash on. I don't care too much about the TV...although I'd like to have one as the speakers are getting kind of lonely. I had a couch seller flake out on craigslist last weekend (who doesn't check if their roommate wants the couch before selling it?). I am waiting for measurments on another one... I need something on the smaller side <80" and preferably not too deep (the one that got away was probably about 30"). Price is somewhat of a consideration, and being able to fold down might be nice but as long as someone can sleep on it (maybe not a sober someone) and it looks good, I will be happy. the stuff here: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/c...8?sms_ss=email looks good but no longer exists...the CL one I found was also from CB2 but it had a folding bit

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
There is a big difference between what one could call an excess of space, and enough space.
Maybe you use a lot of space. Maybe you just don't realize how much space you Don't use. I dunno. I don't want, need, or use a lot of space. There is an enormous amount of space that you will never really use (in that picture) Oh, you might buy something to "fill up" the space. But they way that room is designed, you NEED extra space so that you don't "feel" closed in. There are ways to more intelligently utilize space so that you don't need huge rooms.

When I say I want to 1000 sq ft. house, I'm not talking about a "wasteful" 1000sq ft western style house. I'm talking about a consciously designed, well-thought out 1000sq ft house.

This house is built on a 322sq foot lot. Less than 900sq feet of floor space.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Man, I love the Pengin house. Though within the last few years I have been seeing more and more split lot houses popping up. I would totally dig one of those if it will be in my range after graduation/wedding and stuff. I have had a hell of a time finding pics of them online but they are usually a modern design with a carport/garage and small entry on the bottom floor, Kitchen on the second floor, Living/Dinning rooms on the third floor and Bedrooms on the top floor. Real skinny tall buildings, though most are built with efficiency in mind.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
600 sq ft and I still have a bunch of room. Mostly because I don't have any furniture.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
4100 sq. above ground w/1700 basement plus a garage.

Sometimes it feels too big and sometimes too small.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyl
check out this 330 sq ft apartment. it's pretty awesome....

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/vid...ace-saver.html

Its cool, but my place is about the same size (in sqft), feels bigger than this. In these small places hiding the bed is really important for making it feel bigger. Also, having tall ceilings helps a lot.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figure my apartment is around 400 sq. ft. A bit more space would be nice, but it's perfectly livable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads