• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do people think about the Red Wing chukkas?

I'm deciding between the three RW chukkas J Crew seems to stock:

This chukka, which can be worn like a traditional chukka (even w shorts)

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...5568/25568.jsp

Or two of the "high-top", five-eyelet chukkas they have in their NY men's shops. One is in all tan-leather and one is in nubuck.

They look similar to this:

http://jakedavis.typepad.com/.a/6a00...935d970b-800wi

Anyone have any experience with these?

Also, I saw a madras shirt in store (not online yet) with a pocket that people here would like

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How are JCrew Ludlow suits? I might be interested in the khaki/tan suit. The Ludlow is supposed to be the slimmer version but are they cut really slim?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
How are JCrew Ludlow suits? I might be interested in the khaki/tan suit. The Ludlow is supposed to be the slimmer version but are they cut really slim?

They are cut slim, but to the guys over at mc they look ridiculous.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
They are cut slim, but to the guys over at mc they look ridiculous.

Could you emphasize more? As in they feel it is too slim, because that is actually a good sign to me.

twylo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mitchellmcm27
I just got mine in. It's pretty cool. The fabric is very lightweight and soft, which will hopefully be perfect for summer. I say hopefully because I've had shirts with lightweight fabric that tends to stick to the skin and make things worse during the summer. We'll see.

As for the fit, it's obviously not slim and seems to fit about the same as their other shirts. One thing I noticed was that the armholes seem to come down a littler lower
facepalm.gif
but this is probably because of the fabric.

Care to post a picture as to what it looks like?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Could you emphasize more? As in they feel it is too slim, because that is actually a good sign to me.

No, they are slim not skinny. There are many problems with the Ludlow fit, but the main problem is the lapels. The lapels are so narrow you would need a 1"-1.5" or "shoe lace" tie for the proportions to work.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinetic
Green madras shirt I pre-ordered shipped today, can't wait to check it out. No shipping fees either, good stuff.

How'd you get no shipping fees? I just ordered the Baltic madras shirt.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
How'd you get no shipping fees? I just ordered the Baltic madras shirt.

There are no shipping fees on preorders.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
No, they are slim not skinny. There are many problems with the Ludlow fit, but the main problem is the lapels. The lapels are so narrow you would need a 1"-1.5" or "shoe lace" tie for the proportions to work.

Ahhh, gotcha. Skipped. Thanks!

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the second ones more. But I think it's just personal preference and what you plan to wear them with. I tend to stay away from "rugged" footwear myself, unless the footwear is for a specific activity such as hiking boots.

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
What do people think about the Red Wing chukkas?

I'm deciding between the three RW chukkas J Crew seems to stock:

This chukka, which can be worn like a traditional chukka (even w shorts)

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...5568/25568.jsp

Or two of the "high-top", five-eyelet chukkas they have in their NY men's shops. One is in all tan-leather and one is in nubuck.

They look similar to this:

http://jakedavis.typepad.com/.a/6a00...935d970b-800wi

Anyone have any experience with these?

Also, I saw a madras shirt in store (not online yet) with a pocket that people here would like

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lapels on the old Ludlow fit were still very slim, but could possible be worn casually and without a tie.
The current lapels on the Ludlow fit are just stupid.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I might still want to try them on but I could imagine a size 36 being scarce in the store.
I also liked the blue cord sport coat but it is sized as a small and that probably equals a size 38 instead of a 36.
Price is pretty good on sale too.

mitchellmcm27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by twylo
Care to post a picture as to what it looks like?

Here you go, straight out of the box, wrinkles and all. The last one shows pretty well what I'm talking about with the arm holes. This is a size M.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

For reference I'm about 6'1" 175lbs and can I wear a small in all J.Crew sweaters and some of their shirts. The pulling across the shoulders is from my having my hands in my pockets like that, but it is almost too small. I have broad shoulders.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mitchellmcm27
Here you go, straight out of the box, wrinkles and all. The last one shows pretty well what I'm talking about with the arm holes. This is a size M.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

For reference I'm about 6'1" 175lbs and can I wear a small in all J.Crew sweaters and some of their shirts. The pulling across the shoulders is from my having my hands in my pockets like that, but it is almost too small. I have broad shoulders.

jeebus, how do you wear a size small? I'm 6' 165lbs and I wear a Medium in J.Crew... small size would not fit.... unless you have really stubby arms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads