• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which car to get - Land Rover LR3 vs. MDX vs. Ford Explorer?

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
There's actually a new Explorer on the horizon for 2011, from the photo's I saw, it had a lot of the Edge's design cues.
Well if you want a unibody suburban cruiser just get the Highlander and be done with it. It'll look better and will be just as "capable" on the trail.
Originally Posted by edmorel
Plus, I am trying to do what I can to halp the beleaguered US Auto Workers union.
Wow. This is the first time I've heard anybody say that. Especially after "Hoffman, Bryce G. "Jobs Bank Programs—12,000 Paid Not to Work." Detroit News. October 17, 2005."

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you're confusing help with halp. The UAW needs lots of halp.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
Well if you want a unibody suburban cruiser just get the Highlander and be done with it. It'll look better and will be just as "capable" on the trail.

Wow. This is the first time I've heard anybody say that. Especially after "Hoffman, Bryce G. "Jobs Bank Programs"”12,000 Paid Not to Work." Detroit News. October 17, 2005."

Don't know why, but the Highlander does little for me, IMO it's lines are a little too feminine in shape. I'm not a big fan of unibody's, but if I was in the market, I'd probably get a Flex (it literally has all the aerodynamics of my house), but it's actually quite an interestingly designed vehicle.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking at the Yukon Hybrid this weekend, will let you know.

looking at the Lexus also (and Inifiniti), nothing in Toyota's lineup dazzles me. The Land Cruiser is supposedly a good vehicle, but not crazy about the styling/price. Plus, I am trying to do what I can to halp the beleaguered US Auto Workers union.

I do shudder at the thought of driving in a Yukon for a service appt and driving out in a Chevy Aveo loaner car
eek.gif

Ed,

give us a summary of your weekend test-drive.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
At different times I've had a 99 Discovery, 2003 Discovery, 2006 RR SC (SC=supercharged), 2010 RR SC, and recently bought a NAS Defender 110 that needs some work. I still have the 03 Discovery, 10 RR, and D110. If you follow the maintenance guidelines you have ZERO problems with landrovers. **** breaks because dumbasses don't realize you HAVE TO (absolutely have to) do the services when you are supposed to . . .
Fess up, you work for LR right? How does regular maintenance help with the myriad of electrical, compression, and suspension problems LR3 owners regularly report? I love Land Rovers - had a D90 for a number of years, but denying that they are, to be kind, "service intensive" is like denying that the sky is blue. Someone else mentioned the 4Runner. It's a new model this year, though it was released with little fanfare. I drove an FJ Cruiser for a while and loved it. The 4Runner is the FJ, minus the Tonka aesthetics.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
I test drove the Q7 4.2 and found the interior to be very nice, the blindspots atrocious and the ride to be way too "bouncy". The handling was really mushy. I wanted to like it but came away disappointed.

I drove the X5 4.8 after it and loved it. It was everything the Q7 was not. The only downside I found was the small trunk/lack of third row seating - though they are offering a jump seat in the trunk in the 2010s.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Hey Ed, did you figure out the vibration issue? I'm wondering if it was the wheel or the tires...

Sorry about the threak derailment.

not yet, wife has been driving it and she does not drive fast enough to where it becomes an issue. changing tires this weekend, will see what happens.

Originally Posted by lee_44106
Ed,

give us a summary of your weekend test-drive.

Did not get around to that one. Car will mostly be used by missus and me on weekends for hauling people/stuff. She really, really liked the Navigator though.

Originally Posted by Big A
Fess up, you work for LR right?

How does regular maintenance help with the myriad of electrical, compression, and suspension problems LR3 owners regularly report?

I hate when people say that ****. "Did you do the maintenance?". I not only did all the scheduled stuff but kept going back there like an idiot even after the warranty was done and got everything, even oil changes, done at LR Paramus. Google LR Freelander problems and take a look at what pops up. Class action suits etc. The service dept. at LR Paramus was like a MMA cage fight every morning when we went in for service. Every bay had a car, a line of cars to be worked on and about 10 people fighting with the reps about the cars, loaners etc etc.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
No, you're confusing help with halp. The UAW needs lots of halp.
I'm sorry but what is halp? I looked it up and all I got was a bunch of kittens with funny quotes.
Originally Posted by Big A
The 4Runner is the FJ, minus the Tonka aesthetics.
Couldn't agree more.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She really, really liked the Navigator though.

I bought one for my daily driver, but after a year, I realized that it wasn't for me and got rid of it. I like to drive cars and as a daily, it just didn't suit me well. Nice vehicle though, albeit a bit blingy.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
I'm sorry but what is halp? I looked it up and all I got was a bunch of kittens with funny quotes.

Actually that's what halp really is. The UAW won't be getting much of anything else.

I actually like the Ford Flex. It's like a Coleman water cooler on wheels, and it's low enough to the ground to escape all pretense of going off-road.

I saw that Merc someone posted before, only the one I see is black and sits in a parking spot all the time. For some mysterious reason it is always spotless and clean.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
MDX. My dad currently has the LR3 and used to own an MDX. While the LR3 is nicer, it's only 2 years old and already has gone to the dealer 3 times for electronics issues that make the car undriveable (literally). The MDX had 0 problems in five years.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
MDX. My dad currently has the LR3 and used to own an MDX. While the LR3 is nicer, it's only 2 years old and already has gone to the dealer 3 times for electronics issues that make the car undriveable (literally). The MDX had 0 problems in five years.

Sounds like one of the better LR3's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads