• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much living area do you have in your pad/crib?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
14 rooms,that's a big ass house (facility,building or whatever).

Built for a doctor, in an era when doctors conducted their practice out of their home.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
550sq ft or so? I forget exactly what I calculated and my measuring was somewhat haphazard.

I was actually surprised it was that low...open layout (no hallways eating up your square footage), modest bedroom, and a really tiny bathroom makes the place feel bigger than a 500 sq ft 1-bedroom.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In many urban areas in US RE square footage is grossly exaggerated. US has neither universal standard nor low that govern how sq. footage is supposed to be measured for the purpose of RE transactions...

v0rtex

Reaction score
1000sqft studio in downtown Orlando. 2 of us and an elderly cat.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
In many urban areas in US RE square footage is grossly exaggerated. US has neither universal standard nor low that govern how sq. footage is supposed to be measured for the purpose of RE transactions...

Yeah, when I measured it myself, I was a bit unsure of what to count.

I ended up measuring the walls and sticking with that (although I may have chopped off a little closet space). Some issues were:
Closets- do they count? I probably have something like 30-50 sq ft of closet space but when the doors are closed it might as well just be a wall.
Kitchen- am I really going for sq ft of floor space? Or do I include counter/appliance space? I would want to know the wall to wall number...but both numbers tell you something useful about the space.
Bathroom- same as kitchen, does the shower/bathtub count? What about the deep window sill? It isn't floor space but it is 3-5 sq ft of space to put my shampoo.
Everywhere- My apartment is pretty much rectangular...why not just report Length*Width and be done. this is what I imagine a lot of bulk real estate listings actually do...but it obviously includes things like walls (as well as everything questionable above) that shouldn't really count in your floor space.

Wall to wall seems like an easy standard...but "usable floor space" might be more meaningful.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am super interested in small footprint modern homes, My "dream house" would probably be sub-1000 sf, contemporary, and with creatively maximized use of space. I like many of the small-plot homes being built in Japan, and some of the green pre-fab's coming out.

Particularly interested in the new HOMB project.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-divorce: 4,000sf w/ pool & hottub
Poast-divorce: 2,400sf rental. Lawncare included in the rent.
bigstar[1].gif

Want: 2+BR condo near downtown...not sure about the size. Prob 3 or 4 years off. Need to get my boys into college before I can move out of the 'burbs.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Built for a doctor, in an era when doctors conducted their practice out of their home.

This kind of repurposing creeps me out a little. I've seen some cool prisons, etc. remade into condos, but I don't think I could live there. It's not exactly superstition, but I guess it's close.

My place is <1000 sq ft single family home, 2 bed, 1 bath. When m'lady and I moved in, my mom sent me a magazine on "Small Homes"--their qualification being lesss than 2500 sq ft!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The missus and I currently share 650 sq ft plus deeded garage parking and a rented storage space, all in a huge condo building. It is waaaaaay too small.

Our next place will not be less than 1000 sq ft plus outdoor space, parking space, and pet friendly. There has to be enough room to store bikes, extra seasonal crap, etc.

b

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We just had to have ours measured a couple of years ago for new CC&amp;Rs. The square foot measure was pretty damn exact. I re-did the math myself from the drawings.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeez, 15K square feet? That is monstrous.

If I had to guess, we currently have about 2K, but that includes an attic area that is barely usable on account of the low, vaulted ceilings and lack of proper HVAC.

We will be moving in the late summer and will have about 2,950 sq. ft. of living area on the main two floors. Basement adds another 750 or so but is, and will remain for now, unfinished. I have pretty precise numbers b/c the architect measured everything out in fresh dwgs.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sun-Biltmore-House-2.jpg
Let's just say that this is the kids' playhouse.
wink.gif

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
We will be moving in the late summer and will have about 2,950 sq. ft. of living area on the main two floors. Basement adds another 750 or so but is, and will remain for now, unfinished. I have pretty precise numbers b/c the architect measured everything out in fresh dwgs.

What's the driveway situation at the new place?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
What's the driveway situation at the new place?

No gravel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads