• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
This is true, you can easily find the signature Florentine single diagonal dart on Neapolitan jackets. Also when it comes to bespoke, the lines are even more blurred.

Yea, you can ask for anything you want in HK bespoke
smile.gif

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Yea, you can ask for anything you want in HK bespoke
smile.gif

key word being "ask"...

BlackMesa

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks maomao for the nice pictorial of your experience. Your coat is looking quite nice, please update once you have the finished item.

Originally Posted by gazman70k

3) A single dart on the side. Notice the wonderfully uninterrupted checked pattern that Waomao shared with us

I would say that this would be the most identifiable Florentine touch. While from the front the pattern will be nice and clean, but from the side the disruption is more severe since the dart is on a angle.
The long side dart is also seen on many overcoats regardless of regionality.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Most exerent..

Nice change from the SF dream group think of Rubinacci..

but maybe becoming an HK thing...

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seminara looks interesting, supposedly cheaper than Liverano as well.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Tends to be trim and short. The defining characteristic is that the dart is diagonal going from under the arm to the to the pocket. See here (credit: uppercase)

dart1.jpg

i just forgotten how lovely that cloth is! thanks!!
smile.gif

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Maomao! L&L have put together a pretty decent cut for you. Also, you seem to enjoy working with them, which is maybe the most important factor.

Originally Posted by iammatt
All in all, the various regional styles are not as different as we would make them seem.

This is true, you can easily find the signature Florentine single diagonal dart on Neapolitan jackets. Also when it comes to bespoke, the lines are even more blurred.
True that. In my experience, regional differences are quite a bit overpronounced in the interwebz. IRL, differences between different houses in one region can be just as striking, granted one is willing to leave touristic paths.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Is that an earring in your left ear?

Is that i-Gent (or i-Thugs as the Asian contigent prefer) approved?
laugh.gif

he also wears a signet ring.

paging ******

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The pictorial that I want to see is how different streets in Naples have their own street style, and different cuts AM or PM depending on the position of the sun.

This I know: the most common regional feature of Neopolitan jackets is the single long back dart, going down the center of the back from the middle of the collar to the hem. Look for it.

- B

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
This I know: the most common regional feature of Neopolitan jackets is the single long back dart, going down the center of the back from the middle of the collar to the hem. Look for it.

- B

Woo-hoo! I have Neopolitan style jackets and I didn't even know it! :^)

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pictorial that I want to see is how different streets in Naples have their own street style, and different cuts AM or PM depending on the position of the sun.

- B

I think it is commonly referred to by the Neapolitan tailors as the crack-o-napoletano

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is commonly referred to by the Neapolitan tailors as the crack-o-napoletano
No, this actually refers to the dart running along the entire sleeve. What you meant was the so-called nottonirli-a-spalla.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
No, this actually refers to the dart running along the entire sleeve. What you meant was the so-called nottonirli-a-spalla.

Another feature common to the Neapolitan cut is the taglio di Vesuvio, which is an upside down, volcano-shaped opening in the front of the jacket, with lapels on either side.

Artful Italians often wear a necktie around their neck, and dangle the body of the tie in the center of the taglio di Vesuvio, in full public view.

Another thing that Neapolitan jackets often have are pockets, some inside, some outside.

- B

UpperWestie

Reaction score

- B

You clearly didn't read the article.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads