• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most useful language to learn next?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would suggest learning Canadian. That way, under the upcoming Canadian World Domination, you will speak the language of your overlords.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, if you are talking about usefulness, it is FAR better to be competent at actually doing something (Economics, Law, etc) than to know a language. If you want to work in China as something besides a language teacher or some other kind of novelty act entertainer, it is much better to have great work experience here than to be fluent in Chinese but to have weaker work experience.

I think it'd be more productive to just learn something you like. What language of movies would you enjoy watching?

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
To be honest, if you are talking about usefulness, it is FAR better to be competent at actually doing something (Economics, Law, etc) than to know a language. If you want to work in China as something besides a language teacher or some other kind of novelty act entertainer, it is much better to have great work experience here than to be fluent in Chinese but to have weaker work experience.

I think it'd be more productive to just learn something you like. What language of movies would you enjoy watching?

That is good general advice, but again, I'm interested in picking up a third language, and I'd like this one to be useful.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, what field are you in? What are you interested in doing? It's hard to answer your question without more information.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I would suggest learning Canadian. That way, under the upcoming Canadian World Domination, you will speak the language of your overlords.

Canadian = funny sounding French?

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
OP, what field are you in? What are you interested in doing? It's hard to answer your question without more information.

1) Healthcare

2) honestly, I'd like to get away from the healthcare industry, into something else. Kind of hard though due to my work experience and education, plus the crap economy.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its hard to say what a "usefull" language is.

for me, I would say spanish, arabic and german - with english and those three, you can work out a way to communicate with a large chunk of the world.

hindi is about the least useful language to learn as a foreign language - the people you want to speak to in india speak english, and so many other languages and dialects are spoken that having hindi probrably wont' do you any good.

brazilian portugues is a good language. manderin. russian.

again, without understand what makes a language useful its ahrd to say what will be useful to you.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
step 1) learn urdu/Arabic
step 2) join cia
step 3) become the US version of James Bond

Jason Bourne?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you're really planning to live in China long term, there's really no point to learning Mandarin; many Chinese employees at major companies are fluent in English.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Agreed the Chinese at a business level you would want to deal with speak English well enough and there is no expectation that Westerners speak Mandarin.

I think Arabic would be an extremely interesting language to learn and potentially useful...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
without knowing the sectorin which you work, mandarinf would eb the overall better choice. but Arabic would eb better if you want to master both speaking and written forms.

Well, we know what language scarphe needs to learn
laugh.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Canadian = funny sounding French?

That would be Quebecois.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
I just got back from traveling through China and picked up an extremely small amount of Mandarin while I was there. It's an extremely hard language to learn (coming from a Western, English speaking-perspective) but I believe it could open up a lot of doors for you. Plus, if you like challenges, Mandarin is a big one. I've been told it takes 9 years of full-time study to become fluent and I fully believe that.
Nah, spoken Mandarin is pretty easy once you get over yourself. Reading and writing is a different matter, but hanyu pin yin-ed out, Mandarin isn't hard once you accept that the sounds are kinda unnatural and then just roll with it. Cantonese was harder. Vietnamese harder than them both, despite its natively Romanised written form.
Originally Posted by Sherlock
Why would mandarin open a lot of doors? Unless you're planning on going to china, I can't see how knowing chinese will help you in anything here in the western hemisphere.
Because of this:
Originally Posted by Milpool
So much mfg is conducted in China now, plus it is a massive economy that most every US company wants to sell their crap to the Chinese.
I agree that Mandarin would be on my list with English and Spanish as the most important languages to learn. People have made the case that senior business folk in China 'all speak English anyhow' - the same case can be made for Japan, Korea, pretty much anywhere in Asia, and certainly for most Spanish speaking countries, where English is closer to their native tongue that learning it is not such a stretch... Plus they will always speak among themselves in Chinese, so you can eavesdrop and reveal yourself at will (or not at all, and then you will know how they plan to screw you in the end). I do it all the time. Anyhow, I would say, with the direction that the world is heading and the moment, and the ongoing dependence on China for manufacturing and as the world's largest market for basically everything, Mandarin sits high.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm gonna learn arabic next, myself. Watch out for those Canuckistanis!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads