• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynchpatrickj
I was depressed to learn that J Crew sized small shirts are a little too slim for my shoulders, which aren't particularly broad. Tried on the 484 in my size, and it's comically slim-fitting; probably not something most people could be taken seriously while wearing, unfortunately. Wierdly enough, the outlet shirts fit me much better than the flagship merchandise does! Anybody else have the same experience?

You can't have much muscle with their shirts, which is something I like, since so many companies go overboard with room.

If the 484 is too slim, move to the vintage slim, if that is too slim, keep moving up. That's one of the advantages of denim, you can find something you like.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
You can't have much muscle with their shirts, which is something I like, since so many companies go overboard with room.

If the 484 is too slim, move to the vintage slim, if that is too slim, keep moving up. That's one of the advantages of denim, you can find something you like.

What you're saying is certainly true. Y'allsMMV, but I found that sizing up one in the waist of the vintage slim improved the fit greatly for me; if the high (natural?) waist feels strange to you, but you don't want such a full trouser leg as the traditional fit, you might size up and ride them lower, too.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
Really? I've always felt the shoulders on the smalls were normal sized- if not a little broader than normal. And the 484s are comically slim fitting compared to what? I'd say they're a little looser through the thighs than levi's 511s. Yeah they're pretty slim compared to other jcrew pants/jeans, but thats not saying a ton.

The 484's in my waist size felt like they were velcro'd to my thighs; that, vs. say, a slim-boot RRL sized appropriately. Should have been more informative, sorry.

And I actually found the traditional fit to be the best fitting out of all of them on me, excepting the high waist.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 484's in my waist size felt like they were velcro'd to my thighs; that, vs. say, a slim-boot RRL sized appropriately. Should have been more informative, sorry.

And I actually found the traditional fit to be the best fitting out of all of them on me, excepting the high waist.

I had this also. Vintage slim fit works great for me, but the 484 are just way too slim in the thighs.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I had this also. Vintage slim fit works great for me, but the 484 are just way too slim in the thighs.

+1. 484's are skin tight on my thighs.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
+1. 484's are skin tight on my thighs.

484 Slim Fit is great if you have kids and are looking to do some family planning.

Much cheaper than a proper vasectomy.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
484 Slim Fit is great if you have kids and are looking to do some family planning.

laugh.gif

onlyjjp

Reaction score
How do the waist fit for the 484's and vintage-slim in comparison to levis? Also, does it vary with jeans and chinos?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I thought about getting that deal, but passed because H&M suits are half as much. Great deal for that suit though.

h&m's proper suiting line "h&m man" (made in turkey i believe) runs around $249 for complete suits, separates when bought together clock in at about 30 dollars less. but you do get a cool looking albeit probably flammable garment bag.

I was depressed to learn that J Crew sized small shirts are a little too slim for my shoulders, which aren't particularly broad. Tried on the 484 in my size, and it's comically slim-fitting; probably not something most people could be taken seriously while wearing, unfortunately. Wierdly enough, the outlet shirts fit me much better than the flagship merchandise does! Anybody else have the same experience?

it's been discussed that the outlet =/= same fit as in store, as they have their own designers and cut the clothes more generously to accomodate the fact that "fatties" tend to shop at the outlets rather than in-store. quality is also very different.

as far as the 484 goes, i love the fit. pretty much average build (5'8, 157 lbs) and skinny legs.

4076281930_4cfc56be31.jpg

still have a little bit that i can pinch at the sides when i stand, and the mid rise makes it easier to wear with tucked shirts which something i can't say for other skinny jeans i've owned. i wear these on the rare occasions i'm not wearing my go-to pair of KMW rockers, but i was really impressed with the fact that their jeans are made in canada and feature chainstitched details, even though they're not selvage.

in unrelated news, their portugal catalog features a dude with prominent forearm tattoos. i guess they're trying to push the envelope more, or realize that tatted-up men like NewYorkRanger and myslef are also customers (or at least, in his case, were customers).

dragonxking

Reaction score
ctrlaltelite,
what size are those?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

win

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they're a 32x30, though they did stretch at the waist considerably (there's like 2% elasthane, or some similar stretchy fabric), they shrank back down after a hot wash (not soak).

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Ha ha. Having experienced both (the 484s and the vasectomy), I can say the 484s are only slightly less painful.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i caught my lady poking holes into my jeans. should i be worried?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Ha ha. Having experienced both (the 484s and the vasectomy), I can say the 484s are only slightly less painful.

TMI!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads