• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Lol. Old man is a ******* stud.

Thanks Kyle.
fing02[1].gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back to the OP. Finished off the last of last night's bottle of the Cambria Pinot this evening. Then decided to skip dinner and just snack tonight. Pulled out some cheese and berries and opened up another half-bottle of the Buller Muscat. Mmmm. Finished about half tonight. Probably will kill it off tomorrow. After that I only have one left in the cellar. Fortunately they're easy to find. When I have them around I go through them like candy.

joopie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joopie
Catches of the day:

2 cases of Clos de Tart (Mommesin) 2007;
36 bottles of Sassicaia 2006 (decided to replace 12 bottles of the 2007 by the 2006, as this is probably the best Sassicaia vintage in more than 20 years).

Now let's wait for another 10 years.

Update: Sassicaia 2006 now totalling 36 bottles, 12 magnums and 4 double magnums. Not everything delivered yet, but I'll try to take some pics.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Maybe. Or maybe one older than me. '68 BV Private Reserve?

drool.gif

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
A risk I'm willing to take. And since we know we're besties, you should try this bottle out w/ me and not Piobaire.

A KWilk AND Piob NYC celebration should probably involve *gasp* the magnums of Didier from Z's.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Thanks Kyle.
fing02[1].gif

but I must say "tuck me in" is one of the greatest things I've ever read on teh StyleForvm.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Update: Sassicaia 2006 now totalling 36 bottles, 12 magnums and 4 double magnums. Not everything delivered yet, but I'll try to take some pics.

Please stop.
frown.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude 36 bottles of Sassicaia and you'll try?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mentioned last week that I needed new stemware. Based partly on recommendations from here, found a sale on a 24 piece set of Spiegelau Vino Grande at Beverage Factory and pulled the trigger. Should arrive on Wednesday.

joopie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Dude 36 bottles of Sassicaia and you'll try?

Well, it has to fit in one picture, that will be the tricky part. Anyway, I'll do my best
smile.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it has to fit in one picture, that will be the tricky part. Anyway, I'll do my best
smile.gif

Nah, two, three, ten pictures. Its all good.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know i'm chiming in like 3 pages late on manton's and gomes' tasting notes, but they are really well done. i love the way they convey the fact that a really great piece of art -- music, drama, food, wine -- has an emotional impact that pretty much makes description secondary. you get a wine like that every once in a blue moon. glad you were able to experience it together (no ****, manton).

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
2210882830043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

I think this wine was overshadowed by the Didier talk. But I thought this was also excellent and it was a pleasure to drink. I don't often have red Burgs with a little age on them, so this qualified as a great opportunity for me. Perfect maturity but it still had great structure and depth. This wine was also a perfect match with the fried chicken, I am always a huge fan of food and wine complimenting each other (though I am not a "by the book!" food pairing type of guy).

I'll keep an eye out for the Burg with the Babe, worth seeking IMO.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
This wine was also a perfect match with the fried chicken, I am always a huge fan of food and wine complimenting each other (though I am not a "by the book!" food pairing type of guy).

just for what it's worth, at ad hoc they recommend the chicken with champagne. and it really works well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads