• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strength training w/o barbells, "heavy equipment or machines"

Reaction score
First off, I know a serious routine involves barbells; this thread is about making the most of the limitations of my current living situation. I can't get to the gym nearly as regularly as I'd like, thanks to my schedule and their hours, so I'm looking for something I can do in my apartment when I can't get to the gym. I live in an on-college-campus apartment, so barbells, other "heavy equipment or machines", and any modifications to the building are unacceptable. Dumbbells and kettlebells are fine, but I'm having difficulty finding good info on putting together a well-rounded routine, i.e. not just a bunch of dumbbell curls and shoulder presses or "GET FIT LIKE NAKED RUSSIAN WARRIOR WITH KETTLEBELLS". Any help putting together a routine for general strength training (not bodybuilding, but of course I want the best results possible, or I wouldn't be bothering to ask) would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, shoulder strength and endurance are my greatest concern, since they're the most limiting for what I do. Thanks!
smile.gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kettlebells are pretty good actually, there's tons of free info on putting programs together. A moderately heavy kettlebell will last you a long time before you outgrow it completely.

If you want to bench 300 or squat 400 then I'm sorry sir, you have no choice but to drag your ass to some barbells. But if you're like the majority of goofs here that just want to "get toned and lean" and be able to move a couch, then there are plenty of ways to make do if you have the work ethic.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
kettlebells are pretty good actually, there's tons of free info on putting programs together. A moderately heavy kettlebell will last you a long time before you outgrow it completely.
Could you suggest anything in particular? I've been looking, but most of what I've been finding has been along the lines of "magic Russian workout will make you buff". I already am "toned and lean", but I have a lot of trouble getting my hands on barbells when school's in session (I'm not a management or economics major), and I'm tired of losing weight during the semester because of that.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arbitrary Alias
First off, I know a serious routine involves barbells; this thread is about making the most of the limitations of my current living situation.

I can't get to the gym nearly as regularly as I'd like, thanks to my schedule and their hours, so I'm looking for something I can do in my apartment when I can't get to the gym. I live in an on-college-campus apartment, so barbells, other "heavy equipment or machines", and any modifications to the building are unacceptable. Dumbbells and kettlebells are fine, but I'm having difficulty finding good info on putting together a well-rounded routine, i.e. not just a bunch of dumbbell curls and shoulder presses or "GET FIT LIKE NAKED RUSSIAN WARRIOR WITH KETTLEBELLS".

Any help putting together a routine for general strength training (not bodybuilding, but of course I want the best results possible, or I wouldn't be bothering to ask) would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, shoulder strength and endurance are my greatest concern, since they're the most limiting for what I do.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Get a pullup bar, something like this, so no building modifications are needed
http://www.getirongym.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Cognacad

Reaction score
Well with puhsups, sit-ups, dumbells (and a bench), and pullups, you can work out your whole body. Flyes, inclines, flats, pullups wide and close, situps, crunches, pushups, lunges and squats for the legs, and some back lifts and your rocking!

Assuming you had access to dumbells

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got some of Ross Enamait's books and I am a believer. Plus, he really walks the walk - an amazing physical specimen. Check out rossfitness.com.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kettlebells rock. And all of that amazing russian warrior training? Well, some of it is actually pretty damn good. If you're talking about Pavel, it's probably the best beginner kettlebell programs out there.

aleeboy

Reaction score
You can build a decent body and strength with minimal equipment.

Essentials:
- Resistance bands
- Pull-up / dips station (these can be had pretty cheap. Put it in the corner of your room

Exercises you can do are:
- Single leg squats (I do these since I can't load my spine now)
- GHR (fix your feet under some furniture. Will take you time to develop strength do complete these
- Pull-ups / Dips (use bands for assistance / resistance)
- Push-ups (with bands)
- Lunges holding furniture / bag of rice???
- Hand-stand pushup with feet on wall
- Skipping (calves)
- SLDL
- Lateral raises with bag filled with bottles / books
- Overhead squats with books / bottles / bag

The options are limitless... You definitely should get bands and a pull-ups / dips station if you can.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do the Hershal Walker workout-2500 sit-ups and 1500 push-ups a day. He supposedly does not use weights.

czjl

Reaction score
I was wondering if single leg squats are bad if you have knee problems?

kruze

Reaction score
Herschel looks like a beast. And if that's all he's doing for a work out, he must be ingesting something.

kaizoku

Reaction score
Get any book by Ross Enamit, an old duffel bag/military sea bag full of rocks/sand/dirt, Perfect Pushup, and an Iron Gym Xtreme pullup bar.

Then get to work.

Kris

Reaction score
+1 on rosstraining.

Also, in general, I would say don't be such a *****, go extreme, get maxxxed, axxxed, jacked, shredded and torn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads