• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The shoe repair shop creased my pair of cordovan chukkas...

cynical kane

Reaction score
So I took my new pair of ravello Alden chukkas into Brooks Shoe Repair in Chicago, based on positive recommendations from Styleforum members. The job was simple: apply a Topy rubber sole, and wax the shoes.

When I got the shoes back one of them looked like someone had folded it over and ironed it. There's an ENORMOUS crease, a bright tan line across what was once a solid brown shoe.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1265045442

and here is the good shoe for comparison:

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1265045791

(They are the same color, but I think the flash hit the left shoe differently from the right shoe.)

The purpose of this post is twofold
* If you're in chicago, AVOID Brooks
* I plan to go back and chew them out, but my question is can this damage be fixed, and how so?

Edit: For Pete's sake, this isn't "natural wear". The damage is highly visible, in an unnatural place, and is uncharacteristic of the wear you see on cordovan, which doesn't make sharp crease lines. Calfskin shouldn't make lines that sharp, either.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing is broken. They have a crease. Your shoes will crease when you walk, unless you don't plan on using them.

I agree that reflects on the care given, but your shoes will crease more when you wear them, unless you don't plan on wearing them.

cynical kane

Reaction score
What are you talking about? None of my shoes have sharp, highly visible creases look like that, not even the calfskin shoes I have worn for years.

txeconomist

Reaction score
I can understand why you are upset... but unless you plan to wear them with shorts, I doubt anyone would ever notice. I just would send you business elsewhere.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty big crease! You all looking at the first pic?

Eligius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Wear them a few months, and then ask Alden for a partial refund.

Heavens no. Not Alden's problem.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Mr Moo was being funny.....Geez!!
OP, wait till you see what happens to the sole when you walk in them!!!! Its horrible!!!!

Regards.

Eligius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
^ Mr Moo was being funny.....Geez!!

Based on what? No smilie. And enough folks around here that would mean that.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Wear them a few months, and then ask Alden for a partial refund.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Eligius
Heavens no. Not Alden's problem.

facepalm.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand the OP's concern. An unnatural crease is an unnatural crease, and with shell, a crease in the wrong place can spell pain down the road. In this case, I imagine the boots are still perfectly wearable, but I don't see how applying Topys should have resulted in this. It's not the same as honest wear, no more so than if they'd come back with a water stain on them. Sure, it might happen at some point, but it shouldn't happen at the hands of a professional you're paying, presumably for his expertise.

What to be done? That I don't know. I just wouldn't go back to that cobbler if there are other options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads