• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here been to jail or prison?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to go to a used bookstore across from the old Eastern Penitentiary in Philadelphia. Took a tour of Trenton State Pen inJersey about 20 years ago. Have also been in the Camden and Salem County jails a bunch of times. Jail is not a nice place. Here an entertaining/disturbing book on the subject:

Attachment 37994

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I visited, and corresponded with, someone I knew who was in prison for a while, but I've never been in myself. It's one of those streaks I'm hoping to keep alive.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, but have been to visit relatives who were in prison.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I taught EAR/CPR and overdose prevention/management in both youth and medium security prisons in Australia, for a while. Oh and I provided a similar class to the screws at max security a couple times - they were actually pretty cool people and not at all like the stereotypes.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
I don't see Nantucket as having a lot of hardened criminals.
I spent two days in jail in my youth. One in Palm Beach, the other in Atherton, CA.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
99% of the time people in jail are just trying to do their time, mind their own biz and get out. There are always a few bad apples, but it's not like the movies.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
they tried, but my lawyer is too good
smile.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I spent two days in jail in my youth. One in Palm Beach, the other in Atherton, CA.

comparatively speaking, i bet those are some nice prisons.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent a night in Houston PD jail a about 3-4 years ago. I was the first one bailed out out of about 200 people in there. I was bailed out right before they started processing people to go to Harris County jail. Once you get into county, you're in for at least another 24 hours and you get the orange jumpsuit. City jail you can still wear your own clothes.

Milpool

Reaction score
As an undergrad I worked a crappy job that got a good portion of their labor from the prisoners that had daily work release.

They had to be back in county by a certain time each day otherwise they were in serious trouble. Their normal ride got in a minor car accident one day, so they begged me to drive them back to county.

Not very exciting.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go to prison at least two or three times a month.

Side note - I had a conversation with a guard at the local county prison recently. The prisoners were given a special treat over Christmas. An ice cream sandwich. That's right, the one bright spot in an year of incarceration was a single ice cream sandwich as donated by some local charity do-gooder group. I can't imagine my life being so empty and devoid of enjoyment as to anxiously await the one day per year I could enjoy the sweet-sweet deliciousness of an ice cream sandwich. It actually got me a little sad.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my previous life I was kind of a wannabe and kicked it with some dumbasses who were bigger wannabes. Landed me in real jail (as a minor) for a day when i was 17 for being associated with driving a car. That wasn't mine, or my friend's. Or anyone we knew. Interestingly during the same period I found myslef in the Drunk tank twice only because I didn't have any ID on me and they couldn't call my mommy to pick me up. Managed to get this all done before I turned 21 and have not had over one drink in a sitting since.
smile.gif
me no mixy good with alkeehol. (I'm sure I'd be fine now to have a few, but I just decided I don't need it in my life and do fine w/o it
smile.gif

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only visited someone in jail once, he was in for drugs trafficking. He was a friend of my parents and was caught in Denmark. So when I was about 8 or 9 we went to visit hem in his cell in Denmark and after that my parents took me and my brother to Legoland. Very cool stuff.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to jail a bunch of times, but never as an inmate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads