• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

jippm

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go for the best fitted shirt plus some modifications.

Thanks

.Impulsv

Reaction score
I've been lurking a while now and had some questions. I plan to measure a shirt I had tailored and order a white shirt with french cuffs.

What's a good material they offer for warm weather? They don't have white linen...
The shirt I'm measuring has a normal cuff. Will the same measurement work for a French cuff, or should I add some more length?
Will the styleforum20 coupon work for me, too?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by .Impulsv
I've been lurking a while now and had some questions. I plan to measure a shirt I had tailored and order a white shirt with french cuffs.

What's a good material they offer for warm weather? They don't have white linen...
The shirt I'm measuring has a normal cuff. Will the same measurement work for a French cuff, or should I add some more length?
Will the styleforum20 coupon work for me, too?

You won't need to adjust the sleeve measurement as long as its from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff IE where the cuff hits the first knuckle on your thumb.

Register with MT and try the styleforum20 coupon in the voucher tab of (your) my account to see if it works, which it should do.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I've got the fit this time. Next time I'll probably shorten the sholders 1/2 inch and lengthen the sleeves 1/2 inch. I might make the armholes smaller too. The fabric is thin but really beautiful 200s thread count. I have not washed the shirt yet.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Syb
Are you sure of that ?
If MT offers Alumo, Testa (Mason, Monti...) why don't they give this information in fabric description ?

Check out nialma.com - they use Thomas Mason as their "black label" and if you do the 4 for 3 it works out to be little more than $110.00 per shirt. You can get one sent out in advance to make sure you are happy with the fit/cut/fabric etc- MT seems a bit steep in comparison...

Last order I got free thick MOP buttons too.

Let MT handle the low end fabrics and go for other webtailors for the higher end construction and detail. I have been using these online guys for a while and have had my ups and downs!!!

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been debating the wisdom of using MT for higher quality fabrics. I'm not knowledgeable about what makes good shirt construction, but I don't get the impression that MT shirts are made using the best construction methods. But I do like their sales!

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sabvinnie
Check out nialma.com - they use Thomas Mason as their "black label" and if you do the 4 for 3 it works out to be little more than $110.00 per shirt. You can get one sent out in advance to make sure you are happy with the fit/cut/fabric etc- MT seems a bit steep in comparison...

Last order I got free thick MOP buttons too.

Let MT handle the low end fabrics and go for other webtailors for the higher end construction and detail. I have been using these online guys for a while and have had my ups and downs!!!

agreed, nialma for the 4 for 3 is best value at the higher-end. But their Premium fabrics are also great value - Italian I think. mytailor not bad either. buttons, stitching, turnaround time, service are very important - anyone can buy sheets of expensive fabric:)

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Looks like I've got the fit this time. Next time I'll probably shorten the sholders 1/2 inch and lengthen the sleeves 1/2 inch. I might make the armholes smaller too. The fabric is thin but really beautiful 200s thread count. I have not washed the shirt yet.
I think you have it here. The fit looks great to me. It's difficult to tell how perfect the fit is with an iNet photo. If you say you need a tweak here or there, I'm sure you're right on the money. I would suggest you wear a T-shirt with a shirt as thin as the one in your pics. It's perfectly fine to go for a thin fabric with a high thread count. If you want to wear this shirt in a hot/humid climate, it will be ideal. Regardless, you should wear a T-shirt under it to avoid the problems with transparency.

dbskhater

Reaction score
hi, I'm trying to get myself into the MTM world and saw Modern Tailor as a really good source. I was wondering if someone could PM me a $20 voucher so that I could try out a shirt before making any decisions to get a whole batch of shirts. Thanks

wysiwyg

Reaction score
I don't know if the $20 thing is working anymore, the bunch they spit out was last December. You can email their customer service and ask about a first-time voucher, they're fairly accommodating with that sort of thing.

a-rock

Reaction score
You could try the style20 coupon or simply email customer service. Explain you're a member here, how you heard about them, and want to give their service a go and whether they could provide a voucher. The gift vouchers were originally from around Thanksgiving/Christmas so they might not work anymore.

I asked them for a suit voucher in February and they gave me a $50 discount on a sportcoat even though that offer was from back in October, although I've been a repeat shirt customer.

Give it a shot...

raybert

Reaction score
Signed up and ordered a shirt for my father the other day. The styeforum20 coupon has expired. I ended up using "8couponsmoderntailor" for $10 - which pretty much pays for standard shipping for 1 shirt.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone able to report on results of laundering these shirts, ideally professionally? Any shrinkage? A friend of mine did his own and said he did it in warm water and tumbled dry with no ill effects, but I'd like a little more support for his experience.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Anyone able to report on results of laundering these shirts, ideally professionally? Any shrinkage? A friend of mine did his own and said he did it in warm water and tumbled dry with no ill effects, but I'd like a little more support for his experience.

I washed mine in warm water, dried in medium heat, it shrunk noticeably (for example, arms were shorten about 3/4 inches)

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

Haven't had any noticeable shrinkage on mine. Wash cold, dry for 30 minutes on low.

Sleeves may have shortened a little, about 1/4" on 32" sleeves. But they seem to be pretty decent at calculating in the shrinkage factor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads