• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
How difficult would it be for an international applicant to get into a top 5 MBA program if they have 2 years of international experience in BB IB or MBB consulting? What about MM PE?

Harvard and Stanford are trending younger, Chicago and MIT also to a certain degree. You'll have a difficult time at Kellogg and Wharton with 2 years of work experience, though.

As another poster said - without knowing the rest of your story, it's impossible to know your chances. Younger candidates generally need to have outstanding GMATs, GPAs and undergrad extracurriculars to make up for their lack of work experience.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jptoor
I'm currently a Haas student, and I understand that the true value of the degree is more who you know, rather than what you know. Although I am learning that dealing with a bunch of type A personalities will drive a type A personality mad...

I applied to Wharton undergrad, and didn't get in, but talked with a ton of professors and grads when I was applying, and many of them found their current positions through fraternity/class/alumni connections. One person said that less than 20 were recruited (class of 500~). Most of them got their jobs through connections.

Which is why I'm comfortable that an MBA+fraternity membership should get me a decent job.

I'm not sure I'm getting you here. Less than 20 in a Wharton undergrad class were recruited on-campus? If that's what you're saying, I'm gonna call your bluff. Wharton undergrads generally tend to work for big banks and consulting firms (probably over 50% of the class) which have formal and structured on-campus recruiting processes. Your connections do not mean much and you're on the same playing field as everyone else if you're shooting for Goldman Sachs or McKinsey.

Also... fraternity membership? Most of my frat bros started small businesses or went to go work in lower level positions because their GPAs were absolute crap (< 3.0). A handful were well connected and got jobs through their family or family connections. I suppose this would vary wildly on what kind of frat you were in.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally anecdotal experience:

I was next to two MBA students at a pretty good school (either top 5, or top 15, depending on who's rankings which week you look at
rolleyes.gif
). Not Harvard/Stanford/Wharton.

One had worked for Accenture as a consultant for a few years. The other had worked at three different small non-profit orgs in Manhattan. They both agreed coming from a non-traditional background was a big leg up, simply because so many applicants are from banks and consulting.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Totally anecdotal experience:

I was next to two MBA students at a pretty good school (either top 5, or top 15, depending on who's rankings which week you look at
rolleyes.gif
). Not Harvard/Stanford/Wharton.

One had worked for Accenture as a consultant for a few years. The other had worked at three different small non-profit orgs in Manhattan. They both agreed coming from a non-traditional background was a big leg up, simply because so many applicants are from banks and consulting.

Yeah I don't know about that. Current students are not exactly the best source for this kind of a thing..

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
They both agreed coming from a non-traditional background was a big leg up, simply because so many applicants are from banks and consulting.

I've been wondering for a while. How does a young consultant/investment banker differentiate themselves from the pack when applying for a top MBA program?

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have a good idea of what you want to do after bschool
outside activities, like volunteering/charity work
diverse interests

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I don't understand the value in getting an MBA from a non-brand-name school (say, BusinessWeek Top 25).

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I don't understand the value in getting an MBA from a non-brand-name school (say, BusinessWeek Top 25).

Well, I somewhat agree. I just read an article about b-schools over promising and under delivering when it comes to salary. Very few schools actually are able to provide the network that can help you find the 6 figure salary jobs. I think the article said it starts dropping seriously after top 10.

So if that is what you are after, then go for the best school or don't go at all.

But, I imagine a lot of people have to go to whatever local U offers an exec MBA because work is paying for it. If you already have a job you enjoy and they are helping you to climb the ladder, then I certainly see no harm in getting that MBA, even if it is from a low ranked school.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering for a while. How does a young consultant/investment banker differentiate themselves from the pack when applying for a top MBA program?
Originally Posted by cchen
have a good idea of what you want to do after bschool outside activities, like volunteering/charity work diverse interests
An expansion on this - from anyone - would be nice
smile.gif
Tons of consultants/investment bankers have the same or similar reasons for getting an MBA. And outside activities can be hard to pursue when you are being worked to death. I still don't see how one should best approach differentiation when on a common career track.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the differentiation is over-emphasized. If you have done well at your job, it will reflect in your recommendations, and will come across in your overall application. And I think the &quot;common career track&quot; is less common than you think. Sure, many consultants and bankers do go to bschool after their analyst programs, but compared the entire pool of applicants, I don't think they make up the majority.

Within the pool of qualified applicants, the other factors admissions committees have to consider are what you want to do after bschool and how effectively the school itself can help you with that.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An expansion on this - from anyone - would be nice
smile.gif

Tons of consultants/investment bankers have the same or similar reasons for getting an MBA. And outside activities can be hard to pursue when you are being worked to death. I still don't see how one should best approach differentiation when on a common career track.

Differentiate yourself not on the basis of what you have done in the past but instead on the basis of what you want to do in the future and how a top MBA will help you get there.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My MBA from Princeton Business School has been really beneficial. It was a very difficult program, but the connections I made were priceless.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Personally I am having a hard time understanding the value of any school outside the top 10 or 12. The cost is just astronomical, unless you get a scholarship, and the benefits are minimal. The smarter way is to attend a part-time local MBA which is highly ranked for the field you want to get into. Have your work cover the cost of this, and work at an employer with a generous continuing education benefits program. Many of these part-time MBAs only take 2 years to finish.

Crosstalker

Reaction score
pebblegrain hit the nail on the head. Even at the top B schools, you don't really learn much. It's a networking experience, nothing more.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads