• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best way to take care of shirts? how often to wash and keep collars clean??

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Iron damp or re-wet with spray part of iron before ironing. This last part is time-intensive but I somehow find it soothing.

+1 on being soothing. For some reason I love ironing my kids clothes (they are 4 & 5), they look so much better when their stuff is ironed and I get a kick out of making them more presentable for no cost. Whilst I'm in the "zone" its not too much of a hassle to do my own shirts.
smile.gif

pendragon

Reaction score
I had a maid in my last apartment who used to do my washing and ironing. She was the best. Unfortunately, I had to move and my current maid washes my shirts, but refuses to iron. I may have to have her flogged.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
I had a maid in my last apartment who used to do my washing and ironing. She was the best. Unfortunately, I had to move and my current maid washes my shirts, but refuses to iron. I may have to have her flogged.

Should have done it the first time she refused. Now you'll never break her.

RMIT

Reaction score
I asked my maid to wash all my clothes with baby washing powder or liquid. And she has to iron inside out with a piece of fabric as a top layer.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
90% percent of the time my shirts are laundered after each wear. Once in a while I can wear a shirt a second time and it is worn on the weekend. The twice worn shirt does not make it back to the office a second time due to wrinkles. I have two launderers. My good shirts (Borrelli, Zegna) go to the $2.60 per shirt laundry. My other shirts go to the $1.80 per shirt laundry. I pretreat collars and cuffs on all shirts.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my dress shirts, I take them to the cleaners and have them laundered.

Casual oxford shirts and the like are simply washed and tumble dried.

davidmross

Reaction score
I wash mine after every wear using the regular cycle and regular detergent. They are NEVER tumble dried as it is a complete waste of energy and it is hard on the shirt. Instead my shirts are placed on hangers to dry overnight or in about six hours if I happen to be doing this during the day. I simply hang my shirts on the shower rod; my city is far too windy in the summer to allow them to be hung outside. They'd all be in the dirt after five minutes.

I have used a dry cleaner in the past for shirts but I find that the industrial iron kicks the crap out of them. It significantly shortens the life of the shirts and busts buttons regularly. I iron my shirt each morning. It's a part of my daily routine and always will be.

rjt65

Reaction score
Ok so i bought the non iron Brooks shirts on sale 3 for $199.

Washed all 3 than:

!) put one on a plastic hanger (after pulling out the wrinkles with my hands by stretching each area flat) to dry overnight.
2) put 2 in the dryer -gentle about 7 minutes or so, low heat
one than onto a hangar the other ironed

Results:
the worse one with wrinkles was the one not in the dryer--straight to hanger
the best was the one I ironed - took me few minutes to iron the shirt so easy
2nd best one in the dryer left on hanger

So the directions say no iron but that you should put them wash, than immediately in the dryer (light on the heat etc) than immediately on hanger. They do need ironing IMO, but real quick as the shirt snaps to form with little effort.

The shirts all displayed very little wrinkling after the wash, I am very happy with them and will be buying more

regards

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjt65
Ok so i bought the non iron Brooks shirts on sale 3 for $199.

So the directions say no iron but that you should put them wash, than immediately in the dryer (light on the heat etc) than immediately on hanger. They do need ironing IMO, but real quick as the shirt snaps to form with little effort.

The shirts all displayed very little wrinkling after the wash, I am very happy with them and will be buying more

regards

I've tried them. After I pulled them from the dryer I didn't feel the need to iron them. They are nice shirts but I prefer my must-iron shirts.

rjt65

Reaction score
I assume the feel or fabric is preferable to you ? I will need to get some more shirts and I am thinking french cuff-- maybe I will diversify and go normal versus non iron...

regards

Originally Posted by JayJay
I've tried them. After I pulled them from the dryer I didn't feel the need to iron them. They are nice shirts but I prefer my must-iron shirts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjt65
I assume the feel or fabric is preferable to you ? I will need to get some more shirts and I am thinking french cuff-- maybe I will diversify and go normal versus non iron...

regards

I like the feel of the must-iron shirts.

biasedcut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay

Totally agree - unless I'm traveling or really can't be bothered to iron, I'll go with my regular old must-iron shirts. I just loathe the hotel room ironing and/or shower steam treatment...

biasedcut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Green Lantern
90% percent of the time my shirts are laundered after each wear. Once in a while I can wear a shirt a second time and it is worn on the weekend. The twice worn shirt does not make it back to the office a second time due to wrinkles. I have two launderers. My good shirts (Borrelli, Zegna) go to the $2.60 per shirt laundry. My other shirts go to the $1.80 per shirt laundry. I pretreat collars and cuffs on all shirts.

What do you use to pre-treat your collars?

JohnnyO12

Reaction score
ok all- I know you all seem to hate starch, but I travel like 3-4 days a week. I have a cleaner that will launder and light starch then put 4 shirts in a travel box for me, for like 2.50 a shirt. It's great for me but now I fear I'm doing irrepable damage, is this the case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics