• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

review of mytailor.com

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I consider it a pretty big red flag when a tailor is not transparent and upfront about pricing, tries to upsell me on more items or more expensive fabrics, tries to talk me out of a superior construction method because it is not "necessary," or delivers something other than what I ordered as is not immediately willing to fix it. In my very limited experience with these kinds of outfits, they deliver sub-par items that are not worth the price. If they are trying to cut corners on such apparent things like canvassing, do you think they are not cutting corners on other less apparent parts of your jacket? It sounds to me like Hemrajani is not quite as bad as some others in this regard, but why patronize an outfit with whom you must always be meticulously specific and watchful if you wish a desirable result? You are certainly not going to get more than what you paid for there.

Well...I think that the question is whether or not they are satisfying their customers. Different customers value different things and they do a good job at delivering a range of products at a VERY competitive price.

I said that they weren't necessarily transparent about pricing, but said nothing about being upfront (if you ask the price, they'll tell you) or that they were trying to "upsell". I've never had them try to do that.

My fit tweaks are minor. Generally speaking my Hemrajani shirts are the best fitting that I own and cost about 60% of what I was paying to my prior shirt maker. The sports coat I bought had some initial fit issues, but these were promptly corrected to my full satisfaction. I asked for it to be fully canvassed and it is. Mytailor is what it is. It isn't Savile Row, but it isn't a fly-by-night operation either. In a world of comprimises, it isn't necessarily a bad one, IMO.

juuceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I consider it a pretty big red flag when a tailor is not transparent and upfront about pricing, tries to upsell me on more items or more expensive fabrics, tries to talk me out of a superior construction method because it is not "necessary," or delivers something other than what I ordered as is not immediately willing to fix it. In my very limited experience with these kinds of outfits, they deliver sub-par items that are not worth the price. If they are trying to cut corners on such apparent things like canvassing, do you think they are not cutting corners on other less apparent parts of your jacket? It sounds to me like Hemrajani is not quite as bad as some others in this regard, but why patronize an outfit with whom you must always be meticulously specific and watchful if you wish a desirable result? You are certainly not going to get more than what you paid for there.

I don't think they're not transparent, rather, they know what their pricing is, and will tell you what they charge for any given job or piece. The website actually lists the pricing for most, if not all items.

I met with Joe for some shirts the last time he was in NYC. We walked through the process. He asked whether I wanted fused collars, and explained the difference and benefits of each depending on the circumstances. I asked about different buttons and he offered to do the thicker mother of pearl and told me upfront what the additional costs for this was. Fabrics were laid out by the window and at no point did anyone try to steer me to more expensive books of fabrics, or lower quality fabrics in the same price range.

For the most part, I believe that people on this forum have very specific opinions as to construction and style. Most likely more so than the 'average' consumer. The average consumer is going to have clothing made to their measurements that is constructed as well, if not better than, anything they'd otherwise purchase off the rack, with a similar fit. When I was there one guy was measured and asked them to put together a basic business wardrobe for him in basic colors and conservative styles, paid, and left. You can request specific details and they'll do their best to include them, or tell you if they can't.

But at the end of the day, you're purchasing decently tailored clothing at a fraction of the price of true and full bespoke. It's a good deal for what you get, but you should know that it's not designer styling or going to be fully hand sewn. Depending on what level of service you prefer, and what level of detail you're looking for, it will either work for you or it won't. You probably know going in where you fall on that spectrum, you just have to be honest with yourself.

norton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by juuceman
But at the end of the day, you're purchasing decently tailored clothing at a fraction of the price of true and full bespoke. It's a good deal for what you get, but you should know that it's not designer styling or going to be fully hand sewn. Depending on what level of service you prefer, and what level of detail you're looking for, it will either work for you or it won't. You probably know going in where you fall on that spectrum, you just have to be honest with yourself.

I guess that's what I was trying to say when I started this thread. For those of us who don't live in a city like London or New York it can be difficult just finding good quality tailored clothing and even harder to find a tailor that can alter it to fit properly. I was very satisfied with the material, construction and fit of what I purchased and I can't think of an alternative that would compete in price and convenience.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
resurrection! I ordered some shirts over Thanksgiving, I have neither received them nor received any shipping notices. I called earlier this week and they said they would get back to me the next day. That was a few days ago and I have heard nothing. Is anyone else experiencing delays with their orders? My first order arrived in about 5 or 6 weeks if I recall correctly.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered some shirts Nov. 20, this being my first order with them. I sent several emails a week or two ago which went unanswered so I got on the phone with them; they claimed they were waiting to hear from Hong Kong. I was finally notified that the shirts should ship this week, putting them almost a month behind their promised delivery date. I may stick with Ascot Chang after all.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my shirts 8 weeks + 1 day after i placed the order. Mytailor usually answers promptly, although its been 2 days since i sent an email and am awaiting a response.

bigchris1313

Reaction score
I ordered a few shirts on Nov. 7. When they hadn't arrived two weeks ago, I emailed the company. Customer service responded the next day, informing me that production was a bit backlogged from a surge in orders, and that my shipment would arrive within the week.

It did. I opted for light blue and white on my first go-round in the 2-ply cotton. The shirts fit pretty damn well and are less expensive than what I was paying for BB shirts after substantial tailoring (giant waisted beasts that they are). I'm plenty satisfied, and fortunately, if I have any problems, Costa Mesa is only an hour away.

I'm confident your shirts will arrive in due time. I'm also fairly confident they'll respond to your email in short order--based on my awesome sample size of 1, anyway.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My $30 shirts from ModernTailor are better than my $100 shirts from MyTailor.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

I've never ordered from Mytailor (too many negative reviews on SF) but I get my Moderntailor shirts in about 2 weeks from the order date and have been happy so far.

blofeld

Reaction score
I tried a shirt from here last month out of boredom, and the buttons were some of the worst i have ever seen. plastic crap.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
I tried a shirt from here last month out of boredom, and the buttons were some of the worst i have ever seen. plastic crap.

Mine come with mother-of-pearl buttons that are first-rate. I had to ask for them though.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

Why? What about the fit and style and workmanship was different?

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Mine come with mother-of-pearl buttons that are first-rate. I had to ask for them though.
Yes, you do have to ask for them over the phone...at least that is how I did it!

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
Yes, you do have to ask for them over the phone...at least that is how I did it!

For my first order, I asked the guy in person when he came through town. For subsequent orders, I just wrote it in the comment section on their web form.

KevM

Reaction score
Joe came into town and I dropped in on a whim. I ordered two shirts from him. They took about 6 weeks to come, which I was expecting and ok with. I'm very happy with the shirts. I specifically asked for lighter material in the collars and Joe said that he would use Irish linen. I also asked for different buttons and I got very thick MOP buttons. The collar was free and the buttons were an $10 or so charge. People usually say they only like the Thomas Mason fabrics but I chose the superfine 2 ply and have been plenty happy with it for an everyday shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics