• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh if you want furniture grade speakers, look at Sonus Faber. They set the standard imo.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
^^ Hope she's willing to accept that the speakers be placed well out from the walls and not crammed in there somewhere.
At least a foot from each wall. You think they need more space due to rear porting? These will be used for mostly home theater. I like the look of some Sonus Farber models but Mrs. Dmax prefers the "airy" and "not a rectangular box" design of the M-Ls. At least I don't have to get Bose-sized cubes.
crazy.gif
This is what I have now, which I admit is not the best looking speaker, but they sound good and were good value.
340se_stand1_slr.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
At least a foot from each wall. You think they need more space due to rear porting?
These will be used for mostly home theater.

I like the look of some Sonus Farber models but Mrs. Dmax prefers the "airy" and "not a rectangular box" design of the M-Ls. At least I don't have to get Bose-sized cubes.
crazy.gif

This is what I have now, which I admit is not the best looking speaker, but they sound good and were good value.

Thanks, but those are too big and not in the current budget. Those need a dedicated listening room or a bachelor pad.

Not just because of the porting but because they are electrostatic speakers (and dipoles by consequence), which are generally more sensitive to placement than cone speakers. I generally don't think speakers like that are ideal for HT because of the small sweet spot but it depends upon how your room is setup and your seating arrangement. They're quite directional by their very nature. If you're always going to be in the sweet spot, then you won't care, but as soon as you're not you'll start to lose treble detail pretty quickly.

I hate to make general statements as far as acoustics/speakers are concerned b/c a) I'm not an acoustician and b) there's too many variables in any given room, but as a general rule, I'd say 1ft is not enough. Were I putting MLs in my place I'd probably start at 3ft and experiment from there.

Some of the problems of poor placement can be mitigated by good room correction in your avr or prepro, but you should always strive for optimal speaker placement even with good RC, especially if you are spending thousands on your speakers. It doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money and then ignore placement and room issues imo.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Oh if you want furniture grade speakers, look at Sonus Faber. They set the standard imo.

True but I would also add in the better Tannoys as well...probably Martin Logan CLSs as well.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
True but I would also add in the better Tannoys as well...probably Martin Logan CLSs as well.

hey, what about me?
eh.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
af - these or klipsch bookshelves? don't know model# - just looking for overall co. comparison...

Go with Ushers over the Klipsch. Much better sound in my experience.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has experience with Martin Logan Source or what appears to be their powered cousin the Purity? I'm considering upgrading from Ascend 340 to something better and more attractive. Since these are going in the living room, Mrs. Dmax has an input on what the new speakers will look like and she likes the aesthetics of these. FWIW, if I had to choose without her input, I would seriously consider Salk Song towers.
source_dark_cherry.jpg

Not a fan. The original CLS and even better IIZs were amazing electrostats. The hybrids have not been successful, IMO. I've heard most of them, some extensively. The MLs do well with the WAF, however.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Not a fan. The original CLS and even better IIZs were amazing electrostats. The hybrids have not been successful, IMO. I've heard most of them, some extensively. The MLs do well with the WAF, however.

Friend has the IIZs in a gorgeous dark walnut. Superb sound. Powered by an Audio Research VT-100.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go with Ushers over the Klipsch. Much better sound in my experience.

thnx - you da man
fistbump.gif
wink.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has experience with Martin Logan Source or what appears to be their powered cousin the Purity?

Have you listened to them? As already mentioned, the port and dipole precludes near-wall placement.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
thnx - you da man
fistbump.gif
wink.gif

You are very welcome roma. Sorry for the late response. The Ushers really do sound nice. I know the importer Atul (another McKinsey guy but don't hold that against him.
smile.gif
) and I have heard them on many occasions. We use the Usher Be-718 monitors to master our classical recordings. Revealing and musical.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Have you listened to them? As already mentioned, the port and dipole precludes near-wall placement. --Andre
Not yet, though I plan to. Just read the manual for these on M-L's website and they recommend positioning the speakers at least 2 feet from side walls and 2-3 feet from the back wall. Looks like these speakers may not work for me since I can only do 1 foot from each wall.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friend has the IIZs in a gorgeous dark walnut. Superb sound. Powered by an Audio Research VT-100.

inlove.gif

Ultra musical combination. I've heard the same combi with a Modulus 3 pre. If you get 11Zs and the stars are all aligned, there's not much better in high end audio, IMO.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
inlove.gif

Ultra musical combination. I've heard the same combi with a Modulus 3 pre. If you get 11Zs and the stars are all aligned, there's not much better in high end audio, IMO.

Definitely. Pre was an ARC LS-25 Mark II. Source was Aries 3 with Lyra Scala and Sony 5400ES. Divine sound.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads