• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
Yeah, I spoke to a rep about that as well and they said that they would write it down and let other people know.... I want to believe that if more people tell them they want it then they might actually do it. I think more and more people are weirdly shaped like me, medium chest size with arm LENGTH (not diameter) one size up. If only J.Crew or Uniqlo did that...

Offering Tall sizes is a competitive advantage for them. Few companies do it.

That being said Gap/BR really blow JCrew out of the water in terms of offering Tall sizes. They carry a much larger percentage of their clothing in these special sizes and generally don't sell out of them as fast.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sccoopy
I have searched the thread and did not find much information. Can anyone help me out?

Looking to buy some cords, what is the difference between vintage, vintage slim, and 484 slim? Thanks

Was discussed a little bit earlier...

Essentially: 484 = extremely skinny, Vintage slim = moderately slim, Vintage = regular fit

John_Edward

Reaction score
How else can I track this down? I've Googled all relevant terms and cannot come up with it. Nothing on eBay, etc. Let's be honest, it was an ordinary dark brown two-button blazer. You'd think they'd be ten a penny, but I'm not seeing them anywhere. Still a month or two to wear it.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_Edward
How else can I track this down? I've Googled all relevant terms and cannot come up with it. Nothing on eBay, etc. Let's be honest, it was an ordinary dark brown two-button blazer. You'd think they'd be ten a penny, but I'm not seeing them anywhere. Still a month or two to wear it.

To what are you referring to? I don't see a link or anything in your post.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the fit of the 501 for j crew sizing. It says to size up one from your normal j.crew jeans sizing - is this true, or are they going to be huge?

John_Edward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
My wool sweater started pilling after two three wears. I probably wore it every other day for two weeks, and it is pilling like crazy now. Ridiculous for a $168 retail sweater.

Yeah, it's maddening.

Like I said, that one I bought from GAP has really been quite good. It's held its form and still looks more than presentable. Curiously as well, the jumpers I bought a few years ago from Banana Republic are still in remarkably good condition.

John_Edward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
To what are you referring to? I don't see a link or anything in your post.

That's precisely the source of my problem. Saw a blazer on their site on Saturday. Went to order it online at work on Monday and it was gone. No mention of its existence anywhere! I've emailed the help-staff and they've told me they can't do a thing without an item number. Well, if I had that, I'd not be in a muddle!

I'm certain it was on J Crew's website. It wasn't another shop's. Would there be a permanent catalogue which would've recorded such a product?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
how tall are you?

6'2" but I need 35.5" sleeves.

ROYGEN

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the fit of the 501 for j crew sizing. It says to size up one from your normal j.crew jeans sizing - is this true, or are they going to be huge?
I suggest you try them on for good measure. i'm usually a 33/30 in most jeans i have... i got both 501's in Best Blues Selvedge and the Worn True Wash. True to my size for the former and i had to size up for the latter. Might end up returning the other one. Still deciding which one to keep.

Here are some pics for comparisons:

Best Blues Selvedge (right) / WornTrueWash (left)

L1070893.jpg

L1070894.jpg

L1070896.jpg

L1070900.jpg

L1070901.jpg

cheers.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Those washes are so saddening.

+1.
I would much prefer normal 501 STF.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ROYGEN
I suggest you try them on for good measure. i'm usually a 33/30 in most jeans i have... i got both 501's in Best Blues Selvedge and the Worn True Wash. True to my size for the former and i had to size up for the latter. Might end up returning the other one. Still deciding which one to keep.

Thanks. That's my problem, I'm a 29 inch waist normally and they only offer the jeans down to a 30 - there isn't any option to try on the smaller pair.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
+1.
I would much prefer normal 501 STF.

I'd consider getting a pair of Preshrunk 501s with selvage and a leather patch if the wash was a nonabrasive rinse without distressing or possibly even their crinkle cut wash with light distressing on the hems and pockets, but I don't feel there is anything I can do with those washes to make them look even remotely natural.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads