• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Improving ones posture

Le Samourai

Reaction score
Hi gang, any tips on how I could improve my posture? I tend to slouch quite alot, infact slouching seems to be my natural posture! I'd like to be more erect (lol) however when I force myself into maintaining a better stance I soon tire and lapse back to my slouchy ways. Any help would be great.
Cheers
Dan.

southgate house

Reaction score
I recommend taking a yoga class once a week. It's very helpful for posture and you will learn much about your back because it strengthens muscles that tend not be used by sitting in a chair all day.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Easiest question ever.

Squats
Deadlifts
Good mornings

Really. That's all you need. Your lower back will be a rock.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Easiest question ever.

Squats
Deadlifts
Good mornings

Really. That's all you need. Your lower back will be a rock.

End of the thread I suppose

mta265

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
End of the thread I suppose

Not quite. I live in Palo Alto and there's a doctor in the area named Ester Gokhale who has written and researched extensively on posture--both from a medical and ethnographic standpoint. She's gotten a big following not only at Stanford but around the US. Her book is called 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back and it has fantastic posture guides and exercises.

I would pick this book up and give it a read (at least) in addition to strengthening your lower back. After all, having a strong lower back doesn't necessarily imply good posture.

http://egwellness.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Fre.../dp/0979303605

Hany

Reaction score
Pilates is great for posture. More so than yoga.

Also, try to improve your sleeping position. It might be the reason for your bad posture.

ghent225

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mta265
Not quite. I live in Palo Alto and there's a doctor in the area named Ester Gokhale who has written and researched extensively on posture--both from a medical and ethnographic standpoint. She's gotten a big following not only at Stanford but around the US. Her book is called 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back and it has fantastic posture guides and exercises.

I would pick this book up and give it a read (at least) in addition to strengthening your lower back. After all, having a strong lower back doesn't necessarily imply good posture.

http://egwellness.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Fre.../dp/0979303605

how long does this take to work?

Kris

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear people in Palo Alto have exceptionally good posture. Must have something to do with all those tall sticks up people's asses.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some issues with posture in the past, and I found that increasing core strength to have the biggest payoff - work your abs in addition to the yoga and pilates already mentioned.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
Yeah, I hear people in Palo Alto have exceptionally good posture. Must have something to do with all those tall sticks up people's asses.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris

boxing[1].gif
laugh.gif

mta265

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghent225
how long does this take to work?

Doesn't take too long--the book recommends about a lesson a week, so about 6 weeks or so. I've found it really helps improve posture and relieve muscle strain/soreness from running, working out, etc.

Now back to those tall sticks

EMY

Reaction score
sleep without a pillow. it will feel strange at first but after a few weeks, it would feel normal. only do this if you are a back sleeper though.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get laid. i found out getting laid frequently contributed to my posture positively.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads