• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to repair dry cleaning damage on wool pants?

enigma77

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a pair of grey wool slacks that I like very much (Bonobos Tiger Sharks, if you want to know), and recently took them to the dry cleaners. It was the second time they had been dry cleaned ever.

I got them back the other day, and went to put them on this morning and noticed, to my chagrin, that the fabric feels scratchier, as if someone had magically (and evilly) downgraded the quality of the original wool, which when I got the pants was very soft and very fine. I have another pair of pants in black made from the same wool, and those came back from the same cleaners in the same batch absolutely perfect.

Could this be a result of the perc? Maybe heat exposure from pressing? Don't know if this makes a difference, but the pants have a tiger-stripe silk lining that was unaffected.

Regardless, I'd be very interested to know if there's a way to fix this. I was at the Bonobos sample sale the other day, and felt various pairs of the same pant that were there, and the wool definitely feels finer. Something must have happened to my pants.

My initial thoughts is that maybe there's a very thin top layer of crappy material that came about as a result of whatever the dry cleaner did. I could try putting my sweater shaver on the gentlest setting and try shaving the top. Or I could try a lint roller or lint brush.

My other thought was to give them a very gentle wet cold bath with a dab of Woolite, but since it's pretty nice wool with a silk lining, that sort of terrifies me.

Any thoughts? I can post close-up pics if people want.

Thanks!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the wool had some sort of finish that the dry cleaning removed.

Or, more likely, you have a poor dry cleaner.

Don't know to get that nice feel back.

Eligius

Reaction score
I rust you own a brush? If not, get one and use it.

Hans

Reaction score
Sounds like your dry cleaner ruined your pants. Whenever you dry clean wool, it sucks out some of the oily substances that make the wool soft and once that stuff is gone its gone. That's just how dry cleaning works, but some cleaners overdo it with the chemicals and accelerate the process.

I agree with Eligius: get a good clothes brush (mine is by Kent) and brush and air your pants after each use. That way, you only need to have them dry cleaned once a year or so.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
Sounds like your dry cleaner ruined your pants. Whenever you dry clean wool, it sucks out some of the oily substances that make the wool soft and once that stuff is gone its gone. That's just how dry cleaning works, but some cleaners overdo it with the chemicals and accelerate the process. I agree with Eligius: get a good clothes brush (mine is by Kent) and brush and air your pants after each use. That way, you only need to have them dry cleaned once a year or so.
I actually don't have a brush, so that's good advice. I have a leather shoe brush and a suede brush, but not a clothes brush. There's a good drug store by me that sells them (just called) so I can pick one up, though. I think they're the same 3-in-1 thingies that Amazon sells, not the Kent ones, though. http://www.amazon.com/Clothes-Brush-...dp/B000PT1E4W/ I'll give it a try when I get home. I do, however, have a lint brush, which I'm definitely going to try. I also might try that sweater shaver... Can you tell me more about these oils in wool? I've never heard of that before. Thanks so much!

Token

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77

Can you tell me more about these oils in wool? I've never heard of that before.

Thanks so much!

Ever heard of Lanolin? It's from wool.

enigma77

Reaction score
Oh wow! Didn't know that. I don't suppose smearing some all over my pants will bring them back...
eh.gif
Regardless, since these *are* Bonobos I can just return them if I want. I'd rather try to fix it myself, which would save me the trouble of getting them hemmed again... I'll post results here later today. Thanks so much for all the help!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow! Didn't know that. I don't suppose smearing some all over my pants will bring them back...
eh.gif

LULZ

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif
Regardless, since these *are* Bonobos I can just return them if I want. I'd rather try to fix it myself, which would save me the trouble of getting them hemmed again...

I'll post results here later today. Thanks so much for all the help!

why smear when you can spray.

I suggest Pam.

Olive oil version works better because of the low flash point.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
why smear when you can spray.

I suggest Pam.

Olive oil version works better because of the low flash point.

Heat at 550 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it might be that the cleaning agent was not fully rinsed out.
take it back and have them redo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads