• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's not an e-reader though. The whole thing about e-readers is that they use e-ink. The point of kindle is to have entire books on there. It's to be able to read for long periods of time without eye strain. Most people just can't read an LCD in the same way that they can read a book, or an e-ink screen, which is incredibly easy on the eyes. I'm sure it will be fine for reading the NYT or the web, but there's not a chance in hell i'd read an actual book on it.

Yes. I love my Kindle. This may sound strange but I actually prefer it to paper.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
Every maker is coming out with a tablet because (the guts of which are finally small/available/cheap enough) they finally can. Its a very limiting form factor not some revolutionary device.

The fact that everybody is jumping on it as soon as the underpinning technology is there doesn't tell you anything about the predicted viability of the form factor? Is it somehow less limiting than using a laptop, essentially an emulation of a format meant for a desk?

Besides, most portable gadgets these days are already "always on".
These are only comparable to netbooks which are most certainly not always on.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
my iphone is always on and considering this is a giant iphone...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see it...

The inspiration for all of these devices is the Star Trek PADD.

Unfortunately, I don't think technology is up to that level yet.

Now, if Apple makes a completely new OS that is fully functional, and makes the device lighter and more sturdy (like the PADD), then this device would kick ass. I think the processer is also not fast enough. The UI should be this responsive:

5-10 years in the future though... Hells yeah.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
my iphone is always on and considering this is a giant iphone...

Not all tablets are going to be giant iphones.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Still, no one has described even in a brief paragraph the difference between this and a net book.

Nobody has also talked about how this is different from an ipod and a macbook pro. I am sure you can look at the specs though and see very quickly how this is different. And then post it in a paragraph on here.

Originally Posted by javyn
Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't this being touted as a laptop killer? I'd think USB ports would have to go without saying in that case.

They are also touting it as a media player...with a 4:3 aspect ratio, hah.

Sounds like the fanboys are trying to have it both ways. And to honestly expect webmasters the world over to conform to your/Apple's standards re: Flash, because you don't like it....beyond laughable.

I hope Google has something like this in the works too, completely open source, to totally punk Apple yet again.

Metro: Netbooks are gay and so are iPads IMO.

PS: Flash Video > Quicktime any damn day.

Flash doesn't require a bloated app install, it's a much smaller plugin. And if I did want high quality vids, I'd go for Xvid and completely bypass QTime anyway.

Who is saying it is a laptop killer? Absolutely not. Look at what was demonstrated today in front of the crowds - look at those functions. That is what Apple is aiming this product to do and it looks like it does it well.

Someone on here brought up e-ink and I am curious about how easy it is to read on this kind of screen but I never used a kindle so I don't know the difference. I would think that would be huge.

The multi-tasking is another legitimate question.

Again, there are legitimate issues and then the "omg i hate applez" comments and this thread is filled with people that are posting the latter over and over.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
hold out for a couple of versions.

Within a year Apple will have added a webcam, worked out the multitasking thing, added standard USB ports, provided half a dozen firmware updates, solved battery issues they don't realise they have yet, weathered two product recalls, and tweaked the OS to be closer to a laptop than an iTouch.

Let the fanboys deal with the crap and be either lumbered with last year's model which doesn't do X or Y or Z, or replacing it and trying to sell version 1 on eBay to the highest bidder.

yes this is what I plan to do.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
is the back of this thing curved?

Why is this not a massive fail point?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's flat for the most part, but tapers towards the edges (similar to the MacBook Air). It doesn't wobble when laid flat, if that's what you're thinking.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
^ It's flat for the most part, but tapers towards the edges (similar to the MacBook Air). It doesn't wobble, if that's what you're thinking.

Ok... I was just wondering.

I wouldn't put it past them to create a device that you can't really use on a flat surface. They've done it before.
smile.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
is the back of this thing curved?

Why is this not a massive fail point?

If it were completely flat it would be quite hard to pick up off of a table with one hand.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I wouldn't put it past them to create a device that you can't really use on a flat surface. They've done it before.
smile.gif

Which device would that be?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
If it were completely flat it would be quite hard to pick up off of a table with one hand.

The pic I saw made it look like it had a rounded back. So that it would wobble when you put it on a table. Maybe just a bad angle/photo.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Which device would that be?

My friend had a G4 cube that would randomly turn off unless it was placed on it's side. Got a replacement, did the same thing within a week. Never could figure out why.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's flat for the most part, but tapers towards the edges (similar to the MacBook Air). It doesn't wobble when laid flat, if that's what you're thinking.
Per Gizmodo's Hand's On:
What about in landscape mode, sitting flat on the table? Well this is problematic too, as the iPad sort of wobbles. The back is not perfectly flat, meaning your typing surface is never perfectly flat, so the virtual keyboard becomes that much more difficult to use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics