• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see, $829 for the 64gb iPad, or <$300 for a netbook with 160GB... hmm....

The other thing is that this will suck for travelling. Netbooks are awesome in this respect, just fold it up and throw it in your bag, most of them have a sturdy enough case they can get banged around quite a bit with no problems. The iPad, having the screen exposed and prone to scratches/dents on the back as well, will require another special case, so in reality it will end up being bulkier and heavier to carry around vs a netbook.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Screen size? User-friendly interface? Better for movies/books?

Just throwin these out there.

Screen Size = Is it much bigger than a netbook? If so, that's a plus.

User-friendly = Are Netbooks or Macbook Air really that hard to use? I mean, seriously. If you can't use a Macbook Air you are a ******* vegetabke.

Movies/Books = Books, maybe. For movies, no way. People watch movies sitting down. The fact that this is a panel instead of a flip makes it difficult to watch comfortably unless standing.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

User-friendly = Are Netbooks or Macbook Air really that hard to use? I mean, seriously. If you can't use a Macbook Air you are a ******* vegetabke.

Movies/Books = Books, maybe. For movies, no way. People watch movies sitting down. The fact that this is a panel instead of a flip makes it difficult to watch comfortably unless standing.

Plus - 4:3 aspect ratio screen.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, it's pretty ****** for Appreciation.

You can't hold up the iPad, manipulate the time slider AND stroke off at the same time!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Considering the iPad is 9.56" x 7.47" with an inch to inch and a half of bezel, I'd say it's actual screen size is probably in the 7.5"-8"? I'd say that is about equal or smaller than some (if not most) netbooks.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick

You can't hold up the iPad, manipulate the time slider AND stroke off at the same time!

laugh.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick

QFT

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Considering the iPad is 9.56" x 7.47" with an inch to inch and a half of bezel, I'd say it's actual screen size is probably in the 7.5"-8"? I'd say that is about equal or smaller than some (if not most) netbooks.
It's 9.7" screen. Can people at least take a look at the specs before talking about it? http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in a nutshell... What is the difference between this and a netbook?
Netbook = ~$300, same size screen, has a full keyboard, WAYWAY more power (1.6-1.8GHZ Atom with 2gb of ram vs 1GHZ Apple w/ ? ram), only weighs slightly more (2lbs vs 1.5), has a full OS (windows 7, Ubuntu, OSX, etc), battery lasts just as long on the new models (7~10 hours), full flash support, more storage, more functionality. Want EBooks? Kindle for PC or any of the other ereader programs will do it just fine (hell even Adobe Reader), though reading on an LCD leads to bad eyestrain. Basically a netbook does much more and at a cheaper price, and even if you are a macfag you can install OSX and keep your overinflated feeling of self worth. Also taking notes on this thing is gonna be NG unless you buy the lame-o extra keyboard, further bringing up the price.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
even if you are a macfag you can install OSX and keep your overinflated feeling of self worth.

lol, I know a couple of people who did this on the Dell mini 9 or 10 and then put giant Apple stickers on them. So sad.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
lol, I know a couple of people who did this on the Dell mini 9 or 10 and then put giant Apple stickers on them. So sad.

Installing Mac OSX is one thing, especially if you like the interface more than Windows. But, putting an Apple sticker on the netbook is pathetic.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Nice one, jackass.
Uh, that's how LCDs are measured. A 55" TV is 55 inches diagonally. [edit] Oops, my mistake. Misread halfie's poast. [/edit]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads