• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am loving this thread right now.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Is this the 2010 version of the Ghetto Blaster. I can see kids now walking down the street with the ipad sitting on his shoulder.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
$600 for the 32gig, $500 for the 16gig, 29.99/month AT&T data plan. I love my IPhone, and see this as an extension of that and my laptop. Will kop.
Same here. You should have seen the stock move after that pricing announcement...Went from -3 to +3. Honestly, I think that the man is a genius. Its anything you might need when you dont want drag a 5 pound machine around.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a massive fail. There's no reason to get this really. I don't see this selling well. It seems like Apple but the bare minimum of interest in developing the device.

From Engadget:

•It's not light. It feels pretty weighty in your hand.
•The screen is stunning, and it's 1024 x 768. Feels just like a huge iPhone in your hands.
•The speed of the CPU is something to be marveled at. It is blazingly fast from what we can tell. Webpages loaded up super fast, and scrolling was without a hiccup. Moving into and out of apps was a breeze. Everything flew.
•There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.
•The ebook implementation is about as close as you can get to reading without a stack of bound paper in your hand. The visual stuff really helps flesh out the experience. It may be just for show, but it counts here.
•No camera. None, nada. Zip. No video conferencing here folks. Hell, it doesn't have an SMS app!
•It's running iPhone OS 3.2.
•The keyboard is good, not great. Not quite as responsive as it looked in the demos.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I fly for vacation, I usually take magazines+Kindle+netbook. Now that can be condensed into one, simpler device (every netbook I've tried has blown ass anyway). All I need the netbook for is checking e-mail and getting advice/directions. (This would be even bigger if I traveled more.)

It's cheap enough to carry to job sites and make notes, or take to class if I go back to school.

Don't understand all the whining - it's pretty weak as a word processor if you need to type quickly, but other than that it serves most of the needs of your average laptop user.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
When I fly for vacation, I usually take magazines+Kindle+netbook. Now that can be condensed into one, simpler device (every netbook I've tried has blown ass anyway). All I need the netbook for is checking e-mail and getting advice/directions. (This would be even bigger if I traveled more.)

It's cheap enough to carry to job sites and make notes, or take to class if I go back to school.

Don't understand all the whining - it's pretty weak as a word processor if you need to type quickly, but other than that it serves most of the needs of your average laptop user.

I don't really see that... no multitasking, no flash, no webcam. It's much more logical to get a netbook.

For books, a kidle-like device is much better because of glare

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1054866_legal_pad.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

basically, a lot of the same arguments when the Iphone came out.

Who bought the Kindle? Would that person pay $200-300 more to have a better eReader along with all the other functionality (watch TV/movies, surf the net/email etc)?

Once again, I have an iphone. I have a laptop. I will kop the IPad and I will not be the only one. Are you guys really not seeing the "big picture" and all the **** that this thing could be made to do? Wake up in the morning, on the way to work have every newspaper that you need a button touch away. Check all your emails and attachments. Surf styleforum, purchase from an affiliate. Watch last nights episode of 24. On the way home, read a book, program your DVR/Tivo, order dinner etc. All while commuting. Can you do that comfortably on your Blackberry? I'm not even touching on the possibilities for mobile business people like salesmen etc. This thing is useless, according to you guys, i guarantee you that Sony/Nokia/Amazon are not taking this sitting on their hands.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is marsupialed. no flash, no multitasking, no dice. and i own an air for fucksakes.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I am loving this thread right now.
+1. Apple product intro threads are like a well-rehearsed play... the exact same characters coming out each time, saying the exact same things, all in perfect sync. The "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame." guy. The "doesn't support Flash, it sucks" guy. The "no hardware keyboard, I'll never buy anything without a hardware keyboard" guy. The "why would you buy this, you can get an [x] with a faster CPU, more storage, more blah blah blah blah blah for only [x] dollars" guy. The "it's too expensive, Apple products are always too expensive" guy. The "lol Apple fanboys lol" guy. The guy that posts the obligatory Mad video and/or other parody. Guess what: The thing is going to sell like hotcakes. Over the next few years, every other company will come out with some Microsoft- or Google-based knockoff. Each one will be proclaimed an "iPad killer." The iPad will continue to sell like hotcakes.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great size for carying while traveling very light. Internet/email, books, movies. I like it.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Who bought the Kindle? Would that person pay $200-300 more to have a better eReader along with all the other functionality (watch TV/movies, surf the net/email etc)?

Have you tried reading a book on an LCD screen vs. a Kindle? You'll realize why people get the Kindle. Reading books on LCDs sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads